How to Kill the BCS? - Anti-Trust Lawsuits!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Given your bitterness about the NFC Title Game and that the Super Bowl will have a 9-win team, I thought you'd be for it
Well that does suck, but I'm not for annointing teams. I like to see the best teams prove they are the best. If they lose that's their fault. College teams don't even get an opportunity.

Anders, let me also say this:

I know I picked Arizona to win and talked big, but I do feel bad for you.

Not only does Delhomme self-destruct, but the Tar Heels lose as well.

Granted, the basketball loss could ultimately be meaningless (I remember when Florida, in 2007, seemed to be digging a grave, but they got their act together), but I can't help but feel awful for you.

You can remove the avatar in a day or two; you already suffered enough this weekend, and don't deserve to wear the scarlet letter.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, maybe it should be.

Anybody could have a bad day in the playoffs, and get beaten by a lesser team. With the BCS, the whole body of work during the season is taken into account.

And in the playoff system, the players decide the winner, instead of a computer. The better team executes when they need to, and the better team beats their opponent. Can anyone really say with a straight face the risk of a good team 'having a bad day' is greater than just not having the teams play and deeming just 2 teams play for it all?

You don't determine the better team with a math formula and judgment calls that say team a with a record of worse than team b is the better team.

This is why in the NFL you play the games. The entire season does count. Aside from a couple teams the playoffs weren't set until the final week or two, every game matters for those who can compete. A big team loses a game week one, their shot at the ultimate prize is over right then and there.

The season can mean more though, I do think we'll see the re-seeding plan get more traction at some point. Winning the division and wild card spots should just earn you a spot in the playoffs, your overall record should then determine the seeding, makes the latter games where teams start resting people mean more.

Anders, let me also say this:

I know I picked Arizona to win and talked big, but I do feel bad for you.

Not only does Delhomme self-destruct, but the Tar Heels lose as well.

Granted, the basketball loss could ultimately be meaningless (I remember when Florida, in 2007, seemed to be digging a grave, but they got their act together), but I can't help but feel awful for you.

You can remove the avatar in a day or two; you already suffered enough this weekend, and don't deserve to wear the scarlet letter.
Thanks for the kind words. It was a baaaad week, but there will be plenty of good ones. Enjoy the run the Cardinals are having. For what it's worth I HATE the Eagles so I would love to see Arizona win this week.

The Broken Corrupt System is just that. I really dont care about the conferences or even a national championship but the bowl games are just way too many and meaningless. March Madness is exciting and even gets non-basketball fans watching and playing the brackets. In football, all we talk about is Heisman voting and poll positioning and the same old post bowl who got screwed out of a "chance". Thats the key.

With a good 8 team playoff, sure you might get a 10-2 team but they would have to win 3 straight games. That says alot against the best accumulated teams in the country. Sure it wont be perfect as someone will be on the outside looking in but it would be more fun, more meaningful and make for some great football. Isnt that what this should be about?

IMHO the best 2 teams played for the championship this year. Sure Utah went undefeated but I think that if either Oklahoma or Florida played Utahs schedule they would have been undefeated also. If Utah would have played either one of their schedules I betcha they would have had at least 1 loss or more.
Is the BCS system perfect? No....but even if you have a playoff system there would still be scenarios where a team would be left out....then we would be discussing how much the playoff system sucks;)

The Broken Corrupt System is just that. I really dont care about the conferences or even a national championship but the bowl games are just way too many and meaningless. March Madness is exciting and even gets non-basketball fans watching and playing the brackets.
I cringe when people bring up March Madness and wish that college football was like that. Sure it's exciting, but do any of those non-basketball fans give a rats behind about the regular season? Does anyone outside of hardcore college bball fans really care what just happened the last two months? There is a reason that 100,000+ fans show up for a college football game in August. It actually means something.

I cringe when people bring up March Madness and wish that college football was like that. Sure it's exciting, but do any of those non-basketball fans give a rats behind about the regular season? Does anyone outside of hardcore college bball fans really care what just happened the last two months? There is a reason that 100,000+ fans show up for a college football game in August. It actually means something.
Not really. College football gets huge attendance because people tailgate all day. Trust me when teams like Florida play The Citadel they're not really risking much, so it's not like all the people who go to the game are hanging in suspense, they go because it's fun and they can drink all day and grill food. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no reason to justify the BCS.

IMHO the best 2 teams played for the championship this year. Sure Utah went undefeated but I think that if either Oklahoma or Florida played Utahs schedule they would have been undefeated also. If Utah would have played either one of their schedules I betcha they would have had at least 1 loss or more.
Is the BCS system perfect? No....but even if you have a playoff system there would still be scenarios where a team would be left out....then we would be discussing how much the playoff system sucks;)

Yes because it's so much better to have controversy the top 5 teams have a claim to being number one and having only a couple of them play each other, rather than have the 27th team cry about missing their opportunity at a chance to win it all.... :rolleyes:

If that happened, we wouldn't care.... 'man, of the 7-5 teams that didnt make the playoffs UNLV sure did get screwed...' followed by an exciting battery of college football playoff games over the course of a month, instead of a month off for the best teams only to have their success dulled by a barrage of bowls that are meaningless until someone calls one the 'title game' to draw in a few more viewers.

Sure Utah went undefeated but I think that if either Oklahoma or Florida played Utahs schedule they would have been undefeated also. If Utah would have played either one of their schedules I betcha they would have had at least 1 loss or more.

The 8-8 (edit: oops, 9-7) ARIZONA CARDINALS are about to host their SECOND playoff game in the SAME SEASON.... this is why in the NFL, they PLAY the games.

Last edited:
The 8-8 ARIZONA CARDINALS are about to host their SECOND playoff game in the SAME SEASON.... this is why in the NFL, they PLAY the games.

Every system has flaws. The Cardinals are in the playoffs because they win in their weak division. Where are the 9-7 teams like Chicago or Dallas. What about 11-5 New England. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that the growing lack of public interest in the fiasco called BCS will bring colleges to the decision to kill it. The old bowl games look 1000 times better now in hindsight.

Every system has flaws. The Cardinals are in the playoffs because they win in their weak division. Where are the 9-7 teams like Chicago or Dallas. What about 11-5 New England. :rolleyes:

Which is why nearly every game in the NFL matters, early or late. Something is always on the line, it's just always apparent until later in the season. This is why they play the games. The 'undeserving' Cardinals beating opponents with superior records makes these 'well Utah wouldn't have won if this and if that...' arguments silly.

Set criteria for clinching playoff spots (winner of each conference) as well as wild card or whatever you want to call them, and have playoffs for x weeks culminating in the national championship. Each champion of the various college conferences should all have a shot at playing. Being in a weak conference doesnt automatically earn anyone anything, you still have to win the games against your 'weak' opponents.

And my bad, the Cardinals finished at 9-7, the same record as the Bears.

All they need to do is get Obama on TV telling everyone that the BCS is bad and then the BCS will follow him like mind numbed zombies and do whatever he says.

All they need to do is get Obama on TV telling everyone that the BCS is bad and then the BCS will follow him like mind numbed zombies and do whatever he says.

:haha Now this is the best idea for killing the BCS I've heard. The scary part is that it just might work.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, maybe it should be.

Anybody could have a bad day in the playoffs, and get beaten by a lesser team. With the BCS, the whole body of work during the season is taken into account.

...and they still get it wrong.

They need to:

1. Add at least 3 games to the schedule
2. ALL teams need to end with the same amount of total games played
3. STOP pre-ranking teams before at least week 3.
4. END bowl/conference mandatory tie-ins.

So lets count this up.... you want the winner of each conference in the college playoffs. Here are the conference winners for 2008. Lets build our "playoff bracket"...lol.

Navy
Troy
Boise State
USC
Utah
Cincinnati
Penn State
Buffalo and/or Ball State (do we include east & west, north & south or do we still have a conference champ?)
East Carolina and/or Tulsa
Florida State and/or Virginia Tech
Missouri and/or Texas
Florida and/or Alabama

All very deserving teams....now how do we pick the wildcards?? You already at least have a 12 team bracket how many wildcards should we let in??
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Ohio State
Georgia
Oregon
Rice
BYU
TCU

Starting to look like a big "silly" bracket.....I could go on but my point is everyone acts like it would be simple to have a playoff but in reality it's quite complicated because there are so many teams in college. If someone could come up with a fair playoff system I would be all for it. :D

Not really. College football gets huge attendance because people tailgate all day. Trust me when teams like Florida play The Citadel they're not really risking much, so it's not like all the people who go to the game are hanging in suspense, they go because it's fun and they can drink all day and grill food. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no reason to justify the BCS.

I agree. I go to UConn Football to tailgate, drink beer, eat and talk. The game is nice too. I also have basketball tickets (Men and Women). I go to each game and root for UConn to win. Aside from the majority of the women's games, I treat them as a each game counts. Most of the time the players do too. The Big East is way to big and tight and based on the rankings, very competitive. So a Cincin, Depaul, and Rhode Island games are very important. Then take a Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown and its ultra important.

So I agree with folks that regular season games should count and records do count, but I find this idea of national championship and bowls just a bunch of hoey (votes and rankings). And I am supporting a school that is trying to break into the upper echelon mix.

I'm pretty sure they go because their team is damn good and plays for something as well. Witness the lack of fans at Tennessee games for this lackluster 5-7 season. You can still drink all day and grill food if your team sucks, but many people choose not to.

So lets count this up.... you want the winner of each conference in the college playoffs. Here are the conference winners for 2008. Lets build our "playoff bracket"...lol.

Navy
Troy
Boise State
USC
Utah
Cincinnati
Penn State
Buffalo and/or Ball State (do we include east & west, north & south or do we still have a conference champ?)
East Carolina and/or Tulsa
Florida State and/or Virginia Tech
Missouri and/or Texas
Florida and/or Alabama

All very deserving teams....now how do we pick the wildcards?? You already at least have a 12 team bracket how many wildcards should we let in??
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Ohio State
Georgia
Oregon
Rice
BYU
TCU

Starting to look like a big "silly" bracket.....I could go on but my point is everyone acts like it would be simple to have a playoff but in reality it's quite complicated because there are so many teams in college. If someone could come up with a fair playoff system I would be all for it. :D
Boy! Talk about no respect! OU wins the Big-12 and has to get into the playoffs with a wildcard? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)