How to install FTA Motorized set up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trk09

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2014
SE ,NC
Can you guys chime in on that topic. I know and have found valuable writings regarding the topic. If you guys can enlighten me and fellow members who may have the same issues would be appreciated.
In my case:
39'' Fta dish, single Ku Lnb,
90° pole, Sg6100 motor, Amiko Mini HD SE receiver (On the way)
some pics of what i have below.
Looking at what I have, the confusing part is the angle values on the dish and motor.
Would the dish be pointed to True South or Magnetic South?
Are the values on Dispointer website the values needed to be set on dish and motor or The motor manual number correct?
Please feel free to add and correct what i have written.

Thank you

Attachments

• dish and motor.JPG
    dish and motor.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 214
  • dish mout to motor.JPG
    dish mout to motor.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 234
  • motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 206
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    187.3 KB · Views: 217
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    298 KB · Views: 201
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 187
Can you guys chime in on that topic. I know and have found valuable writings regarding the topic. If you guys can enlighten me and fellow members who may have the same issues would be appreciated.
In my case:
39'' Fta dish, single Ku Lnb,
90° pole, Sg6100 motor, Amiko Mini HD SE receiver (On the way)
some pics of what i have below.
Looking at what I have, the confusing part is the angle values on the dish and motor.
Would the dish be pointed to True South or Magnetic South?
Are the values on Dispointer website the values needed to be set on dish and motor or The motor manual number correct?
Please feel free to add and correct what i have written.

Thank you
The dish/motor assembly must be pointed at true south (180°). When using a compass to do this you must use the azimuth (magn.) figure that dishpointer.com gives (this figure takes into account the magnetic deviation for your location). The figure you got in the pic you posted appears to be incorrect (not sure why). When I enter that latitude and longtitude in dishpointer.com it returns 188.8° for azimuth (magn). If you don't have or don't want to use a compass you can use the map on dishpointer.com to line up your dish. Select true south and zoom in on the map until you can drop the pin on the spot where your dish is mounted. Then find an object that lies along the green 180° line and point your dish at it. This will get you very close to true south. It appears motor latitude should be 33.9° from dishpointer. Use the figures in your motor manual to set dish declination.

Last edited:
Reactions: trk09
The dish/motor assembly must be pointed at true south (180°). When using a compass to do this you must use the azimuth (magn.) figure that Dishpointer.com gives (this figure takes into account the magnetic deviation for your location). The figure you got in the pic you posted appears to be incorrect (not sure why). When I enter that latitude and longtitude in Dispointer.com it returns 188.8°for azimuth (magn). Adjust the motor latitude to 33.9°. Use the figure in your motor manual to set dish declination.
Thank you for your input. By the way, here is the chart from the motor manual.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 172
I do not have your dish motor, however if the dish is supposed to be set at 29.5 deg? It looks like you have it at 20? Is the edge indicator left of the bolt the actual line to set? A little white finger nail polish on the edge would help.

I do not have your dish motor, however if the dish is supposed to be set at 29.5 deg? It looks like you have it at 20? Is the edge indicator left of the bolt the actual line to set? A little white finger nail polish on the edge would help.

The indicator is center of the bolt. It's not the best indicator. Nail polish idea is good tip. Thank you for that. The dish alignment on hold now until the receiver come in. By the mean time I am trying to get educated :)

Last edited:
I think you are somehow on the wrong screen with dishpointer. It should have motor latitude not elevation. Select True South / True North under the motorized section.

I think you are somehow on the wrong screen with dishpointer. It should have motor latitude not elevation. Select True South / True North under the motorized section.
I will try that, thank you for your input. also i will try the motorized again to see what kind of values will show, just in case i made an error when i had that picture taken.

Here the values for true north/south and motorized.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 167
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 175
The indicator is center of the bolt. It's not the best indicator. Nail polish idea is good tip. Thank you for that. The dish alignment on hold now until the receiver come in. By the mean time I am trying to get educated :)
Take another look at your calculations and make sure you are setting the elevation correctly. If the center of the bolt is the correct indicator, then you are still way off in your setting. Your own manual says it is 35 - declination (5.5)=29.5. You already have your Latitude set, and it does show an indicator behind the slot.

Of your last 2 photos, photo 2.JPG has the relevant useful information.

You can use an angle finder directly on the motor crank arm to set motor latitude. Starting from horizontal you move the degrees of your latitude location (34) plus the crank angle of the motor (35) which would be 69 degrees from horizontal measured directly on the motor crank where the dish is attached.

Take another look at your calculations and make sure you are setting the elevation correctly. If the center of the bolt is the correct indicator, then you are still way off in your setting. Your own manual says it is 35 - declination (5.5)=29.5. You already have your Latitude set, and it does show an indicator behind the slot.
Thats the info i was looking for along with everyone else's input. This was confusing to me. I was in a bind of which value is the correct value.

Of your last 2 photos, photo 2.JPG has the relevant useful information.

You can use an angle finder directly on the motor crank arm to set motor latitude. Starting from horizontal you move the degrees of your latitude location (34) plus the crank angle of the motor (35) which would be 69 degrees from horizontal measured directly on the motor crank where the dish is attached.
Thank you for making it clear. This is a very crucial info i have not seen anywhere. The motor manual days the crank arm is set to 35degrees and i was not sure what to do. If you look at the picture i uploaded for the motor is shows the angle degree from the motor to the dish mount to be 35degrees. Assumed since this is in fixed value when the dish is attached on the motor shaft i did not think anything else needed. You can see where my confusion come from.
Thank you for the info.
Ps: i have an angle finder and will apply the settings as you stated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)