How to stream just few news channels (CNN, MSNBC)?

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
When it comes to streaming on a daily basis, I am completely clueless. I am not trying to replace everything I am currently getting with Dish Welcome package. The goal is ditch Dish which is costing me about $70 a month with Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys. Not interested getting fibo or youtube tv's costly packages. I also know that people who leave Dish miss the convenience of dvr. Avid follower of this web site.
Is there anything out there for me? My ota gives me good signals and getting networks and their sub channels, about 20.
The wife has to have MSNBC and CNN.
I appreciate any suggestion.

Cheapest way... Download CNN and MSNMC app from amazon/fire store use a family or friends login in. Make sure they have those 2 channels on there package. No dvr this way , but most of those could be access this way.

Equipment fees have to be killing you - $36/mo? Can you swap out the H3 and 3 Joeys for a couple of Wallys? I run multiple TVs off one Wally, plus have OTA and streaming. With all the viewing options, no need to watch 4 different things on Dish at the same time.

The Dish Anywhere app also allows live streaming of CNN and MSNBC, so that's another feed you can watch if the Wally is in use.

Reactions: TheKrell
As Smith said, Sling is your best option for the price.

Another option is check out CBS/NBC/ABC NEWS apps, they offer news all day ( mostly live) and are free, try them to see if they are a good substitute for CNN and the rest.

Reactions: Zookster
As Smith said, Sling is your best option for the price.

Another option is check out CBS/NBC/ABC NEWS apps, they offer news all day ( mostly live) and are free, try them to see if they are a good substitute for CNN and the rest.

Pluto offers about a dozen news channels and you can't beat their price!

Since I have both the Roku and the Fire Cube, access to free news sources are amazing. Pluto or XUMO may have some sort of "CNN News" app on there. MSNBC I think has access too. I cannot remember as I still have Dish and can sign in since I am a Dish sub.

When it comes to streaming on a daily basis, I am completely clueless. I am not trying to replace everything I am currently getting with Dish Welcome package. The goal is ditch Dish which is costing me about $70 a month with Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys. Not interested getting fibo or youtube tv's costly packages. I also know that people who leave Dish miss the convenience of dvr. Avid follower of this web site.
Is there anything out there for me? My ota gives me good signals and getting networks and their sub channels, about 20.
The wife has to have MSNBC and CNN.
I appreciate any suggestion.
Does she HAVE to have both? Because if Dish still allows going down to it, MSNBC is in the Welcome Pack, so that'd save a bit of money while saving the DVR, seems like a decent compromise.

Thanks everybody. I did a little search today. Sling tv’s blue package seems decent for 35 dollars. 44 channels and 50 hours of free cloud dvr. $5 for 200 hours. And streaming on 3 devices.

We get all air networks(abc,nbc,cbc,fox, public tv) and subs with an antenna. the wife just likes msnbc’s certain anchor women.

it looks like the choice will be between dish (perhaps drop one or two joeys) AND sling tv.

The problem with those news apps is they aren't live streaming
Pluto isn’t live on a lot of channels, but is on some of the news ones.

On the stand alone apps for the cable channels you are correct.
Maybe you quoted me and didn’t mean to?
Maybe I didn’t make my point clear. I probably should t have added app to my comment. The news channels Bruce mentioned are live, are on Pluto, and also offer apps that have the live streams.

Pluto isn’t live on a lot of channels, but is on some of the news ones.

On the stand alone apps for the cable channels you are correct.
Maybe you quoted me and didn’t mean to?
Maybe I didn’t make my point clear. I probably should t have added app to my comment. The news channels Bruce mentioned are live, are on Pluto, and also offer apps that have the live streams.
I have Pluto and Xumo on my LG. I've watched some of the news channels.

I have Pluto and Xumo on my LG. I've watched some of the news channels.
VUit is a free app that has some realtime news. It has channels from different states. Some are am,noon,and evening broadcasts,and some will have live newscasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)