How to install a dvd player to the Receiver???

zidane349

Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I have a dishnetwork standerd reciever and i would like to know how to install it to the receiver so i can watch movies. i connected the 3 color cables to the resiever and i see that the movie is playing and my tv screen wont show the movie but i can tell its playing because when the dvd player is on it shows barly some picture. I think i need to get to the aux menu for it to show the picture but i dont know how, because when ever i press aux on my remote it just turns off the tv anyone know how i can get into aux so i can watch movies?

zidane349 said:
I have a dishnetwork standerd reciever and i would like to know how to install it to the receiver so i can watch movies. i connected the 3 color cables to the resiever and i see that the movie is playing and my tv screen wont show the movie but i can tell its playing because when the dvd player is on it shows barly some picture. I think i need to get to the aux menu for it to show the picture but i dont know how, because when ever i press aux on my remote it just turns off the tv anyone know how i can get into aux so i can watch movies?
1. What Dish receiver do you have?
2. Only a few receivers have an INPUT to be fed by other devices.
3. None of the Dish receivers accept RGB component inputs.
4. If your DVD player has RGB component outputs, they need to do directly to the TV.
5. If your TV doesn't have a spare RGB component input you are stuck.
6. Maybe the information you need is in your manuals.
7. If you don't have the manuals, maybe you can download them from the manufacturers.
8. Good luck and have a nice day.

Brian: Your points 4 & 5 are incorrect. Various A/V receivers have component video switching. My Sony STR-DE695 does a fine job with my E* 921 and my Sony DVD player. There's also external component switch boxes.

Simon,
You are of course correct. I was trying to keep it simple by not adding into the equation anything more than the Dish receiver, DVD player and the TV. I should have clarified it though, so thanks for reminding me.
My AV receiver has component inputs too but so far they are unused as my Samsung DLP TV has more than enough inputs for my 721, 811 and a DVD player.

If he has a tv that only has the coax input,then he'll need the ol' rf modulator from the local electronics store.

i connected the 3 color cables to the resiever
I'm guessing they mean "Yellow, Red, White" (composite video, Right + Left audio) and not "Red, Green, Blue" (component video).

If he has a tv that only has the coax input,then he'll need the ol' rf modulator from the local electronics store.
A modulated switch might be a better answer, e.g. RCA CRF940. Functions as input selector and modulator in one box.

Push button "1" to watch satellite, push button "2" to watch DVD player, etc. all fed to your TV on channel 3 or 4. This particular unit also has an RF input - thus, if you select any input that has no connection it feeds the RF input signal on through to the RF output.

I bought a used one on Ebay for $10 + shipping and it works great on my in-laws ancient TV that needed a hookup for cable box, DVD player and VCR - when finished it was much simpler for them to operate as well.

oljim said:
If he only has coax in, he needs a new TV
What if the TV only has two screws for 300 ohm twinlead from the rabbit ears? Can I connect a HDTV receiver to it? :D

video62 said:
What if the TV only has two screws for 300 ohm twinlead from the rabbit ears? Can I connect a HDTV receiver to it? :D
Of course you can hook it up to your 9 inch B & W electron tube TV - just add a 75-300 Ohm balum to your RF modulator.

And you'll be dreaming about the wonderful HD PQ - because you sure won't be SEEING it! :D ;) :D ;)

Of course you'll have to purchase an Rf Modulator to attach to your 811 or 6000 because neither has an RF output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)