How to disable bridging on s213

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bpjester

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Houston
Here is a temporary band aid fix that dish gave us techs yesterday to alleviate some of the issues with Joey messages 1228 1229 black screen, etc. Warning...this will disable on demand and BB@h and other online content at the Joey, but at least you'll have TV and DVR. Again, this is a band aid. Not a fix.
From Hopper. Settings-network settings-broadband. Next hit red button and select moca. Next press blue button twice. This will display a new button that says bridging. Select it and turn bridging off. Hope this helps some of you until a real solution is released.

While I haven't had this problem yet, I am very glad to see a temp fix already. Any word from Dish on the "proper" fix? I'm guessing install a HIC...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

I just learned this trick today as well unfortunately it did not solve my problems. I replaced my Hopper this morning and everything is back to normal.

Interesting, I tried just see the fix. I did not select bridging but when I checked the Hopper Network after backing out it was not showing Joey or the other Hopper, a soft reboot fixed it.

This Sticky should be to make sure first that only ONE connection should be made to the Internet. Direct to ONE Hopper or to ONE Joey with an HIC. Only if that doesn't solve the problems, should disabling bridging be tried.

This Sticky should be to make sure first that only ONE connection should be made to the Internet. Direct to ONE Hopper or to ONE Joey with an HIC. Only if that doesn't solve the problems, should disabling bridging be tried.

that has been the supported method of connectivity since release. one Ethernet connection per system, either a hopper or via the HIC. that more than 1 connection worked okay in the past doesn't change the recommended configuration.

it is possible that it's the integration software itself that makes multiple ethernet connections problematic.

I know both scott and I have warned that multiple Ethernet connections and or or using ethernet to connect hopper and Joey instead of coax might cause future issues.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Except that in the past having only 1 Ethernet connection would not connect multiple Hoppers to the Internet, nor would it allow for DLNA on the Joeys.

That said, we are now under s213.

Point was that I'm having a hard time believing that Dish never supported more than 1 connection as in the past that was the only way to do things. Even now on S213 you can disable bridging to allow for multiple connections. Not to mention the fact that the HIC effectively connects all MoCA devices to the Internet, just as people have reported conflicts with the HIC and S213. The solution for them would be to either remove the HIC or disable bridging on the Hoppers.

Except that in the past having only 1 Ethernet connection would not connect multiple Hoppers to the Internet, nor would it allow for DLNA on the Joeys.

we're back to supported versus what works. unsupported configurations can work just fine. but if it breaks... no promises it can be fixed.

i also wonder how much all of or viewpoints are skewed due to our technology affinity at this site.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

we're back to supported versus what works. unsupported configurations can work just fine. but if it breaks... no promises it can be fixed.
DLNA is an officially supported function....

Dish is the one that "officially" recommended that all H/J equipment be connected to get DLNA to work (unless you had a HIC). Then they went ahead and rolled out s213 without telling anyone that we should be ignoring their original advice.

i also wonder how much all of or viewpoints are skewed due to our technology affinity at this site.

It's hard to argue both Hoppers connected are not supported when techs were installing them that way and there were no warnings to the contrary. Whether "official" or not, it was common practice and in no way discouraged. For my own install I had to insist pretty strongly on a HIC, the tech pushed hard to directly connect both Hoppers. Dish has to support it whether the original designers intended for it or not.

Dish did at least semi-officially bless directly connected Joeys here http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/280398-dish-hopper-internet-connector-hic-dlna.html.

How long does this take?? I'm stuck on the "Hopper is configuring the network..." for about 5 minutes now. Time to reboot??

EDIT: and, of course, just when I post that, it finishes.

By the way, going back into bridging shows it is disabled, yet the button for "on" is lit.

Or perhaps it didnt take...my Joey still sees BB@H...

EDIT: it appears that a reboot was needed. My bridging is now disabled. Hoping it fixes my disconnects...

Last edited:
...and now with the latest release it is said that Dish will disable bridging by default... Hopefully you can still turn it on as needed. So how does that play into the whole "Ethernet/wireless connections are not supported on multiple Hoppers/Joeys" claim?

Syphix, not to worry... BB@H on the Joeys works without bridging as long as the Hopper that they are linked to has Internet access.

Now that I have S217, bridging is back off and only the hopper connected to Ethernet is connected to the internet. I have 2 hoppers and 2 joeys, Only 1 hopper has a hard wired connection to internet. Can I assume that I just need to turn bridging back on and it all will be well on the second hopper and joeys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)