How to manually add channel to AM21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
I want to add Canadian HD channels on the AM21 with an HR22. I don't see any way to manually enter channel numbers - only by zip code.

How do I do this?

Last edited:
Sorry...there is no way to "manually" do it....(there is a way to add a second set of channels where there is overlap....but this will not work with Canadian stations)
One of the disadvantages to the AM-21 is no channel scan.

OMG!, you are kidding!!! I will miss out on at least 10 stations!!

Does your TV have an ATSC tuner? Then connect the antenna to the TV and watch them that way. Of course, you can't record them.

I mean how stupid is that to not have a scan function on an ATSC tuner????

Yet another thing I dislike about the HR series. The AM21 tuner sucks too compared to Dish tuners. It can't pick up some stations the 722 can.

I have a deactivated H20 with built in ATSC tuner. Can it scan and is the tuner any good?

I mean how stupid is that to not have a scan function on an ATSC tuner????

Yet another thing I dislike about the HR series. The AM21 tuner sucks too compared to Dish tuners. It can't pick up some stations the 722 can.

I have a deactivated H20 with built in ATSC tuner. Can it scan and is the tuner any good?

The H20 does scanning. As far as how good at scanning it is depends on which H20 model you have. There are two, the H20-600 and H20-100. The 600 model has a 5th generation tuner and the 100 has a 4th generation tuner. I don't have any experience with the 100 model so I can't speak to it's quality. However, I had a 600 model for two years in my bedroom and it's tuner was excellent. Easily better than the HR20 and AM21. The downside to the 600 is that it runs hotter than the 100 model and some people had their 600 fail or at least reboot fairly often due to overheating. I personally never had any problems with my 600. I had it well ventilated and not in an entertainment center.

Great, thanks. I have the H20-600.

Now will it scan ALL available digital channels or only the ones that Big Brother (Direct) says it is allowed to?

I hope they add a scan function to the HRXX since I'm missing a bunch of locals because of this too. This is one thing that Dish has on DirecTv.

I think the reasoning behind the AM21 and HR20 not having the scanning ability is that you need to have the OTA channels show in the guide. Thus, the entry during setup to enter your zipcode.

However, I see no reason why it can't do both.

I think the reasoning behind the AM21 and HR20 not having the scanning ability is that you need to have the OTA channels show in the guide. Thus, the entry during setup to enter your zipcode.

However, I see no reason why it can't do both.

Don't think that's it since DirecTV HD receivers with ATSC tuners from the H20 and prior all had ATSC channel program info in the guide (they called it Advanced Program Guide).

But, didn't the zipcode have to be entered in order for the guide to include the OTA channels?

But, then again I guess the PSIP information would be enough to fill the descriptions.

Still the DVR needs two weeks worth of descriptions.

Didn't the APG come from a local PBS station?

But, didn't the zipcode have to be entered in order for the guide to include the OTA channels?

But, then again I guess the PSIP information would be enough to fill the descriptions.

Still the DVR needs two weeks worth of descriptions.

Yes you did have to enter the zip code. Just pointing out that even when the receivers did scan for ATSC they had program guide info.

And for bonus points, if the receiver is suspended or the account is suspended, you can't tune the channels either.

I can see not recording them, but not tuning them either ???

Is it common knowledge that the am-21 needs to be rescanned occasionaly?

I have found (dfw) that the am21 needs to be rescanned to get rid of unused and find new channels! Here in DFW the am21 was finding 21-2 which was a surrogate for cbs, and radar on 4-2 that was not valid! It is mysterious that the DirecTV unit returned valid signal levels for these invalid channels?
Redoing antenna setup is REQUIRED to obtain VALID channels for the AM21!
Is this common knowledge?

Great, thanks. I have the H20-600.

Now will it scan ALL available digital channels or only the ones that Big Brother (Direct) says it is allowed to?

Unless your H20 is activated, the ota tuner will not work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)