How To Fix V Box III F2 Error Message?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
My Satellite Dish normally sits on my True South Bird 97.0W but I Left my Sat Dish on 105.0W on the weekend to watch NASA updates on the Curiosity Mars Rover. Yesterday tried to move the Mesh Dish back to 97.0W but I kept getting the dreaded F2 error message on my V Box III and the Dish would only move about 2 counts East or West before locking up & displaying the F2 Error Message again on the V Box III. From reading the V Box III manual there is nothing I can find on this F2 Error Message. Resetting limits East and West on the Openbox X3 Receiver would not fix the problem. I even switched over to the AzBox Receiver and reset the Limits on it, but the F2 Error still wouldn't clear. Luckily I was finally able to get the Actuator going again by constantly hitting the Limit switch on the V Box Remote and it finally alowed me to manually move the Mesh Dish about 20 counts to the East, and the problem corrected itself. Got this from the Troubleshooting Hints on back of the V Box Manual. Actually I'm still not sure what I did to get it going again.

My question is what does this V Box "F2" Error mean when it locks up the Dish and Actuator? Does it mean my rebuilt / regreased Von Weise Actuator from 5 years ago is in need of a complete overhaul? My Actuator does have quite a bit of Rust on it. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

On the Gbox, there was only ever one error code.
And it meant the box was powering the motor (moving) but there were no pulses from the reed switch.

That sounds like what you are experiencing.
I'd check it out as the first step.

You should check the sensor wires, make sure they are connected firmly to the terminals on the back of the VBOX.

Worst case, you may have a bad solder joint(s) from the poor production of that box so you may have to poke around and retouch up some of the solder joints.

Fixing some bad solder joints got my vbox going again and I relegate it to a backup positioner behind a GBOX that has worked problem-free for me longer than the VBOX ever did and appears to be produced better than the VBOX.

Yep that is what it means, unit is not receiving feedback from the actuator. When mine does this it is usually the wires on the back of the box need to be wiggled. Some day I am going to re-do that thing with screws, instead of clamp thing it has now.

Thanks guys yes those 4 Spring Loaded contacts on the back of the V Box III have always given me problems since Day 1 when one of them fell out, I'll recheck the connections - at least now I know what F2 is, ie bad sensor connections. Thanks a lot.

Let us know if you get it fixed, and that was it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts