How to Change my DISH Account Name ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
In the Grand Scheme Of Things this is certainly a minimal issue, but it's something that's been bugging me for quite some time! I want to change the name that's on my Dish account but I have yet to find the person who can do that for me!

Long story short, some years back my daughter moved home for a couple of years to finish-up grad school. At the time I had a Dish account with no contract. She still had a year or more to run on her existing Dish contract. The "no penalty" solution was for her to move her account, but since we (seemingly) couldn't have 2 accounts at the same time/address I had to cancel my account that I'd had for 5-6 years. We moved hers and cancelled mine. My daughter has long since moved on. Any changes I've made have been to "her" account, but in fact it's one where I pay the bills and make the changes.

I've asked several times, including just now when I made a programming change over "Chat", but so far I can't find anyone in Dish who can change the account name and "ownership" information back to me.

Any suggestions...?!? Would one of the learned Dish reps. who frequent this site be able to help me ???

TIA and BRgds...

Take advantage of the situation if Dish can't help, you help yourself. Terminate your daughter's account. If there is a penalty clause, then do a dishmove to a location that can't get dish. Possibly a friends house etc. With that they will close her account. You then sign up as a new account and get the specials for a new customer. I would do that.

Dish is typically a painful company to deal with in these matters. When I used to live at my home in Jersey, I wanted two HD DVR's 622's at that time. Dish said that I have to subscribe to the America's top 100 to get the DVR's on lease and since I cannot get the line of sight for the top 100, they cannot add the programming and hence made me purchase the equipment for $1200. I found out at a later point that I could get the line of sight and the installer was just too lazy to try another location.

lots of back and forth and closing accounts. I don't think this company has merits in helping a customer. I'd strongly suggest, do as I say and make the best for you. I mean you have a perfect scenario to make it work, why be honest and let them run you over.

I finally decided to buy myself a AI Turbo S2 meter and since do all my installations myself. I now live in LA with yet another line of sight issue on 129 and dish installers said I couldn't get HD. I've since purchased a Dish 1000.4 Eastern arc and installed it myself with perfect signals to get HD and Locals on the wonderful CONUS 77. The only thing I miss are the local news which I get off air.

Sorry this is years of incontinent frustration speaking. Hope it works out for you.

as said above, close it, start a new account and take advantage of new customer deals.

The best option is to cancel and sign up as a new customer again. Otherwise, in order to do what you originally asked you would need her to call Dish to make any changes to the account since it's in her name. She can add your name to the account.

Tks all for weighing-in. I think I'll have my daughter try to change the account name by whatever means. Failing that Plan B would be to cancel/resubscribe. Before I do that, what will I "lose" by canceling? Are there any "loyalty" considerations? Between the 2 accounts I've been with Dish continuously for about 15 years, but I doubt they see the continuity. I have no contract and some leased equipment. I might choose to dump one of the older receivers on re-up but that would probably be the only change I'd make. If I take either of these approaches I'll report back.

Of course the "do nothing" alternative is viable...

If you have EHDs you will not be able to view the content after you cancel. Not even after re subscribing.

And, when canceling the old account, Dish is going to want the leased receivers back and will replace with new ones. Any content you have on the old receivers will go away too....

Tks Navy and Bobby - Glad I asked. At the moment I own my only DVR, and that was recently replaced due to a HDD crash, so I won't lose much if what's on the new one is lost due to account change. However, the EHD I have on my leased 211 holds over 500 events. I'm not sure I want to surely lose all of those! (Ultimately I'll loose them anyway when the EHD fails - I'm pragmatic!) Maybe I'll copy some of the "irreplaceable" stuff to SD DVDs, like sports events. Much of the rest is content that could be found elsewhere, or that would be rebroadcast at some point.

So I guess the decision is made - "Do nothing" alternative prevails, at least until I view/archive/trash the EHD contents...

Having tenure with dish is similar to a Job. the longer you stay, you have a false sense of stability only to realize the new folks are racking up more benefits than you. Now you make a valid point on the content but if it weren't the content you cared for as much, cancelling and resub would be the best and the most cost effective option. I remember my bill was 87 dollars when I started and its now running at 174. All I've added is HBO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)