How to locate a splitter hidden behind drywall

RickDel

Original poster
May 18, 2008
I have a Panasonic TH58PX600U and a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300 (Comcast HDTV DVR) that becomes digital/pixelated whenever I watch fast moving sports and HD movies (Transformers on Cinamax HD is horrible - pixelated on every scene).
A Comcast tech came out and determained I have a bad splitter SOMEWHERE in the house. I've narrowed it down to an 8x8 section in the basement, but before I start cutting holes in the drywall I was wondering if someone could tell me if this tool can be used to locate the splitter that’s hidden behind the wall.
Tempo 701K Classic Tone & Probe Kit - 701K
701k.jpg

If so, how is it used? I assume I hook one end up to the exposed RG6 cable, then move the probe along the wall and listen for a tone change? I REALLY hope it's that easy, but I doubt it.
THANKS - Rick

Well Smith the TDR will only tell him how far away the split is from a certain location or if their is damage on the cable it will not "locate" the cable behind the wall.

Rick that device you have is mainly used to "tone out" lines be it twisted pair or coax. To see which line is which from point A to point B. Its not really a "located" to track a wire inside the walls. The one I have that is similar to that, you got to be real close to the cable touching it infact to get a good tone on it. You would want to use a cable locater if you are trying to track cable in the wall.

Something like this is more helpful Radiodetection 400stx - For Sale at Used-Line

But I doubt you need something this advanced it would be a heck of alot easier to just run a new line, then to find a splitter in the wall.

Thanks Guys... I think I'll just take your advice and try to run a new cable. Thanks Again

Did you consider using a metal detector (treasure finder?) against the wall to locate the splitter?? Most splitters are metal and there should be enough mass there to trigger even a cheap metal detector..Good luck..

That's a pretty good idea, but I already cut the holes, patched and painted. It's all good now (MUCH better signal).

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)