How to choose RIGHT LCD Monitor for FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sathen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I thing that we should make this topic for those that are about to get the right monitor.
If I use My 40' Sony Bravia for 480p - picture is bad. Using smaller size improves picture because of lines compression. So I was wondering What Are you guys using and if that is ok let share this info with others. Current status on FTA shows only a small nr of HD programming for trhe moment. What is the RIGHT Monoitor then? Is there any switchable LCD Mon between 1080 and 480 what is the best size? What You guys think

I have a 42" Panasonic HDTV set up to my FTA system and it all depends on what the station is putting out for power/compression/source info.

Some SD channels look good
Some SD look like crap

HD looks good almost all the time ;)

Very RIGHT!!!!! 100%
For my testing purpose I got 8'' Audiovox and picture broadcosting in 480 look perfect. There is a couple birds downloading some good stuff so I am thinking on getting a dedicated 19 inch LCD 720p. Picture should be better then using 1080 Using a smaller size gives me rezolution close to 1200x800 (about) but this is good for monitors w/7-10inch size wich is a b it too smal for norlaldistance watching.So What you guys thing? Who has 32' 720p (max rez 1300x 780)? Anybody? What the pic looks like? Acceptable?.This is of course good for 480p programming.HD is a different story and I have my Bravia setup for that.

Very RIGHT!!!!! 100%
For my testing purpose I got 8'' Audiovox and picture broadcosting in 480 look perfect. There is a couple birds downloading some good stuff so I am thinking on getting a dedicated 19 inch LCD 720p. Picture should be better then using 1080 Using a smaller size gives me rezolution close to 1200x800 (about) but this is good for monitors w/7-10inch size wich is a b it too smal for norlaldistance watching.So What you guys thing? Who has 32' 720p (max rez 1300x 780)? Anybody? What the pic looks like? Acceptable?.This is of course good for 480p programming.HD is a different story and I have my Bravia setup for that.

just like iceberg said, i think the picture quality (SD) depends on the broadcast, it has very little to do with your TV,

I have always thought that a tube set makes a poor picture look better. This is due to it blending the edges and not having a sharp edge. With a LCD, the edges appear sharper. With a good source, the LCD can have a great picture. Even a 720 picture can look amazing on a LCD monitor. Don't get caught up in thinking just because a picture is 1080, it has to be better than a 720. The encoding and bit rate from the provider have a lot to do about how good of a picture one receives. One general rule would be, the larger the screen size, the more you are going to notice the flaws in the picture. Some of my older S-VHS tapes still look amazing for only a 480 picture.

That is not what I meant. Lets talk a bit about regular broadcast. If downstream is 480 and we have 1080 monitor Picture will be bad because only every second line carry the signal info
(NTSC standart is 550 lines) Now if you going to use TUBE TV set or Tube mon then there is a match Max rez of mon = rez of broadcast. and pic looks good. There is a different story if You have 1080 Monitor.Half of thelines is inactive and pic looks bad because there is not enough info on lines normally use for HD broadcast.Another words LCD displays just the empty cells. VERY BAD.
For HD signal we should use 1080 monitors. 720 is also good just because the above. If we getting signal with 480 then using HDTV MON is a waste becaause NO MATTER on the setting Picture will be as bad as possible.Now just say what if I use 7 inch monitor LCD. Picture will be good on every signal because your eye dos not see those compressed inactive lines and picture looks very acceptable. So The smaller mon the better picture for your eyes.The same story like in the security business.even the best High Resolution camera looks bad on big monitors.My Question is If someone using 720 monitor for broadcast with 480.My bet is that picture will be better then using Higher resolution monitor.

NTSC, is not at 550i lines, it's realy at 525i "Analog with VBI, 480i live picture areas in analog and digital formats":)

LCD and LED TV are fixed pixel sized depends on the size of the HDTV.

Anything under 40 inchs will be 1280 by 720p and anything over 40 inchs will be 1980 by 1080p. Now of course thing mights changes over the time.......

Now I know there is a prototype SHDTV, is being tested by NHK "Japan's Gov't owned TV Network" at 4320p lines at 60p with 22 audio channels on KA band putting out at 500 MBs at~ 300 MHz bandwith!!:eek::cool:

Google Translate

NTSC, is not at 550i lines, it's realy at 525i "Analog with VBI, 480i live picture areas in analog and digital formats":)

LCD and LED TV are fixed pixel sized depends on the size of the HDTV.

Anything under 40 inchs will be 1280 by 720p and anything over 40 inchs will be 1980 by 1080p. Now of course thing mights changes over the time.......

Now I know there is a prototype SHDTV, is being tested by NHK "Japan's Gov't owned TV Network" at 4320p lines at 60p with 22 audio channels on KA band putting out at 500 MBs at~ 300 MHz bandwith!!:eek::cool:

Google Translate
That is correct. To be even more precise it is even less then 525.Just take line 20 and 21 for close caption (CC) and few others for controlling so we know that european PAL system bits NTSCin all aspects.But this is not a VERY BIG Problem.US Broadcasting company fool all of us with its habit of compressing picture size so it looks more acceptable by viewers instead of working on something right.I understand that we are in a middle of transition between analog and digital but I am affraid that in the end we all ends up having a system already absolette.
Like Cellular. In Europe all countries already have 4th Generation and we are using 3G and only SPRINT things about the future (upcoming 4G)You say that anything less then 40' is 1280 pixels by 720 verticals pixels.Right. So where is the sense of using Big Screen HDTV for our 480 lousy microdots Broadcast? No sense at all. SHDTV looks promising but I don't thing american Broadcasting Company will go for that. NO NO!! For them is still the same: Don't touch anything that works.Even though the world is changing.They still have big incom from the old system so why bother..??. As for me: I am still trying to find a big and cheap monitor capable of showing satisfactory picture. So one more time: Is 720p 32inch Toshiba like 32AV500U right for me? (just the example)Am I waisting my money or just stick with old and big 32 inch TUBE that shows a perfect picture for 480p broadcast?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)