How to get local channels on TelStar 5?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

klerg

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Land of the Free
I have a TelStar 5 satellite dish, and it picks up a lot of international channels. I want to keep the international channels and receive local US channels like PBS, NBC, ABC, and CBS. How can i do this? Some help would be great.

to get PBS you would need a 2nd dish or a motor to move the existing dish.

The only nets on KU Band (which is what you have) is PBS and a NBC feed (not up all the time). The other nets require a 6 foot dish (C-Band)

if i get a 2nd dish won't i need another receiver, too? Would a C-Band dish pick up PBS, NBC and TelStar int'l channels at the same time? Can i add a motor to my dish, or do i need a whole new motorized dish? How does that work? Do i input the position of the dish into it and it automatically moves to that location?

Last edited:
if i get a 2nd dish won't i need another receiver, too?
correct. a simple diseqc switch can combine the 2 dishes so you can flip between channels no issues

Would a C-Band dish pick up PBS, NBC and TelStar int'l channels at the same time?
yes

Can i add a motor to my dish, or do i need a whole new motorized dish? How does that work?
depends on the dish but normally yes you can add a motor to the existing dish. The reason I say it depends is I've seen some dishes where major modifying of the brackets is required to make it work. Most the bracket just slips right on the motor shaft

Do i input the position of the dish into it and it automatically moves to that location?
yes. Once its all set up and aimed properly when you change channels if its on a different satellite the motor will move to the right location

correct. a simple diseqc switch can combine the 2 dishes so you can flip between channels no issues

What diseqc multi switch do you recommend in my case?

Iceberg said:

Do i still need the diseqc switch with a C BAND dish?

Iceberg said:
depends on the dish but normally yes you can add a motor to the existing dish. The reason I say it depends is I've seen some dishes where major modifying of the brackets is required to make it work. Most the bracket just slips right on the motor shaft

What kind of motor do i need for my dish? It's a plain grey dish i can not see any brand on it. Is there a tutorial here to help me install the motor?

Iceberg said:
yes. Once its all set up and aimed properly when you change channels if its on a different satellite the motor will move to the right location

How long does it take the motor to move dish to the right spot, and how do i know when it reaches there?

The SG2100 motors are good for the average Ku dish. I have one and punished it in sub zero temps and snow/ice and it still works after 1 year. Some receivers will have a message showing when the dish is moving. I can actually hear my motor from my bedroom because it is mounted outside my window. For the Networks C-Band is definitely the way to go. I have a dish that is fixed at Galaxy 16 C band. Most of the networks are there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts