How to get rid of the Lease Fee on HD recievers?

cincyguy2k4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I was reading through the "100 channel HD" thread and saw some discussion about losing the lease fee on the account.

I have an early 622 on lease as well and I have to still pay that $7 fee while others dont.

Instead of hijacking the other thread I figured I would start a discussion on it.

Someone said that if you Dish up a 722 that you only pay the lease fee for 11 months and then it goes away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is not lease fee on the first receiver. The fee is included in your programing fee. There is a dvr fee, which is $5.98 per month. There is an additonal $5. lease fee on the second receiver, but I just upgraded my 811 and since I owned it, the CSR waived the second receiver fee on the 211. There are shipping me the 211 and I will install it myself and did not pay anything and my bill will not change. The lease fee on the 211 is waived forever. There is not a time limit on the waiver.

Your best bet is to call Dish and see what kind of deal the CSR will work out for you. If the first CSR will not deal, hang up and call back again. It does nto cost a penny to call and see what deal they will offer you. You have nothing to loose.

I have one of the earliest 622's, from February of 2006 (whenever it was introduced) and I pay no lease fee on it. I added a 211 last summer ant it has a lease fee.

First ViP no lease fee, 2,..., each have $7 lease fee.

There is not lease fee on the first receiver. The fee is included in your programing fee. There is a dvr fee, which is $5.98 per month. There is an additonal $5. lease fee on the second receiver, but I just upgraded my 811 and since I owned it, the CSR waived the second receiver fee on the 211. There are shipping me the 211 and I will install it myself and did not pay anything and my bill will not change. The lease fee on the 211 is waived forever. There is not a time limit on the waiver.

Your best bet is to call Dish and see what kind of deal the CSR will work out for you. If the first CSR will not deal, hang up and call back again. It does nto cost a penny to call and see what deal they will offer you. You have nothing to loose.

Actually although there isn't a lease fee for the first receiver on newer accounts, some of us seem to have older policies on our accounts because we upgraded to the 622 on a promotion (I think it was $99 for me on top of the $250 I'd paid for the 942, as opposed to the going rate of $199 for new customers) and the $7/month fee is stubbornly on the account.

I have tried the CSR route before to no avail.

This week I've sent an email to CEO @ E* to see what can be done. I'm out of contract so perhaps have a little leverage. But this point I'm not terribly interested in taking on a 24-month contract without a hardware upgrade, especially with the rumored "Eastern Arc" coming at some point in the future ("soon!").

CDH.

Yeah I am out of commitment as of Aug. I dont wanna do anything to kick off a commitment because I am waiting for the new HD box that Dish is going to have.

That thing will cost an arm and a leg and hopefully Dish does a decent discount (at least a hundred off) on it for the lease.

Yes, the most recent terms do not include the lease fee for the first STB on your account. If one is on an older promotion, as I was, it may be different as I remember them charging for all my boxes. Now with the latest upgrade I notice that they are not charging for my first STB. Any additional STB's after the first will either be a $7 lease fee if you lease, or a $7 Additional Receiver Access Fee if you buy your own 722. Dish gets you either way.

It makes much more financial sense to lease today than it did in the 1990's. How many years would it take to recoup the cash out for paying retail for high-end STB like the 722 compared to paying out $100 plus $7 a month--and all necessary upgrades to your system (LNBF's, switches) and labor included for that price? Long before that time I will gladly exchange Dish's yesterday's technology STB that I lease for the latest and greatest with all the new cutting-edge features we all want. The problem is that STB features and technology change very quickly these days and those new features are often coveted by us on this board as opposed to a TV that can do a good job of displaying your content for several years (5 perhaps). Please, 5 year old DBS STB's! No way. Not anymore. It isn't the old days when very little changes from STB top STB. I guarantee, in at least 2 years we will all be dying to get our hands on what Dish has dreamed up by then.

The lease fee on the 211 is waived forever. There is not a time limit on the waiver.

Forever [for*ev*r*], n; 1. Length of time it takes to file divorce papers, 2. Length of time you'll be working when the social security you're paying for runs out, 3. The period of time it takes for someone to find out a CSR played with your account without having the authority to and fixes it.

I am also being charged $7.00/mo., which is listed as a leased receiver fee on my bill. I emailed Dish and asked them to remove the charge (it never hurts to ask). I received the following prompt response:

"Customers with HD equipment who do not have an HD package will be charged a monthly $7.00 HD Enabling Fee." ?????

I replied reminding them that I have the HD-only (HD Absolute or HD Turbo, whatever it's now called). That was yesterday. I'm still waiting for a response.

Lease Fee

At present I have had the lease fee. I'm well out of contract now. I just switched from the AEP/HD pack to the HD Only w/ all the premiums. As went over the rate over the phone it does not have the lease fee. We will see next month if the numbers over the phone are the same as what I was told. Also I want to switch to the new VIP 722k when it comes out next month. Sure hope they offer a good exchange program for us "long timers".

Yeah I am out of commitment as of Aug. I dont wanna do anything to kick off a commitment because I am waiting for the new HD box that Dish is going to have.

That thing will cost an arm and a leg and hopefully Dish does a decent discount (at least a hundred off) on it for the lease.

What "HD box" are you referring to?

I last read that the 722k wouldn't be out until next year this time. Is there other news on that?

When I added the DVR Advantage, that took off the second receiver fee of $5.98, but I have paid the $7 for my 622 lease fee since I got it in February of 2006! As of today, I have paid $299 to get the 622 and $203 in lease fees ($502 total). How much is it to buy one??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts