How to get Amazon prime on a Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The reason it;s only on the Hopper 3 is because, for the umpteenth time, Amazon insisted that any device that hosts the Amazon Prime app must have Dolby Digital Plus and that's it.

I'm sorry Hipkat. But if I want to hate on Amazon, I will! (Says the guy with about 10 or 15 Alexa devices.) They could easily relax their DD+ requirement and expand their platforms and viewership. Why not do that?

Reactions: ekilgus and HipKat
SOme of you are like conspiracy theorists...There is no hidden agenda or insidious plot to keep it from other receivers

I've heard what you said about DD+. But I don't think that's the whole story. If I had a product with problems I surely wouldn't admit it. That doesn't have to be conspiracy, it's just a protective business practice. I will attest the Joey has problems and they are repeatable. It isn't a leap to say running an app on it is a problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I've heard what you said about DD+. But I don't think that's the whole story. If I had a product with problems I surely wouldn't admit it. That doesn't have to be conspiracy, it's just a protective business practice. I will attest the Joey has problems and they are repeatable. It isn't a leap to say running an app on it is a problem.

I think Dish should have never added the apps. Netflix has been nothing but a problem, for example

I wouldn't be so sure of that. ;)

Based on Scott’s comment I think that Dish may be working on a new Joey receiver that would do HDR and the newer audio and video codecs such that Amazon Prime and 4K YouTube would be available.
I have 2 Hopper3 receivers but most families with only one Hopper3 now have 4K TV’s in multiple locations and the current 4K Joey is so limited. We all need to be patient and wait to see.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Prime video is available on the Apple TV 3rd gen, the slim 1080p one that still had an optical port, and it doesn’t support DD+.
Wait, you mean they had different standards for Apple than they did for Dish?? No way. Can't believe it.....

So, I don't know when Dolby Digital Plus was released but the third generation Apple TV came out in 2012.

Prime video is available on the Apple TV 3rd gen, the slim 1080p one that still had an optical port, and it doesn’t support DD+.
Uh oh. A nick in the argument.

And now with Amazon starting down the road with live content. Competitor? Hm...

Wait, you mean they had different standards for Apple than they did for Dish?? No way. Can't believe it.....

So, I don't know when Dolby Digital Plus was released but the third generation Apple TV came out in 2012.
I think he was saying that the optical doesn't support DD+. It's the same for all devices. You need HDMI for DD+...

I think he was saying that the optical doesn't support DD+. It's the same for all devices. You need HDMI for DD+...
Or was Amazon Prime added to the ATV Gen 3 prior to the existence of DD+? Or maybe Amazon just wanted a different commitment form Dish?

Amazon had a dispute with apple about...something. Amazon stopped selling Apple devices on their store and Apple removed the prime video app from the Apple TV devices that don’t have access to the App Store. Then all the way back in 2017 they came to an agreement and Apple added the prime video app to the apple tv 3rd gen and amazon started selling Apple devices on their store.

Now You tell me if dd+ didn’t exist in 2017...

i was describing the device so as to not confuse people with the 4th gen Apple tv, which btw isn’t the 4K one. The third gen Apple TV doesn’t support dd+ through HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts