How to Reformat EHD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
After several days of working to get my recordings to play I think my next step is to reformat it and start over. My recordings are shown, but whenever I try to watch them it shows "no recordings available". I have done resets and hard reboots on the Wally and EHD with no luck.

Unless someone has some other ideas I plan on reformatting it to see if it will work. But how do I do this?

glynnp's approach will do it. Seems I've had way too much experience doing this, but I usually plug EHD into my PC, call up disk manager, and remove all partitions. I would think any dish receiver would treat no partitions, NTFS, or FAT32 as a trigger to format the drive for Dish.

Why I don't know, but the EHD has been working OK (knock on wood) without doing any formatting. About a third of my recordings would not work, but everything since my issue has been working. I am thinking I forgot to turn the EHD off prior to traveling for the day. I now turn it off and unplug it before traveling.

Reactions: TheKrell
Excellent strategy. There's nothing to be gained by keeping EHDs connected when not in use. I now have 4 smaller drives organized by subject matter so I don't run into the "all eggs in one basket" problem :). My guess in your case is the OS was keeping track of changes in used clusters in RAM, then not writing them to the disk's directory/cluster tables. Thus, the table of contents no longer matches the pages/chapters in the book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)