How to Hook up a 3rd Receiver

sharee210

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hi.
I purchased a 3rd receiver to hook up in my son's bedroom. I went to radio shack and they gave me a satellite spliter, so my husband hooks it with it splitting from our bedroom to our sons. Got it work but only received half the channels on my sons tv and was receiving all the channels on our tv. and every hour or so a message was popping up saying problem with multiswitch. Call tech support sent someone out said our problem was that we never took the filter from the cable company off of my son's room's cable (we just used the cable that ran in his room from having cable previous) an hour after both of us using our tv the same message came up about multiswith problem, and wasn't working. Had to unhook son's tv an hook everything back up the way it was installed orginally. my son is still without tv:( My question is if that splitter isn't the correct way to hook it up shouldn't the tech guy that came out known that and corrected it? If this is something easy to do, I'd prefer to do it ourselfs being that they give your a time frame from 8-12 or 12-5 being we both work and have a hard time taking off to be there. If you could please help me.

we all have the same receiver a Dish Network 311 satellite receiver.

Just some info. when they hooked up the satellite they ran two cables from the dish itself into a splitter that one cable ran to the bedroom and the other cable ran to the living room.

you can't have splitters you need DP switch 34. splitters don't pass power and thats why you have problems. call dish and make an appointment and have them do it right

cant use splliter but can use diplexer, must be used in pairs, they allow a otherwise one way street to turn into a two way street..

A diplexer doesn't them any good in this set-up. They have three 311 receivers.

They need a line running from that third receiver back to the switch/LNB.

And if they have a Dish 500 with a Legacy or DP Twin LNB on it, they're going to need a Legacy or a DP Quad - or- a DP 34 switch with two DP Dual LNBs.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys Sharee!!!

What does the splitter your talking about from the dish say on it?
(guys this may be a switch)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)