How to Reformat EHD?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
After several days of working to get my recordings to play I think my next step is to reformat it and start over. My recordings are shown, but whenever I try to watch them it shows "no recordings available". I have done resets and hard reboots on the Wally and EHD with no luck.

Unless someone has some other ideas I plan on reformatting it to see if it will work. But how do I do this?

glynnp's approach will do it. Seems I've had way too much experience doing this, but I usually plug EHD into my PC, call up disk manager, and remove all partitions. I would think any dish receiver would treat no partitions, NTFS, or FAT32 as a trigger to format the drive for Dish.

Why I don't know, but the EHD has been working OK (knock on wood) without doing any formatting. About a third of my recordings would not work, but everything since my issue has been working. I am thinking I forgot to turn the EHD off prior to traveling for the day. I now turn it off and unplug it before traveling.

Reactions: TheKrell
Excellent strategy. There's nothing to be gained by keeping EHDs connected when not in use. I now have 4 smaller drives organized by subject matter so I don't run into the "all eggs in one basket" problem :). My guess in your case is the OS was keeping track of changes in used clusters in RAM, then not writing them to the disk's directory/cluster tables. Thus, the table of contents no longer matches the pages/chapters in the book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)