How to see the whole picture?

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
I just got Voom installed this weekend, and have noticed that the picture is severly shifted to the left.

I have an RCA 52" tv using DVI inputs, and the STB set to 1080i. I've also tried component inputs with simular results. When I switch the STB to 480i, everything is fine.

Any ideas?

Below are the pictures of the upper left scoreboard from the Worldsport channel. Notice how it is cut off in the 1080i picture.

1080i
1080I.JPG

480i
480I.JPG

-John

try adjusting the horizontal position of the screen by pressing Voom>green>system settings>video output.

Or try to adjust the stretch mode on your TV, if it has things like wide1, wide2, etc.

Is the right side of the screen correct? Does your TV support 720p, if so have you tried that?

astrossuperfan said:
try adjusting the horizontal position of the screen by pressing Voom>green>system settings>video output.

Or try to adjust the stretch mode on your TV, if it has things like wide1, wide2, etc.

Is the right side of the screen correct? Does your TV support 720p, if so have you tried that?

Unfortunately, the Video output does not work. It would do the job if it had worked. The only way to do it will be to go to the service menu of your TV and adjust the horizontal and vertical alignments.

DON'T FEAR!! The same exact thing happened with my set. What I did was used the 'red' button under the flip panel on the STB and cycled through the different resolutions. Keep pressing it until you have all lines flashing it "red". Should clear that up. If not, hold down the button for 6 seconds.

John, I have an RCA also. I have been wondering how to fix the exact same problem. (Though mine is an older model and I connect using component in/outs). I will try DragonLips suggestion. I hope it will solve the issue.

If not, lets try to keep this post going. I haven't had any luck finding service code/menu for the RCAs. Even if I did find them, I am very hesistant to use them.

Mike

Overscanning

I had a similar issue with my Mitsubishi TV. It turns out that my TV was overscanning the image and cropping off the top portion of the score of Worldsport channel. I had a technician come out to fix this problem. Apparently, there is a way to get to a service menu on all tv's that allows for the changing of size and position of the image. I think you can get them from the manufacturer or someone from this forum.

By the way, I tried to cycle through the red button and it did not fix the problem.

I hope this helped.

Mine is doing the same thing, it's also cutting off the top 5% of the picture. I know it's not my TV's overscan for the left hand portion being cut off, since I've already adjusted that. So who knows, but it's pretty annoying.

worldsport varies the placement of that scoreboard, sometimes its all on the screen and sometimes its all the way to the edge of the picture in the overscan area. If you make service menu adjustments you will end up setting the TV to no overscan area anywhere with horz and vert stretch and horiz and vert position. becase each station plays with the logo placement in all four corners LMAO. Then just when you think you got it right.... you will find stations that dont fill the screen!!!

Moral of the story, you will never get it perfect and you will get tired of setting it. ANd if its like mine each time I change stuff I have to adjust 15 points of convergence.

trugel said:
I had a similar issue with my Mitsubishi TV. It turns out that my TV was overscanning the image and cropping off the top portion of the score of Worldsport channel. I had a technician come out to fix this problem. Apparently, there is a way to get to a service menu on all tv's that allows for the changing of size and position of the image. I think you can get them from the manufacturer or someone from this forum.

By the way, I tried to cycle through the red button and it did not fix the problem.

I hope this helped.
Heres a link to the mitsubishi service menu code. I think the site has codes for all manufacturers.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/mitsubishi/mitsu_servicecodes.html

Sean Mota said:
Unfortunately, the Video output does not work. It would do the job if it had worked. The only way to do it will be to go to the service menu of your TV and adjust the horizontal and vertical alignments.
It would be INCREDIBLY useful to have horiz and vert position and horiz and vert stretch on that menu and working. IT would be tremendously valuable to RPTV owners. man no convergence adjustment!!! no service menu setting. Those functions would really be a great addition to the STB.

How to adjust the picture?

I am needing to adjust the 'overscan' on my Voom box more than what it allows. It has adjustment for positive and negative 15. But this isn't enough.

I have an RCA 52" using component. It 'overscans' on the left.

I have been using an RCA DTC100 on D* with no problems.

Any suggestions on the issue.

watching Valencia vs Deportivo and the scoreboard is perfect. But earlier today in a different game it was cut off. It is definately a WOrldsport problem in my opinion, they need to keep that thing in the same position no matter which league they are covering.

My RCA TV set has a similar problem. It is older with just component inputs. It worked perfectly with my RCA HD D* reciever. But with the Voom box the left side(looking at the set) seems to reflect back onto the picture. I have tried to adjust the setting on the Voom box. But 15 is just not enough.

Is there a way to get more controls built in the Voom box? These are the kind of issues that make or break the whole deal.

I will try the RCA procedure mentioned earlier. I still have warranty so all is well.

My RCA 52" is way shifted to the left as well but only with DVI input :confused: all my other inputs are fine.

There is still some slight overscan with component, but it's only noticeable on HDN.

I guess adjustments need to be made in the service menu for DVI input :no

vurbano said:
It would be INCREDIBLY useful to have horiz and vert position and horiz and vert stretch on that menu and working. IT would be tremendously valuable to RPTV owners. man no convergence adjustment!!! no service menu setting. Those functions would really be a great addition to the STB.

According to Wilt, this will be fixed in next release. (Keeping finger cross)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts