How to re-authorize a Dish 301 receiver?

wen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
I turned this system off for my Dad 4 years ago and it has been collecting dust since then. It has a blue card. I went through the installation Check Switch and both 110/119 still are tuned in with proper locks and signal level. The first screen that comes up says ATTENTION Acquiring satellite signal and it just sets there listing no satellite or transponder and Progress 0 of 5.

When the receiver was de-authorized at my request, Dish said they would turn it back on with just Locals if I wanted to, but I assume after this amount of time they will want me to buy a new Card from them?

It looks like all the new offers of free installation and equipment, it is hardly worthwhile to re-authorize an old receiver, but only wanted the locals (no tv here on over the air) and hate to take a minimum package to get it.

Is there any way to be sure the receiver is working properly before trying to get it authorized or is it worth all this trouble?

Any and all comments sincerely appreciated.

Verify if it getting proper switch matrix, signals on non-8PSK transponders and if it running current FW ( see RandallA's thread for that). Turn off by remote and give him 30 min for download latest FW. Then call DIsh and ask for subscription.

If he will go to signal check screen, select 119W and tp19 [home], then give a little time to lock on it and turn off the receiver, then it should catch the fish.

If he will go to signal check screen, select 119W and tp19 [home], then give a little time to lock on it and turn off the receiver, then it should catch the fish.

Yes, it locks. Turned off for 30 minutes. When turned back on, comes on at Acquiring satellite signal and Progress stays at 0 of 5. Software is listed as P452 for DP301 receiver. The R00 number looks ok, but the S00 number is now all zeros!

You will have to call DISH and get them to turn it back on and reauthorize your receiver. You will also need the new purple smart card for the new security system. Both will need DISH tech department to help you with . Once you get the new smart card and reauthorized by DISH , you can get just locals or go with the $14.99 Welcome pack -20 miscellaneous channels and your locals for the same low price. Beats paying 6.00 to have access just to locals , which you will have to pay as an access fee. On my third account for my Aunt in Arkansas , we have that pack and she is happy paying the low fee for basic like cable. You can also ask for the 1 cent Cinemax deal if you sign up for credit auto pay and paper less billing. My aunt has had that 1 cent deal for two years now. She also has encore pack for $4.99 and she pays about $21.50 a month with tax included for all of the above.

Yes, it locks. Turned off for 30 minutes. When turned back on, comes on at Acquiring satellite signal and Progress stays at 0 of 5. Software is listed as P452 for DP301 receiver. The R00 number looks ok, but the S00 number is now all zeros!

Your 301 got the current FW: click here.
I would try re-insert the card just for gig.

I'm not sold that he actually has the current software. Press menu-6-1-3 and tell us what you see, including software version.

You will have to call DISH and get them to turn it back on and reauthorize your receiver. You will also need the new purple smart card for the new security system. Both will need DISH tech department to help you with . Once you get the new smart card and reauthorized by DISH , you can get just locals or go with the $14.99 Welcome pack -20 miscellaneous channels and your locals for the same low price. Beats paying 6.00 to have access just to locals , which you will have to pay as an access fee. On my third account for my Aunt in Arkansas , we have that pack and she is happy paying the low fee for basic like cable. You can also ask for the 1 cent Cinemax deal if you sign up for credit auto pay and paper less billing. My aunt has had that 1 cent deal for two years now. She also has encore pack for $4.99 and she pays about $21.50 a month with tax included for all of the above.

Thanks for this great info. I found the link where they want you to pay either a $149 fee or a $99 activation fee. Does it really cost this much to turn it back on if you have your own equipment?

Why did they set the S00 smart card address to all zeroes?

Thanks for this great info. I found the link where they want you to pay either a $149 fee or a $99 activation fee. Does it really cost this much to turn it back on if you have your own equipment?

Why did they set the S00 smart card address to all zeroes?

It shouldn't cost you anything to restart your account , since you own your own receiver. You will have to pay two months worth of programming up front on your first bill. That is DISH's policy on that one. All it takes is a phone call to DISH and ask them to restart your account and the programming you want. As for the Smart card going to all zeros, I am not sure , except that old smart card you have is from 4 years ago and is now expired. You will need the latest smart card -purple , for it to work. Try calling the Tech department of DISH and see if they will help you. Also if they 're no help, try to email the ceo@echostar.com and tell them what you want to do in the way of programming , if a new smart card is needed etc. DISH Needs all the subs they can get. You should be a new sub again and be offered all the new customer deals like new. But they will come with a commitment if you take them up on them. I don't see that it should be any problem to get you what you want except for the new purple smart card . IF they want to charge you for that , but it should be covered by the dish home protection plan for 5.99 a month. You can add this insurance and take it off as needed. It is good for replacing bad receivers, lnbs, tech visits are only 29.99 instead of 99.99 .

I'm not sold that he actually has the current software. Press menu-6-1-3 and tell us what you see, including software version.

Screen 1 Shows: (Not connected to antenna now)

a) Status: Warning! Select Details
b) 52
c) Phone Icon
d) DP301
Software: P452
e) R00 (lists 10 digit Rx number)
S00 0000 0000-00
F) (Blank)
G Satellite 119 Green 110 Green (When connected to Dish)
h) Device: Unknown (If this was position for switch, it was Dish500 Twin)
i) Remote Address 1

Screen 3 Shows
DNASP: 010 RevA24
Location ID: 8DFFC97C
Hardware ID: DACD-N
Bootstrap: 10BB
Last Connect: Unknown

Another interesting thing is when connected to antenna, the Acquiring screen just sits on Progress 0 of 5 and the Satellite and Transponder are blank. When not connected to antenna, the Satellite changes and the Transponder changes and of course, the Progress stays at 0 of 5.

Your smart card will be a problem, they can't activate any card that displays zeros. It dosen't make any difference if it is blue yellow or purple, no numbers no activation till you get a card. The blue cards were replaced with yellow cards and the yellow cards are in the last phases of replacement with purple cards. There is a very good chance the card will have a cost associated with it. Call DISH 800-333-3474 and inquire what is available to you.

Ok, you do have the latest software version. I just wanted to verify so you didn't spin your wheels on a receiver that wouldn't upgrade.
As others have indicated, a new smart card (purple) is necessary to continue.
I recall a post about a month or so ago with the OP having a similar situation (301 with blue card) and it cost him $15 to get the current card. However, with Dish, your mileage WILL vary. You might get lucky and get a free one or they might quote a price of $49

When you call to have the receiver activated, Dish will put you on the list to get the new Purple Smart Card.

This is what I was told by a CSR in a chat two days ago - take it for what it's worth.

When you call to have the receiver activated, Dish will put you on the list to get the new Purple Smart Card.

This is what I was told by a CSR in a chat two days ago - take it for what it's worth.

Getting put on a list to get a current card? Why is it so difficult to re-subscribe to dish network?

My son is ready to subscribe, but cost is a very big issue for him and since he is moving from an area with over the air locals to this rural area with no locals available and he had hoped to get tv fairly quickly. Is there a better way without a credit card?

Wen,

I did ask what will happen with S00000000 if you will re-insert the card once or more times ?

The box originally came up with the correct S number, but after it downloaded the latest software, the S number became all zeroes. I tried removing and re-inserting it several times but always all zeroes.

Is there a way to reset the box and start over to read the correct number or does it matter now?

There is other way to check - just remove the card and wait for minute or two - then Sysinfo screen comes up by itself with all info about the receiver and removed card. If it will show same S00000, then the FW version totally blocking old cards.

Indeed, the latest firmware makes Blue cards read all zeros in System Info. Just give the CSR the S00..number off the card when you sub it and they should send you a new purple card.

Indeed, the latest firmware makes Blue cards read all zeros in System Info. Just give the CSR the S00..number off the card when you sub it and they should send you a new purple card.

Thanks.

I hope that is what happens pretty soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)