How to hook up TV2 of 322/522 on a PAL European TV?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Hi guys. Do any of you guys have a PAL TV (sold in Europe) hooked up to a 322/522? My question is that I'm having a hard time figuring out what channel on a PAL TV corresponds to a channel on a NTSC system.

For example, the default channel for TV2 on a 322/522 is Channel 60 Air. But I have no idea what channel that is on a PAL TV. The TV didn't have a coax jack to begin with so the customer had to buy a converter from Radio Shack to allow the 322's backfeed TV2 video signal to fit on the customer's PAL TV.

The pain is that the TV doesn't have Auto-Program and we couldn't find the channel by a manual search.

Has anybody run into a similar situation or know what channels correspond with NTSC (sold in the US) TV's? Thanks.

Not sure this is possible. You may want to try connecting via a/v cables to your TV's composite, s-video, or component inputs (if your TV has any of these). I have a multi-system TV which handles both types of signals (NTSC and PAL) I purchased while living overseas, so I don't know for sure if this would even work if your TV is a PAL-only TV.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new TV while living in the US.

Gary

Thanks, Gary but with this TV being located not too close from TV1, we can't run anything but a coax line to the second TV. And guess what? This customer has 3-4 European PAL TV's so we HAVE to connect at least 1 or 2 TV's via coax cable and find a suitable channel to get the signal from the 322 receiver.

If those are PAL only TVs they won't be able to produce a picture... They need to be multi norm TVs (specifically PAL AND NTSC) otherwise they are just huge doorstops in the US.

Gary, what if those PAL only TV's have composite inputs as well? We were able to install using composite inputs on the TV but not by coax inputs. And TV1 was connected by composite audio/video cables but we don't have 20-50 ft. composite cables that we can fish through walls.

And if we were able to use the composite inputs on the TV to get DISH picture, does that mean the TV's PAL and NTSC compatible? Thanks a bunch!

Mpeg 2 does work on a PAL TV

I know that you can take your DVD and play it in Europe on a DVD player in Europe. The principle may be the same because it is MPEG 2. You may have to do some further research, but I think it will work.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Hi guys. Do any of you guys have a PAL TV (sold in Europe) hooked up to a 322/522? My question is that I'm having a hard time figuring out what channel on a PAL TV corresponds to a channel on a NTSC system.
It won't work via RF at all. It might work via s-video and separate audio. There are solutions, but new NTSC TV would be cheaper. :)

PAL uses different frequency for audio component and somewhat different scheme to encode color. Even if you find channel which matches (PAL channel is wider then NTSC), the picture will be b/w with no audio due to the reasons above.

Many DVD players sold in Europe would play NTSC on a PAL TV. Unfortunately, this is not the case in U.S. :(

mammothskier said:
It won't work via RF at all. It might work via s-video and separate audio. There are solutions, but new NTSC TV would be cheaper. :)

PAL uses different frequency for audio component and somewhat different scheme to encode color. Even if you find channel which matches (PAL channel is wider then NTSC), the picture will be b/w with no audio due to the reasons above.

Many DVD players sold in Europe would play NTSC on a PAL TV. Unfortunately, this is not the case in U.S. :(

Thanks. I didn't know this prior to the installation. I guess composite and S-Video is universal but not through coax RF. I'll let the customer know. Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

FrankJo said:
I know that you can take your DVD and play it in Europe on a DVD player in Europe. The principle may be the same because it is MPEG 2. You may have to do some further research, but I think it will work.
It works (likely via component video) because all parts of the signal (audio, luminance, and chrominance) are separate, thus hiding all difference between PAL and NTSC. Virtually any TV would sync on 60 and 50Hz and accomodate difference in scan lines (625 PAL/525 NTSC). You might run into aspect ration problems.
Also many TVs/VCRs in Europe (especially Eastern) understand NTSC via composite/S-video input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)