How to GET TWC to service your area

fightingfalcon

Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
We live less than 2 miles from the ACTUAL TW tower... and less than 1/2 mile from coverage(where the line ends)

We have called and written but they seem they don't service us and don't seem to interested in doing so.

How do we get them to? Yeah I know a petition, we tried that. I believe they said we needed 3 names, I am pretty sure we have that... atleast 2 anyways that I know of. Is that not enough for them to come an extra half mile?

Any suggestions? How can I get this to happen? Our satellite sucks in its FAP policies. We are trying to get WASP or this new internet over the phone lines but they are not servicing our area atm here. Although it is more hopeful than TW.

So anyone can help me out here? I am in central NY btw if that helps.

If you got a neighbor you can get along with well then you can share access with them (split the cost of their monthly service or pay all of their bill if you have to). It has to be line of site for this to work. Buy a pair of wireless internet radios such as a Tranzeo. The ones with the 15 db panel antenna should work good enough for you for half a mile link. You point them towards each other to create the link. There are more technical details than that but if you buy a model that I use similarly used in the wireless internet industry then someone can help you out with it. There is a radio that is a little cheaper but has less gain called High Gain and another one called Deliberant. I see neither of those models listed on ebay but the Tranzeo models are. They run $150-$200 each. You will also need some cat-5e wire for each end of the link. If it is non line of sight due to trees then your talking a bit more money easily doubling the costs for a 900 mhz. Being that close I would think that it would work through trees with the cheaper radios. If you have no line of sight due to hills then you are out of luck unless you can do another hop to establish a link that is line of site.

I called again... and they said that they had a number of people request it(in less than a mile of road) so in my opinion that is pretty good... they are sending a surveyor out to look at interest. Hopefully it is enough...

What is a "TW tower" ?

Call your local TW's business office and ask them for a quote to extend their line(s) to your home. If you're willing to pay for this, they'll do it. If you get 2 or 3 or 4 neighbors to go in with you, the cost is split.

Be prepared for a cost in the thousands of dollars (I've seen estimates around $10,000 to extend less than a mile).

What is a "TW tower" ?

Call your local TW's business office and ask them for a quote to extend their line(s) to your home. If you're willing to pay for this, they'll do it. If you get 2 or 3 or 4 neighbors to go in with you, the cost is split.

Be prepared for a cost in the thousands of dollars (I've seen estimates around $10,000 to extend less than a mile).

They called and gave an estimate of 30K to go that extra half mile... seemed really outrageous in my mind, 10K? Okay I figured that much but 30K seems a little extravagant and they are only willing to pay $1.7k or so they say... that also seems really weird, I doubt there are too many places that would fit that ratio requirement... but I guess they said it so that is what it will cost.

I spoke to WILine a WISP and they said that maybe in a year they would be servicing our area(big maybe)... do you think it would be cheaper to pave their way or not?

5-10K ok, but I can't afford 30K to pay TW, if I am going to shell out that kind of dough I should be getting some of the profit:p

Are you in Bowling Green ?

$30k is the highest I've seen. That number basically means "we aren't extending the line and this cost will stop you from calling us".

Are you in Bowling Green ?

$30k is the highest I've seen. That number basically means "we aren't extending the line and this cost will stop you from calling us".

No Oneida county in central NY.

I figured as much but what do you do now? I mean basically they made their point, there is really no more hope is there? What really got me was the stupidity of "we will pay only 1,700... if that were true they would be servicing basically nobody but the major cities... also the woman said she would send a surveyor to check interest, then the next day I get a call saying this... should I call again requesting a surveyor?
I take it even a interest of 10-15 people wouldn't be good enough for them and that isn't likely...
I guess my only hope is moving:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts