How to choose the specific tv to record DVR

secretpink

Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
boston
I can't figure out how to do the following - I have the 722 dual DVR set in dual mode -

When I turn to a channel, I hit record. Sometimes the option to choose TV1 or TV 2 comes up. Sometimes it doesn't.....

When I want to record something in the future, I cannot figure out how to get the option of choosing what tv I want it to record on.

For instance - I was in the room with TV2. In the room with TV1 Big Love was recording. In TV2 room Desp.Housewives was recording. I wanted Big Love to record on TV2 so I could watch it at that time without commercials and I wanted Desp.Housewives to record in TV1 for me to watch later. I deleted the recordings and tried to start from scratch. But it wouldn;t give me the option to choose what tv for what show.

Or a simpler thing that comes up is I want to record my shows on TV2 not on TV1. These are all future shows and I can't get the option to choose.

I've gone into Record Plus and disabled the record preference in hopes thids would help but it doesn't.

Does anyomne know what I am talking about or have a solution?

Thanks.

Enable record plus and choose a tuner. That is the default tuner that all recordings will go to unless there is a conflict then it will use the other tuner to solve the conflict. If record plus is disabled then whichever tuner you are using to set the timer is the tuner that will be used unless there is a conflict. You can't choose yourself.

if it's not doing what you want whilst the recordings are in progress, use the front panel MODE button to go to single mode, press SWAP on the remote then MODE again.

this will swap the two events to the "opposite" tuner.

For instance - I was in the room with TV2. In the room with TV1 Big Love was recording. In TV2 room Desp.Housewives was recording. I wanted Big Love to record on TV2 so I could watch it at that time without commercials

From TV2, just go to the list, pick "Big Love" and select "Start Over." Even though it's recording on Tuner 1, you have access to the file that's being created on the disk from TV2. You don't have to control the tuner to have access to that tuner's recordings.

Last edited:
Satellite tuners are inputs, not connected at all to the TV1 & TV2 outputs. Any tuner can go to any output, or the hard disk.

Yes, it's a bit confusing at first.

if it's not doing what you want whilst the recordings are in progress, use the front panel MODE button to go to single mode, press SWAP on the remote then MODE again.

this will swap the two events to the "opposite" tuner.
I'm having trouble getting my mind around this trick.

Does the tuner formerly labeled "1" now become permanently attached to the TV2 output/remote control? Or is this just a temporary reassignment, or something that only works for recordings in progress? How about playback of previously saved programs?

And how about the OTA tuner? Can I move that over to TV2 as well, either while recording or simply tuned in via the TV1 remote?

Just use the "My Recordings" menu. Messing around with buttons on the panel will only cause you headache. If both Sat tuners are busy, but the OTA tuner isn't, either TV can use the OTA tuner for live TV. Not sure if you're trying to use the Sat #1 tuner from TV2 while Sat #2 is busy.

I would love to see the option to always have it prompt for which tuner to record to added with a software update in the future.

Dish's goal, like the Apple OS of days past, has been to limit the user from hurting themselves by changing too many options. There are a thousand tweaks power users like us would like to have. Notgonnahappen.

DING DING DING! I am one of E*'s happiest customers (see sig below and you'll see why). However, this is the biggest frustration. Deciding where things record etc. I hope they pursue fixing it.

Is This Too Much Sat to Receiver Distance?

Remote Control is Going Crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts