How to delete ads in the browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are perhaps three levels of ads:
  1. Unregistered visitors
  2. Registered visitors
  3. Pub Members (subscribers)
The number of ads is reduced at each step.

Notice the link circled in red below:
upload_2019-5-8_22-41-36.png

Besides being a Lifetime Supporter, I also use AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin. Makes life a lot nicer, especially before I log in. Without them I am inundated with ads on this site. Sometimes there are so many its difficult to log in if I have a slow connection.

I realize that advertising helps pay the bills, but a flood of ads that exceed your available bandwidth is the reason ad blockers became necessary. If websites used ads more sparingly I would not use ad blockers.

Besides being a Lifetime Supporter, I also use AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin. Makes life a lot nicer, especially before I log in. Without them I am inundated with ads on this site. Sometimes there are so many its difficult to log in if I have a slow connection.

I realize that advertising helps pay the bills, but a flood of ads that exceed your available bandwidth is the reason ad blockers became necessary. If websites used ads more sparingly I would not use ad blockers.
I never actually log out of this site. There is no need for adblock when you do that. When the occasion happens that I get logged out, like clearing cookies, I just log back in and never see ads.

Yeah, I never see any ads here. I have uBlock Origin and ABP disabled on this site. No ads.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yeah, I never see any ads here. I have uBlock Origin and ABP disabled on this site. No ads.

I see 4 ads (including the popup).

When I use the usual firefox browser with ads, I'm not sure if it's malicious or not? How to remove them

To the O.P. here, a new member, his first reaction is that this is a malicious website. If I hadn't been here before, I would come to the same conclusion (but I know it isn't, of course). Without an ad blocker I see an annoying popup ad on the bottom that I have to click to get rid of, and three other ads. Seems excessive.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 2.52.16 AM.png

Last edited:
I see 4 ads (including the popup).

To the O.P. here, a new member, his first reaction is that this is a malicious website. If I hadn't been here before, I would come to the same conclusion (but I know it isn't, of course). Without an ad blocker I see an annoying popup ad on the bottom that I have to click to get rid of, and three other ads. Seems excessive.

To clarify, when I am logged in, I see no ads, even with ad blockers disabled. The number and type of ads seems pretty normal for the Internet these days for a desktop experience.

e.g.:
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 8.03.26 AM.png

I pay here to help keep the site going. Everywhere else, I have a mix of AdBlockPlus and ScriptSafe. The internet is a terrible mess without them. So many ads, massive amounts of java and other crap all trying to load at once, commercials on youtube, all blocked. A couple places I won't block ads just so they work, or if I really like them but don't feel like paying for a subscription (ie Pandora).

nickjonson, If you want a better SatelliteGuys experience, I say try using the Android/iOS app. The ads are more in-line in the forums between posts (post, post, post, ad, post, post...) for a much neater look.

When I use the usual firefox browser with ads, I'm not sure if it's malicious or not? How to remove them
To clarify, when I am logged in, I see no ads, even with ad blockers disabled. The number and type of ads seems pretty normal for the Internet these days for a desktop experience.

e.g.:
View attachment 138800
Oh crap, now I see ads even when I'm logged in. (Posts 6 and 7) :wtf2

Oh crap, now I see ads even when I'm logged in. (Posts 6 and 7) :wtf2

Sorry, but I am confused. Are you saying post 6 is you being logged in? If so, the "Log in" and "Sign Up" links should not be visible.

If not, please expand on what you are saying.

Thanks,
Ted

Sorry, but I am confused. Are you saying post 6 is you being logged in? If so, the "Log in" and "Sign Up" links should not be visible.

If not, please expand on what you are saying.

Thanks,
Ted
I was joking, silly. Posts 6 and 7 show ads because they are screen captures.

Reactions: ncted
Without them I am inundated with ads on this site. Sometimes there are so many its difficult to log in if I have a slow connection.
I've said the same thing before - unregistered visitors (who don't use an ad-blocker) are surely put off by the number of ads. They're distracting and even overwhelming and seem to be more prevalent than the site's main content.

Easy solution, sign up as a Pub Member and the Ads go away.
It's a much different experience without the ads ....

Many of us call this Home ... much easier without all the Ads.

As Scott has mentioned, Ads are required for the site to be here, as is the case with most sites.

Last edited:
Unfortunately without the ads there is no us.

We cut down a huge amount of them from what we use to have. :)
I have a business e-commerce website hosted by GoDaddy for $300 a year, with unlimited bandwidth.

I don't know how much you are paying, Scott, but you might want to consider a lower cost provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.