How to see the whole picture?

jgantert

jgantert

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
1,903
0
Aberdeen, MD
I just got Voom installed this weekend, and have noticed that the picture is severly shifted to the left.

I have an RCA 52" tv using DVI inputs, and the STB set to 1080i. I've also tried component inputs with simular results. When I switch the STB to 480i, everything is fine.

Any ideas?

Below are the pictures of the upper left scoreboard from the Worldsport channel. Notice how it is cut off in the 1080i picture.

1080i
1080I.JPG


480i
480I.JPG


-John
 
A

astrossuperfan

Baseball Junkie
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
239
0
H-town, Tejas
try adjusting the horizontal position of the screen by pressing Voom>green>system settings>video output.

Or try to adjust the stretch mode on your TV, if it has things like wide1, wide2, etc.

Is the right side of the screen correct? Does your TV support 720p, if so have you tried that?
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
astrossuperfan said:
try adjusting the horizontal position of the screen by pressing Voom>green>system settings>video output.

Or try to adjust the stretch mode on your TV, if it has things like wide1, wide2, etc.

Is the right side of the screen correct? Does your TV support 720p, if so have you tried that?

Unfortunately, the Video output does not work. It would do the job if it had worked. The only way to do it will be to go to the service menu of your TV and adjust the horizontal and vertical alignments.
 
D

DragonLips

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 15, 2004
32
0
DON'T FEAR!! The same exact thing happened with my set. What I did was used the 'red' button under the flip panel on the STB and cycled through the different resolutions. Keep pressing it until you have all lines flashing it "red". Should clear that up. If not, hold down the button for 6 seconds.
 
M

mkwillia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 15, 2004
150
0
John, I have an RCA also. I have been wondering how to fix the exact same problem. (Though mine is an older model and I connect using component in/outs). I will try DragonLips suggestion. I hope it will solve the issue.

If not, lets try to keep this post going. I haven't had any luck finding service code/menu for the RCAs. Even if I did find them, I am very hesistant to use them.

Mike
 
T

trugel

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 25, 2004
36
0
Overscanning

I had a similar issue with my Mitsubishi TV. It turns out that my TV was overscanning the image and cropping off the top portion of the score of Worldsport channel. I had a technician come out to fix this problem. Apparently, there is a way to get to a service menu on all tv's that allows for the changing of size and position of the image. I think you can get them from the manufacturer or someone from this forum.

By the way, I tried to cycle through the red button and it did not fix the problem.

I hope this helped.
 
S

slffl

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 18, 2003
124
0
Mine is doing the same thing, it's also cutting off the top 5% of the picture. I know it's not my TV's overscan for the left hand portion being cut off, since I've already adjusted that. So who knows, but it's pretty annoying.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
worldsport varies the placement of that scoreboard, sometimes its all on the screen and sometimes its all the way to the edge of the picture in the overscan area. If you make service menu adjustments you will end up setting the TV to no overscan area anywhere with horz and vert stretch and horiz and vert position. becase each station plays with the logo placement in all four corners LMAO. Then just when you think you got it right.... you will find stations that dont fill the screen!!!

Moral of the story, you will never get it perfect and you will get tired of setting it. ANd if its like mine each time I change stuff I have to adjust 15 points of convergence.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
trugel said:
I had a similar issue with my Mitsubishi TV. It turns out that my TV was overscanning the image and cropping off the top portion of the score of Worldsport channel. I had a technician come out to fix this problem. Apparently, there is a way to get to a service menu on all tv's that allows for the changing of size and position of the image. I think you can get them from the manufacturer or someone from this forum.

By the way, I tried to cycle through the red button and it did not fix the problem.

I hope this helped.
Heres a link to the mitsubishi service menu code. I think the site has codes for all manufacturers.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/mitsubishi/mitsu_servicecodes.html
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Sean Mota said:
Unfortunately, the Video output does not work. It would do the job if it had worked. The only way to do it will be to go to the service menu of your TV and adjust the horizontal and vertical alignments.
It would be INCREDIBLY useful to have horiz and vert position and horiz and vert stretch on that menu and working. IT would be tremendously valuable to RPTV owners. man no convergence adjustment!!! no service menu setting. Those functions would really be a great addition to the STB.
 
A

a94cobra

Member
Mar 30, 2004
10
0
How to adjust the picture?

I am needing to adjust the 'overscan' on my Voom box more than what it allows. It has adjustment for positive and negative 15. But this isn't enough.

I have an RCA 52" using component. It 'overscans' on the left.

I have been using an RCA DTC100 on D* with no problems.

Any suggestions on the issue.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
watching Valencia vs Deportivo and the scoreboard is perfect. But earlier today in a different game it was cut off. It is definately a WOrldsport problem in my opinion, they need to keep that thing in the same position no matter which league they are covering.
 
A

a94cobra

Member
Mar 30, 2004
10
0
My RCA TV set has a similar problem. It is older with just component inputs. It worked perfectly with my RCA HD D* reciever. But with the Voom box the left side(looking at the set) seems to reflect back onto the picture. I have tried to adjust the setting on the Voom box. But 15 is just not enough.

Is there a way to get more controls built in the Voom box? These are the kind of issues that make or break the whole deal.

I will try the RCA procedure mentioned earlier. I still have warranty so all is well.
 
T

txdude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2004
232
0
Dallas/Ft.Worth
My RCA 52" is way shifted to the left as well but only with DVI input :confused: all my other inputs are fine.

There is still some slight overscan with component, but it's only noticeable on HDN.

I guess adjustments need to be made in the service menu for DVI input :no
 
M

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
1,154
0
Vernon, CT
I know center for my DVI was different than center for my Components on my Hitachi.
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
vurbano said:
It would be INCREDIBLY useful to have horiz and vert position and horiz and vert stretch on that menu and working. IT would be tremendously valuable to RPTV owners. man no convergence adjustment!!! no service menu setting. Those functions would really be a great addition to the STB.

According to Wilt, this will be fixed in next release. (Keeping finger cross)
 

Similar threads

Madtown HD Junkie
Replies
57
Views
4K
Dvlos
D
Neutron
Replies
53
Views
4K
jbcaro
J
S
Replies
12
Views
2K
Mr. Biggles
M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top