How to Force Download a Cutting Edge (CE) Release

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Before you download, please read the inherent risks at Cutting Edge Risks and Guidelines. Here's how to force download it.

First, you will need to restart your receiver. There are multiple methods to accomplish this goal, but the preferred method is to use the menus. Also, make sure its in a format that can be read on whatever TV you need. I usually set mine to 480p since that is available on all my TVs. To restart your receiver, you can do one of the following:

• Using the remote control, select Menu -> Help & Settings -> Setup -> Reset, and then choose Restart Recorder. You will also need to press the DASH (-) key to confirm. This is the safest way to do a reset.
  • If the Menu reset fails, then try a Red Button Reset (RBR). Press the Red Button behind the access card door on the front of the receiver.
  • If all else fails and you are unable to initiate the download process, you may need to unplug the receiver from the wall outlet, wait for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
Once you have restarted your recorder, make sure you can access the receiver. In a few seconds, you will need to type in a special code to start the download process:

1. When the reset process starts, the LEDs on the front of the receiver will turn off.
  2. Once the LEDs on the front of the receiver illuminate again *OR* the the first blue screen is displayed (whichever comes first), you can start keying in the special code. I prefer using the LED if you can see the receiver. If you do this remotely over Slingbox or from another room, you have to wait for the first blue screen to appear.
  3. Press 0 2 4 6 8. You will need to press the keys slowly and deliberately. An easy way to think of this is zero-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, six-one-thousand, eight-one-thousand. Make sure that you ONLY type in the 5 numbers and nothing else.
  4. After a few more seconds, you should see a screen that indicates that the download process has started.
  5. Now, just sit back and relax as the update process will take about 15 minutes to complete. It may appear to "stick" at 97%, this is normal.
  6. If you have your receiver defined at AV1/AV2, you may need to control the receiver at DirecTV mode on the remote. Try AV1/AV2 first as you normally would to control the receiver.
Note: Do not restart the system again after the download process is complete. The normal download process includes an automated restart which is desired, but additional restarts are unnecessary and only serve to taint the debug process. If you find the download is NOT the LE version as anticipated, RBR the unit BEFORE it reaches 90%. This will revert the unit back to your currently defined software version and will not harm your receiver. After 90% could cause problems. It is safer to let the download process finish.

Note: If you reach the screen that says "checking satellite settings step 1 of 2" BEFORE you see an indication that the new software is downloading, then you will need to start over. The downloading screen should show up within a few seconds (it's not immediate). If it does go too far, then a Red Button Reset should make it start over without going through the entire startup process.

I forgot to mention the process goes better with a few beers on hand.

When will we see the next update (past 2024) for the H20-600 receiver??

Info for receiver's that are getting updates normally come out on Thursday's or sometimes Friday, occasionally before that.
It all depends on D*.

Not all get updated on a regular basis.
The HR20-700 gets the most, normally weekly, I think they use that one to test and if it all goes well, that then send the working data to the HR20-100 and H20's ...

Jimbo

I forced the update, it installed fine. I see the On Demand under the menu, I hit select and nothing, nothing happens at all. Whats going on, I see On Demand in the menu. Do I have to go to some specific channel to get content. Am I ineligible, please whats going on

I'm new to this so sorry if dumb question, but can this be done only during a given window of time? If so, is there a way to just get previous software upgrades during other time periods?

Technically you can force the download anytime you want but to get the latest CE it must be done on the givin window but if you do try and force the download not in that window you will go back to the last NR you had

To force a download from your remote use code 02468 after using a remote reset and selecting restart receiver.

Usually the BETA CE are available on Fridays and Saturdays between the hours of 11PM - 2:30 AM Nationally on any time zone. Some have reported it being available on certain Tuesdays at the same hours.

A good site to follow is from Doug Brott on releases for many different IRD/STB's, here is the URL:

DirecTV Receiver Firmware

Last edited:
To force a download from your remote use code 02468 after pressing the red button and upon the unit rebooting.

D* has requested that you DO NOT press the red button to just cause a reboot, it should be used only as a last resort. Two reasons for this, first is since a DVR is basically a computer pressing the red button doesn't allow the DVR to do a nice clean shutdown, less chance of garbage being written to the hard drive. Second, when the HR20/HR21's are connected to the internet performance stats are sent back to D* about the operation of the DVR to help them develop better code, pressing the red button wipes out this data and it never gets sent.

D* has requested that you DO NOT press the red button to just cause a reboot, it should be used only as a last resort. Two reasons for this, first is since a DVR is basically a computer pressing the red button doesn't allow the DVR to do a nice clean shutdown, less chance of garbage being written to the hard drive. Second, when the HR20/HR21's are connected to the internet performance stats are sent back to D* about the operation of the DVR to help them develop better code, pressing the red button wipes out this data and it never gets sent.

Thanks for the correction, then it's best to use a remote reset and selecting restart receiver, do not pick reset everything (you will lose all BETA in guide). I have updated my original post to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I think we should re-sticky this thread. It was removed a few days ago and now we've got first-timers asking how to download CEs.

This one is a good point of reference :)

I think we should re-sticky this thread. It was removed a few days ago and now we've got first-timers asking how to download CEs.

This one is a good point of reference :)

If I don't force the CE download now, will the new features be updated through the regular software update soon?

If I don't force the CE download now, will the new features be updated through the regular software update soon?
First of all, you can't do a CE download now, it's not during the window, you need to watch for the notifications for when they will be available and for what model/maunfacture, not all boxes get one during the window.

As for when, only when the brains at D* look over the feedback from the CE testers and they feel the code is fairly stable, they'll release the code for a staggered national rollout. It usually starts on the west coast and over a few weeks works its way east. BTW, when the code does start to go national there's nothing you can do to make it happen earlier, it's all controlled by D*.

Can I do this on my new R22- 100?

Yes - there is a release for the R22-11 tonight.

You can download after 11pm EST.

Once the release notes are available, we will post the notes in a seperate thread.

WELCOME to Satelliteguys & The CE program!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts