How to Manually Record OTA on a vip 622/942

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Many people still do not know that they can manually record events from an OTA channel that does not have EPG data. Most are used to recording events that do have EPG Data. The ability to record OTA channels with out EPG Data takes a few more steps but it can be had. Now we step into the wild jungle of the 622 and begin to set up the manual timer..... But, first. there are pictures below for you all to view to see how this is done.. Now,.... I see an Aussie of a VIP 622 over there, lets go see if we can taime this wild beast and record some ota on it.

1. Press DVR on your remote

2. Press DVR again on your remote.

3. Highlight Schedule on your screen and press the SELECT button on your remote.

4. Highlight Timers on your screen and press the SELECT button on your remote.

5. Highlight Manual Timer on your screen and press the SELECT button on your remote.

6. IN the LEFT box under FREQUENCY use your remote to cursor under how often you want the timer to fire.

7. IN the Center BOX use your remote to cursor to the TYPE box and select DVR or EXT (if external Hard Drive is used. NOTE: THE EXT FEATURE IS NOT ACTIVE AT THE TIME OF POSTING! )

8. IN the Right box Use your remote to cursor to the Channels box and select the proper channel. (NOTE: I used WGN 9-01 which dish does not carry over the EPG GUIDE DATA from its SD version to the OTA HD version IN CHICAGO)

9. Use your remote to scroll over and select edit time and press the SELECT button on your remote control.

10. Use your remote to cursor to the times you want the timer to fire and use the key pad on the remote control to set the time. For 930 you would select 9 3 0 on your remote. for 1130 you would select 1 1 3 0 on your remote. Then use your remote to cursor to am or pm and select when you want your timer fire in the am slot or pm slot. Do the same for the end time.

11. Use your remote to cursor to done and press SELECT On your remote control.

12. Highlight the create timer button with your remote control and press SELECT on your remote control.

13. An attention box will appear for 2-3 seconds

14. Verify the timer is in the timers list and select done.

15. You should now see the timer in the daily schedule box and select done.

16. Press VIEW LIVE TV button to quickly exit out of all the menus.

17. In your guide when you scroll over that channel you set the timer on and will not see a timer in the guide.

18. Scroll to the time you set the timer up for the channel and the timer icon appears.

19. When the time comes for the timer to fire the timer fires.

20. The recording shows up as DIGITAL SERVICE in the my recordings option (dvr button twice) for later viewing.

Attachments

• Record manual ota01.jpg
    Record manual ota01.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 582
  • Record manual ota02.jpg
    Record manual ota02.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Record manual ota03.jpg
    Record manual ota03.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 467
  • Record manual ota04.jpg
    Record manual ota04.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Record manual ota05.jpg
    Record manual ota05.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 397
  • Record manual ota06.jpg
    Record manual ota06.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Record manual ota07.jpg
    Record manual ota07.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 427
  • Record manual ota08.jpg
    Record manual ota08.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Record manual ota09.jpg
    Record manual ota09.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Record manual ota10.jpg
    Record manual ota10.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Record manual ota11.jpg
    Record manual ota11.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Record manual ota12.jpg
    Record manual ota12.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Record manual ota13.jpg
    Record manual ota13.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 417
  • Record manual ota14.jpg
    Record manual ota14.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Record manual ota15.jpg
    Record manual ota15.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 394
  • Record manual ota16.jpg
    Record manual ota16.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 444
Can you give me some more details on how to create a manual timer? :devil:

Seriously though, that is the only way I can record an ota event with my 921 when I had it . My 942 when I had it and now my 622 . Dish will never get my locals up on the satellite .

Beaumont/Pt. Arthur, Texas Dma #138

Nope I talked to the Cbs station engineer where all the stations will share a common link to the pop, and he said Dish came by like a year ago and said everything was a go and to wait till they get to them. HOPEFULLY with the launch of Echostar 10 and the move of the locals to it, we will see our locals and the rest of the dmas left uplinked by years end.

Dish should be the first sat company to uplink all the sd locals out there. Imagine how well they could compete when they say : "We care locals in ALL MARKETS IN THE U.S.A. "

MikeD-C05 said:
Can you give me some more details on how to create a manual timer? :devil:

Seriously though, that is the only way I can record an ota event with my 921 when I had it . My 942 when I had it and now my 622 . Dish will never get my locals up on the satellite .

Beaumont/Pt. Arthur, Texas Dma #138

Like seriously there was one person that said you couldn't do this in another thread.. So if this thread helps out one person then its job is done.. I'm sure there is more who are not registered that are afraid to speak up and ask things like this. If it helps them out too then my job is done :)

You can also go through Menu- 7 (daily schedule) - timers- manual timer pick channel and time yada yada

I will hijack this thread to once again crab about Dish's decision to mark OTA with no guide data as "NR/AO". Those of us that have locked out the more risque programming because we have kids are forced to enter the lock code to access any OTA program. If they used "NR" instead, it wouldn't trigger the ratings lock.

Yes, let's fire off something to ceo@echostar.com

It is annoying as hell to have to come in and enter the lock code all the time
because of the way they have done the ratings filter. I have 3 kids, so it gets old real fast.

To: goaliebob99

goaliebob99, I asked the following ? a few weeks ago in the 622 review thread but didn't get an answer. You seem to be someone on top of things and i'm sure you can answer it for me;) .

I have a 622 but have no OTA available where I live. But I do have a basic cable feed in the house (ch 2-13). I found that with my SXRD TV that I can scan the cable feed and pickup all our local networks in HD off the cable feed. Two of these are in the ch 79 range and the other two are around ch 85. They are sub channels that are digital and riding on the cable feed. While I am happy about this until Dish decides to give us "rural" folks DNS in HD it still does not allow me to harddrive shows.
This brings me to my actual question (about time). What is the scan range of the 622 for digital channels? Will it find the above range with a scan? I can't find the answer in the manual so I am hoping that you or someone knows the answer. Thanks, Gerry

The 622 will scan RF 2-69 (both VHF and UHF). All commercially licences broadcast TV is in this range. Of course, the 622 has an ATSC 8-VSB tuner which can only handle over-the-air broadcasts. In almost all cases, your cable company is using QAM to carry their analog and digital channels. Your 622 cannot handle QAM regardless of their frequency assignment from the cable plant.

Your Sony SXRD has an integrated OTA (8-VSB) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuner...the 622 does not.

Last edited:
Thanks!

riffjim4069 said:
The 622 will scan RF 2-69 (both VHF and UHF). All commercially licences broadcast TV is in this range. Of course, the 622 has an ATSC 8-VSB tuner which can only handle over-the-air broadcasts. In almost all cases, your cable company is using QAM to carry their analog and digital channels. Your 622 cannot handle QAM regardless of their frequency assignment from the cable plant.

Your Sony SXRD has an integrated OTA (8-VSB) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuner...the 622 does not.

I thought this was the case but didn't want to hook the cable to the 622 and try the scan (requires alot of moving things) it someone knew the answer. I do appreciate it and see that it would be fruitless. Will just have to get by with what I have for the time being.. Again, Thanks. Gerry

goaliebob99 said:
Like seriously there was one person that said you couldn't do this in another thread.. So if this thread helps out one person then its job is done.. I'm sure there is more who are not registered that are afraid to speak up and ask things like this. If it helps them out too then my job is done :)

Goalie Bob it is called sarcasm. :rolleyes: That is why the devil sign was there. I have no problem with anyone telling someone how to make a manual timer for ota channels. Don't be so defensive. I was only trying to inject a little bit of humor in to a boring day. :)

MikeD-C05 said:
Goalie Bob it is called sarcasm. :rolleyes: That is why the devil sign was there. I have no problem with anyone telling someone how to make a manual timer for ota channels. Don't be so defensive. I was only trying to inject a little bit of humor in to a boring day. :)

I know your being sarcastic.. I wanted to give a reason so no one took it the wrong way :) Neather do I as you can see :devil:

This probably has been answered before, but is it possible to record two OTA at the same time? e.g. is it possible to record NBC 'My Name is Earl' and CBS 'CSI', their time slots overlap.

Nope

nclee said:
This probably has been answered before, but is it possible to record two OTA at the same time? e.g. is it possible to record NBC 'My Name is Earl' and CBS 'CSI', their time slots overlap.

622 only has one OTA tuner, so you can only record one show in any given time slot. Tough choice on ole Earl vs CSI:rolleyes: . Gerry

nclee said:

But if you get your locals via dish you can record one off OTA and one off the satellite.

I have noticed a number of people asking about having the OTA digital channel information appear in the program guide. I don't have a 622 yet, but with my 921 as soon as I installed a Superdish antenna, the program information for the local digital channels appeared with all the information that would be there if I was getting them from Dish. I have never subscribed to the local channels.. but put the 105 antenna up as a whim. When I want to record digital OTA Nascar races from my local Fox station, it is as easy as recording something on Speed or FX. Maybe we all will have this the same way when the local Superdish channels get moved to 110.
If I unhook the 105 feed, the local information goes away.

I agree totally. I just had a 622 installed yesterday, and this stupid NR/AO for no guide locals is very annoying. On my 811 is just gives a NR rating. Come on DISH it can't be that difficult to fix. :confused:

I will hijack this thread to once again crab about Dish's decision to mark OTA with no guide data as "NR/AO". Those of us that have locked out the more risque programming because we have kids are forced to enter the lock code to access any OTA program. If they used "NR" instead, it wouldn't trigger the ratings lock.

I have a 622 connected to an OTA antenna, and get all the digital ATSC locals (HD and SD), but they all have not EPG (they show Digital service).
My question is: why is that? Should the EPG info be embedded in the OTA streams? Is the 622 dropping all that info on the floor?
Before installing the Antenna I had my locals via Dish ($5 / month), the I installed and connected the antenna, and I was getting the EPG on all the Dish locals (via satellite) and ALSO all the EPG for the OTA locals. Were these EPG info received via Satellite or via the OTA antenna? Anyway, I finally canceled the Dish locals to save $5/month, and all of a sudden all the EPG of the OTA locals were gone.
Any more information?

You MUST subscribe to dish locals to get the EPG info for your OTA channels. The info comes from satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts