how to determine if pq are due to data compression

WhitePolarBear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Gulf Coast Texas
From time to time I come over comments about Dish is using more data compression than before, trying to squeeze in more channels on their lineup. I also see frequent questions about signal strength. So my question here is:

Is there any way we can tell the picture quality is due to too much data compression vs. signal strength? This would help us diagnose the root caue on our systems:

Here is my list. Please add yours to make it better:
1. too much data compression from DishNework - will be seen as blocky textures in the background (those little squares), getting worse with fast motion scenes. It looks similar to the case when you try to watch a video clip at full screen on your computer. Since they don't use the same data compression for all channels, you will see some channels are better than others. In my SD package, I think Sci-Fi, USA, ESPN and some premium channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime) in general are better, but not necessary.

2. weak satellite signal strength - most severe case you don't get any pic and your receiver send an error message (lost satellite signal, etc.) in most cases, weak signal strength translates into incidental pixelation on the screen, disruption, break up of pictures, etc.

3. weak signal strength between receiver and TV (SD with coax or RCA connection). The signal is analog signal. A weak signal would appear as "snow" or "noisy". Quite different from the weak digital signal in case 1 and 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)