How to Mount on the Slope of a roof?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Finally placed an order for SG2100 and Winegard 30" dish on ebay last night. I was going to order via Sadoun, but they didn't have an SG2100... Anyhow, my house is basically Brick all the way up to the roof, and the house sits so that the slope of the Roof faces north and south. I'm going to mount the SG2100 to face south when I receive it. My question is how do you do that, making sure that it's secure and right on level to the south. I have some 2x4s, about 3 feet wide, stacked 2 high in 2 places on top of the roof that the previous owners used for securing Christmas Decorations. I am thinking I need to probably get up on the roof with a level, and move the 2x4s further up the slope to near the tip top of the house, mark where they will be with either charcoal, china marker or pastel colors or something, making sure that they are level and exactly running north/south and then take a level to them, figuring out exactly what 90 degrees straight up and down is and chop them down to that so that the slope off of those will be exactly up and down, and then re-attach them to the roof in the same exact spot that was marked with the level so the motor can be mounted directly to that instead of the slope of the roof. Is this the right way to go about this or can the motor be put on the roof directly and then somehow adjusted so that the skew of the roof's slope would be nullified inside of the mount's angle or something? I figure doing all of this with 2x4s will be much easier than trying to get drill bits for concrete and trying to mount to concrete somewhere that's already up and down. Yes, there are a place or two where eves are facing south but those are near the porch. I'm wanting to go further up the roof if I can since there's an apartment complex across the street. We sit on a hill. Our front porch faces south. Peeking out of attic windows that faces east/west, it looks like the base bottom of the roof is almost exactly level with the top of that apartment's roof... If I can get up a few more feet it'll probably give me a better line of site to the birds. I had an old 18" directv dish mounted on the poles on the porch the other day and it was pulling in 110 degrees satellite pretty good. I took it down and replaced it with another dish that someone gave me the other day that I think is a Dish 500 - it has two lnbs inside of one lnb head and indicates that one of them need to point to 110 and the other to 119. I haven't totally aimed it yet, but started to last night. I'm going to probably keep that up along with the new winegard on the roof when I get it up and going. I may (or may not?) also put the old dish (or one other old directv dish that someone gave me) somewhere on the roof and aim it at 91 degrees to get the freebie channels on nimiq... but that's just an open option at this point. I really just want to get the 30" going.

Last edited:
It sounds to me that you are going through a lot of trouble to put that dish on a sloped roof, I also mounted my dish on a sloped roof but I used an adjustable roof mount, this is the one I bought from Sadoun for about $45 thru ebay.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Winegard/superDmount-3.jpg

This one is cheaper but will work for you also. Univmount 1

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/Universal-Dish-Mount.htm

Do not use Univmount 2, because it will not be adjustable on a pitched or sloped roof.

I have installed LOADS of Winegard dish on SG2100 motors, as long as its a downward sloping roof you should not have any problems (depending on the pitch of the roof slope). Use a level across the top of the mounting tube to ensure its plumb and level all round. The mount may not be exactly up and down the roof, just make sure to follow the level.

When I do it I also take into account the weight of the motor and dish as this often pulls everything forward, pulling you off the arc. Remember the satellites are 22,500 miles in the sky, 2-3' extra in height will not make much of a difference, as long as there is nothing blocking the line of sight keep the dish/motor as low as it can go.

Univmount 1

Univmount 1 sounds like the answer. Guess a few more bucks will go on the credit card tonight...

I may be very late on this:

Not sure if you've got your Motor mounted yet, but here's a couple views, of what I expect to do.
Haven't decided if I'll go with the Under-Eve or on Roof yet.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Houston9.JPG
    Houston9.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 341
I was gonna do similar, with 2x4s, etc... but the roof mount from Soudon worked way better, was easier to put together too. It reall does get you perfect level if you take the time to put the level on there at least 2 ways at 9 degree angles. I did it 4 ways, at both 90 degrees n/s, 90 degrees e/w and at 45 degrees northwest, southeast, etc.

Either way you go, make sure you have a drill... the Soudon mount comes with some plastic screw expander dealy thingamaboppers that you stick in the drilled hole in the roof, and then put the screw in to it through the mount's footing to expand it out.

If you do go with your option 1 or 2, I'd choose 1 since 2 will put a lot of weight there on the end of the house, which may eventually cause boards to sag and cause you to lose reception.

Last edited:
mastermesh,
Would you happen to have a URL where I could look at that exact Mount?

Also, the attach dosn't show some stuff that I will do, like drilling through the Roof, and putting some All thread through a 2x4 across the rafters, inside the Attic.
Figgured that would pull the Mount down securely enough.
Of course I will seal the penetrations, IF i decide to use the one that mounts directly on the Roof.

You could munt the base directly to one of the rafters with good aand long screws and mout the braces as you mentioned.
Reinhold.

Would you happen to have a URL where I could look at that exact Mount?

Sure...
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/satellite-Dish-mounts.htm

It's this one:
UnivMount I Universal Dish Roof / Wall Mount: Includes mount, support legs, and anchor screws. Excellent replacement for your old roof/wall mount. 1 5/8" Tube diameter. Works with most KU band satellite dishes. Use it on your Patio / Deck / Wall / or Roof. It can handle the slanted roof and should produce a plumb pole. Good for stationary or motorized dish installations. Make sure the slanted roof is facing South and the dish must clear the roof when it rotates East/West. Wholesale quantity available upon request.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)