How to get 622 TV1 to accept UHF remote?

tjwgrr

Route of the Northliners
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Western Michigan
Purchased a 6.2 remote which included 8 different keys to make it compatible with most UHF equipped receivers.

Instructions included with the remote don't address the 622 specifically, but it does say I need to change "TV1 remote" from IR to IR/UHF showing on the system information screen. Buttons on the receiver front panel won't move the highlight to the "TV1 remote" nor will the existing 622 IR remote move it either.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe I'm just stupid and missing something simple here?

You will need the green uhf tab with the black number one inserted in hte bottom of the 6.2 remote. Then press the system info button behind the door on the receiver. Then program the #1 UHF remote with the remote address you want. For example if you want remote address 2 you press and hold the sat button untill all 4 buttons turn red, release, type 0 2, then#, wait as the sat button blinks three times, then press the record button. You should then see the remote address change from 1 IR to 2 UHF.

Shawn

Thanks! Green uhf tab with the black #1 lettering.....

I was trying the green uhf tab with the green #1 lettering- that was the closest one to the 622 the outdated manual had instructions for.

But remember, you'll need a UHF PRO remote (such as the 6.2 or 6.3) and not an earlier remote that uses the UHF logic.

Make sure the remote comes with a Green Tab, that has a (black) 1 on it, and on the side of the 1, it will say UHF PRO.

I key doesn't matter. It is just to help teh user keep them straight. However you will need to follow the steps above to get TV1 to become UHF no matter which "key" is in the bottom of the remote. The remote just needs to be a 6.2 or 6.3 and the only difference between them is that teh 6.3 has the colored buttons for back, skip back, skip forward, and forward.

Shawn

The key does matter if you want to use the remote for tv 1. The keys are contoured so they move a switch inside the slot they go into. You can leave the keys out and move the switch with a toothpick or something but you leave that slot open for dust or something to get into.

Sorry OSU I will clarify what I was saying since I didn't the first time.

The number 1 (green) uhf pro key is cut the same way as the number 2 (blue) uhf pro key. They are color coded to keep the customer from getting confused. So you can use a second 6.2 or 6.3 with a unf number 2 (blue) key if you want. The key does matter if you are trying to make a uhf remote IR only and that is why the key is contoured to move the switch.

Last edited:
As osu1991 said, the "key tab" does make a difference, at least on the ViP 622.

I have the following remotes setup for my ViP 622:

- 5.3 IR, non-removable Green Tab w/Eched 1, in living room to control TV1 using Remote Address 1
- 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, Green Tab w/Black 1 & UHF PRO logo, in master bedroom to control TV1 using Remote Address 1
- 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, Blue Tab w/ Black 2 & UHF PRO logo, in bedroom 2 to control TV2 using Remote Address 2
- 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, Blue Tab w/ Black 2 & UHF PRO logo, in bedroom 3 to control TV2 using Remote Address 2

If the tab was ONLY to help the customer identify the remote, then I should be able to take a remote with a "blue tab" and change the "remote address" from 2 to 1 and be able to control TV1. However.... Just changing the "remote address" doesn't work, until I remove the "Blue Tab" and either manually slide the switch to the 3rd position, or insert a "Green Tab with Black 1 & UHF PRO logo" which slides the switch to the 3rd position.

Since the tab does make a difference, it seems like you should be able to set TV1 and TV2 to the same remote address. I have done that in the past also. However, even though it might work, the two will eventually interfer with each other and then you will get an error message on one of the TV's. I believe the problem occurs when Remote 1 and Remote 2 are being used at the same time - but I am not sure.

Overlord66...

Although I think in the past few days someone listed a part number for the "Key Tabs," I haven't seen the "key tabs" available anywhere for the 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote.

You can buy a second 6.3 IR/IHF PRO Remote 2 from retailers, but it doesn't have extra tabs. However, you can buy a 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote Kit from Dish Technical Service. The kit comes with 2 reversible tabs that controls the 4 position switch.

I think The Dish Store may sell the 6.2 kit. It will work on the ViP 622, but some of the buttons are a different color, and it comes with more than 2 key tabs.

If you have an extra 6.2 or 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote, you could remove the "blue tab" and then slide the switch manually to the correct position, and then just leave the tab off.

Last edited:
Thanks csschrot! I used the green key with the black lettering- works like a charm!

FYI purchased a 6.2 UHF pro remote kit which contained 8 different keys. $20.00 including shipping......

Ok I'm at the shop right now looking at the key packet of the 6.2 remote (part number 141569). I stand corrected the number green number 1 key with the black print is "keyed" differently. I confused that key with the green key that has the eched number 1 and eched uhf pro on it. Those are the two that are keyed the same. That key is used for the 522 and 625. I had my model number mixed around. Sorry for the confusion about the keys.

Understandable. Especially since the 6.2 has 8 keys that can be flipped. I think some of the sides are dupes.

The 6.3 Kit only has 2 keys that can be flipped.

I wonder if you can call Tech Support and tell them you dropped your 6.3 Remote Kit and broke the Green Tab with the Black 1, and have them send you another one.:D

CSSCHROT -- Do you know if the Green Tab with Black 1 for the 6.2 Remote will work on the 6.3 Remotes? I believe the 6.2 has a 3 position switch will the 6.3 has a 4 position switch, but it may move both to the 3rd position.

Csschrot,

I just had a 622 installed. The tech service guy told me that Tv1 couldn't be controlled with a UHF remote; that I would have to get an UHF to IR converter. I have several UHF remotes from a 522. Can any of those work, or will I need to purchase a green tab UHF remote with the black 1?

A UHF blue 2 remote that is reversible to an IR remote came with it along with a green with a non colored 1 inscribed on it. This appears to only be an IR remote. Do I need to buy a 6.2 or 6.3 with a black "1"? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
At our office we are using a 6.2 remote with the green UHF tab with the black#1 on it. We haven't ordered any 6.3 remotes since we can't just order through our normal place. We would have to go through a different department to get a 6.3 remote. So I'm not sure is the tabs for the 6.2 and 6.3 remotes are the same. I would assume so but not for sure.

Yes, the 6.2 and 6.3 remotes are exactly the same except for the color of the buttons on top and the dish logo imprinted on it.

The 6.2 kit comes with four, not eight, keys.
- front=#2-UHFPRO-blue+black; back=UHF-black - this is the one that comes stuck in the remote, front side is for any dual-tuner #2.
- front=#1-UHFPRO-green+etched; back=UHF-black - front side is for 522 TV1 in UHFPRO mode; any #2 remote will also do this
- front=UHFPRO-silver; back=UHF-black - front side is for 811/921.
The above three are the same as far as what setting they push the little switch to, just three different "designations" to make it easy on the user. The black UHF side of any of them will operate a 721 or any IR or "old" UHF receiver (except 7x00).
- front=#1-IR-green+etched; back=#1-UHFPRO-green+black - front side is #1 IR-ONLY for dual-tuner receivers; back side is TV1 UHFPRO for 942 and 622 only.
This is the "interesting" one for accomplishing what the OP was wanting.

There are several threads already with comprehensive answers to all these questions already here, did anybody use the search feature before asking? Also the instructions that come with the 6.2 kit are exactly correct, in that the 622 behaves exactly the same as the 942 with respect to remotes.

Try this one: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=86005

Last edited:

Location of Power Supply for DPP44???

NFL Network: 60 Hours of Super Bowl In HDTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)