How to repair a remote?

afigbee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
The Guide key on my remote for my model 4700 has stopped working. It's the only key affected. I thought the contact must simply be degraded, or the button smashed down, or something, but when I try to take it apart to look at it, it simply won't come apart.

Welded from years of fevered gripping, or is there some trick?

I really think if I try harder I'll break it.:eek:

I'd recommend buying a new one and then fix the old one.

Certainly would work, but doesn't address the fundamental 'cheaper' part of the problem.

afigbee said:

I'd recommend buying a new one and then fix the old one.

Certainly would work, but doesn't address the fundamental 'cheaper' part of the problem.

...then return the new one ... if you manage to fix the old one within a reasonable amount of time ...

;)

afigbee said:
The Guide key on my remote for my model 4700 has stopped working. It's the only key affected. I thought the contact must simply be degraded, or the button smashed down, or something, but when I try to take it apart to look at it, it simply won't come apart.

I repair remotes all the time. Just GENTLY pry apart along the seams It justs snaps together. You'll find that most likely you need to clean the rubber keypad and pc board with denatured alcohol. Whilest your in there clean the whole board with a q-tip and alcohol. Put it back togther and it should be as good as new.

Finally got it apart and --oh my god, it's full of hair!

The trick is there are these little hidden snaps around the edges and you have to really pry at it to get it open.

The problem seems to be that, under the rubber layer, the little black contact thing had somehow gotten shoved up inside the button. I pushed it around as much as I could and got it working, but I don't think it will stay that way.

Probably will have to just get a new one.

Thanx, everybody!:hatsoff:

afigbee said:

The trick is there are these little hidden snaps around the edges and you have to really pry at it to get it open.

The problem seems to be that, under the rubber layer, the little black contact thing had somehow gotten shoved up inside the button. I pushed it around as much as I could and got it working, but I don't think it will stay that way.

Probably will have to just get a new one.

Thanx, everybody!:hatsoff:

Folks, this just goes to show how important getting your remote control groomed at a hair salon more often really is!

I think we all learned a valuable lesson here today.

;)

damaged said:
Folks, this just goes to show how important getting your remote control groomed at a hair salon more often really is!

I think we all learned a valuable lesson here today.

;)

Yes, the lesson learned is when you are finished with the remote, return it to the table.
Don't leave it on your lap. ;) :D

I had the same problem with mine only it was the dish button at the top that was bad.I just called cs and asked them to send me a new one.It only took me a week to receive it.

afigbee said:

:

No problem just rinse the whole rubber key pad in alcohol for a min or 2. Should be as good as new.

dodge said:
Repair remote
why???
Sign up for the dhpp and they will send you a new one for:confused: :confused: free!!!

Yes but in the mean time if he cleans it it'll get him by till the new one shows up.

afigbee said:

Here's the content of what I've posted before about remotes with sticky or dead keys.

I've cleaned many Dish (and non-Dish) remotes. It seems that the rubber keyboard membrane that holds the conductive key contact slowly exudes a sticky brown liquid over time. This process takes two to four years to occur. This build up can even start to insulate the conductive key contact to the point that the key stops working all together. I've seen some remotes that had to have the rubber membrane peeled off like velcro, when they should just fall off when opened. However, once opened and clean, most remotes work perfectly again. As I said, I've seen this in lots of non-Disk remotes also, so it seems to be and industry wide problem.

If you want to clean a remote, you have to first get it apart. This is often done by twisting the remote (HARD) to un-hook the little plastic latches that hold the two halfs together. Alternatively, its sometimes required to use a small bladed plastic tool to un-hook the plastic tabs. And sometimes there are hidden screws underneath labels or behind the batteries.

Once the remote is apart, you'll see the rubber keyboard membrane on top of the remote printed circuit board. Wash the membrane and printed circuit board in HOT water and liquid dish detergent (like Dawn) under a running faucet. DO NOT completely immerse the printed circuit board under water! Scrub with your fingers, or use a Q-Tip to get into tight spots. Once all the goo is gone, throughly rinse ALL detergent off. Dry the components throughly with a dry cloth, then with a hair dryer set on LOW for about five minutes (if you can't blow the hair dryer directly on your hand, its TOO HOT). DO NOT let water sit on the circuit board or membrane overnight! As long as the components are dried right away, the water will do no harm. Let the components air dry overnight, then re-assemble the remote.

DISCLAIMER: If you've never done this before, you will VERY LIKELY break a remote the first time you try it. Remotes are NOT made to be easily taken apart, so it takes practice.

As you can see, the above proceedure can be risky. And since there is a fair likelihood of breaking the remote, I suggest buying a new remote and be done with it. Then if you're still curious, try cleaning the old one. If you succeed, you've got a spare, and you'll know how to do it in the future.

RTCDude

Last edited:
dodge said:
Repair remote
why???
Sign up for the dhpp and they will send you a new one for:confused: :confused: free!!!

$5.99 a month for DHPP is not exactly free.. A remote is cheap.

And as far as the repair.. Someone already explained how to do this.. The only remotes that I have not been able to get working again with a simple cleaning is the ones that were actually broken into pieces or chewed by the dog.

The post above by RTCdude is very well written and should be consulted by anyone wishing to fix a remote.

My experience cleaning remotes is mostly confined to yearly repair of a TV remote.
After about 10 years, it needed regular reconditioning.
If it hadn't been so unusual, I would have gotten a spare or used a universal.

I'd clean the PC board contacts and the worn carbon buttons on the silicone sheet with alcohol and a Qtip, let them dry , and reassemble.
Problem is, once you start cleaning them, they need it regularly.
A lot like cleaning mouse balls - by the time they need it, they're pretty well worn out anyway.
(Yes, I know there's a joke in there... :rolleyes: )

Oh, and I picked up some spare PVR 501/508/510 remotes last week for $5 each.
edit:
It was at an electronics swap meet, held every other month in my area.
The units were used, but I picked two that looked new.
DP34's were $15?... DP LNBs around $10?.... even found the 121/119 LNB for $20.
By comparison, the used remotes I'd bought on Ebay for $12..15, looked like crap.

One thing you don't want to do, is clean the force-stick (mouse replacement) in the middle of an IBM (or similar) keyboard.
I did once (with alcohol), and the rubber eraser turned to sticky goo.
I had to find a replacement. :mad:

Last edited:
I bought a brand new one on eBay for like $6.00. If I have a problem with a remote, I'll just buy a new one off eBay but that's just me.

keleko74,

You can buy the IR remote (green tab) for a 522 or 625 and it will work with a 501 or 508 or buy the blue tab UHF remote.