How to split the HD singla on VIP722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Enyko

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Chicago
Hey guys,

I just purchased an additional HD tv and realized (remembered) that the vip722 only sends a standard def signal as the secondary signal. I was doing some research and wondering if I can get an HDMI spitter to send the HD signal to both TV's. I understand we'd have to watch the same thing on both sets but that is not a concern.

The (minimal) research I have been doing is that an HDMI spitter can be used but it degraded the HD signal on one of the TV's significantly. Or it simply didn't work at all.

What are your thoughts, experiences, what type of splitter should I use?...etc.

Thank you,

Enyko

Also remember that all outputs are live at once. So you could for example feed one HDTV the HDMI signal as now, and the other component.

Adding to TheKrell, you can use component (plus audio cables) for the TV closest to the 722 and HDMI for the farther run. And NO, there is no PQ quality loss with component.

How does HDCP work over that amplified splitter? (One wonders how handshaking occurs with 4 TVs on simultaneously.)

Haven't a clue. Lights (LED's) on each TV feed are either on or off depending if the TV at the end of the feed is on or off. Just know it works and have not had one problem in the 4 months I've had it. Works with no intervention on my part.

Hey guys,

I just purchased an additional HD tv and realized (remembered) that the vip722 only sends a standard def signal as the secondary signal. I was doing some research and wondering if I can get an HDMI spitter to send the HD signal to both TV's. I understand we'd have to watch the same thing on both sets but that is not a concern.

The (minimal) research I have been doing is that an HDMI spitter can be used but it degraded the HD signal on one of the TV's significantly. Or it simply didn't work at all.

What are your thoughts, experiences, what type of splitter should I use?...etc.

Thank you,

Enyko

I'm using 2 different powered HDMI splitters purchased from monoprice.com (one with a 722, the other with a 722K) and they both work fine with no issues. One is a 4 way spitter, the other a 2 way. Key word is POWERED, get one that has it's own power supply and you'll be fine. monoprice.com is the place to get your HDMI cables as well.

Ed

How does HDCP work over that amplified splitter? (One wonders how handshaking occurs with 4 TVs on simultaneously.)

I've never done 4 @ a time but I've done 3 and didn't experience any HDCP or other problems. That's with the "Pro" 4 way powered splitter from monoprice.com .

Ed

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Getting a 2nd receiver is not a bad idea even though it's $10/mo. Plus there are tons of shows on the main DVR we want to watch.

My follow up question is;

I think the best solution is going to be to keep my current HDMI connection to the local (close) HDTV and run the 100ft component to the 2nd HDTV. Primarily because a 100' component is quite cheaper than 100' HDMI (yes, via monoprice). So no splitter needed.

Am I safe to assume with this setup;

- There will only be 1 tuner, so the same program will show up on both HDTV's
- The picture quality sent to both HDTV's will be equal? I ask this one specifically because the 2nd HDTV that will be getting the component feed is a better resolution TV and I want to make sure it'll get the full HD signal.
- Is this (in your opinion) a better solution than splitting the HDMI signal with a powered HDMI splitter like the ones recommended in this thread?

Thanks guys!

I think a 211 series qualifies as a Solo and is only $6/mo. Add an ehd and you have a dvr that can record 1 or 2 ota and a single dish channel, plus you have the functionality of a dvr, ie pause, rewind, etc.
The idea of using component to the 2nd hdtv needs 4 or 5 cable. 3 for video and 2 additional for audio or an optical cable that length.

The 211s both the standard and K models are able to record just one OTA channel. They both have a built in single OTA tuner.

61krSSXYmNL._AA1500_.jpg

Don't forget that you also need a 100' red-white audio cable to go with that 100' component cable. Add that in and your 100' HDMI might be cheaper.....

Don't forget that you also need a 100' red-white audio cable to go with that 100' component cable. Add that in and your 100' HDMI might be cheaper.....
No what you do is just buy a 5 wire component cable.

They never offered me the 211 series option. They said my ONLY option is a 2nd $10/month receiver.

Sorry, I don't know what "ehd" or "ota" are.

I would be getting this monoprice component cable which is still less than the HDMI

[couldn't post the url]

For only $28.20 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 100ft 22AWG 5-RCA Component Video/Audio Coaxial Cable (RG-59/U) - Black | 5-RCA Component Video/Audio Cables (RG-59/U)

Yes, the hole in the wall would be a little large but I'd make it hidden and discreet witha wall plate.

I like the fact that it would be 1 receiver still because when we DVR shows we can decide to watch it upstairs or downstairs. If I got the 2nd receiver, there would be certain shows on one and others on another and I just don't want to deal with that.

My main concern is that the HD signal would be equal on each HDTV. Is this correct?

That means you'd have to spend $1425 to get that price per cable. Bad deal.
ehd = external hard drive
ota = over the air antenna.
If you have an over the air antenna attached, yu can pick up your locals and their sub channels. Ajd if you are close enough to another city, you can pick up their ota channels.

That makes more sense. You posted $28.50 each for 50+.

As far as quality on the 2nd set. I have no idea. I've got the 722 in the living room. A 211 here in the computer room. I also have the composite out of TV2 going into a vcr and coax from that going to the tc here, tge bedroom and an old lcd tv that I'm using as a monitor in the kitchen. The vcr is also hooked up to the super basic cable ($12/mo)

FYI, I think a 211k is $7/mo. I just got rid of mine (never used it). I'm debating running a long HDMI cable from my 722k to the basement TV as a replacement to the 211k. I'd also have to get an RF remote I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)