Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
usa
right now my layout is as follows

tv 1 - dvr receiver
tv2- runs off tv 1's receiver

tv3 - regular receiver
tv4 - runs off tv 4's receiver

all 4 tv's have a co axial cable installed and hooked into the tv from when the installer originally installed the system

I want to switch tv1's dvr receiver to tv4 , and make tv1 run off of tv 3's receiver. basically just completely switch tv 1 and 4.. but keep 2 and 3 the same.

Is it possible to do this myself? I tried simply moving tv1's receiver to tv4.. but it stalled at "aquiring signal 0 of 5"

can anyone help?

It can be done, but you're in over your head.

My first recommendation would be to hire someone to do it.

My second choice would be to reconsider the first recommendation.

If you're committed, you'll need to learn some things about diplexers and how they are used for "backfeeding". It is very straightforward, but the terminology will throw you and if you're not careful, you could do some damage to one of your TV tuners.

DOES TV 3 AND TV 4 BOTH HAVE A RECEIVER CONNECTED WITH EACH BEING A SINGLE TUNER UNIT OR A ONE TV UNIT. OR ARE THEY BOTH BEING RAN WITH A DUAL TUNER.MEANING 2 TV WITH ONE UNIT.

thanks. well i googled diplexer and looked at the outside of my house and see they are used on the cables there.. so i assume i just have to switch the way the cables are routed.. which seems simple enough, except the cables are too short to reach their new destination :(

(i assume i just switch the tv1 and tv4 cables on the diplexers, is this correct?)

DOES TV 3 AND TV 4 BOTH HAVE A RECEIVER CONNECTED WITH EACH BEING A SINGLE TUNER UNIT OR A ONE TV UNIT. OR ARE THEY BOTH BEING RAN WITH A DUAL TUNER.MEANING 2 TV WITH ONE UNIT.

only tv 1 and tv 3 have a receiver.. but tv 2 and 4 both have a co axial plugged into them from the outside. 4 tv's 2 receivers, 4 coaxials

can i switch tv 1 and 3 instead since they both use a receiver? i just want to get the dvr onto tv4 somehow

IF YOUR UNITS ARE HOOKED UP WITH DIPLEXERS THE DIPLEXERS HAVE A POWER PASS THROUGH.YOU CAN SEE IT IF YOU LOOK ON THE DIPLEXER . AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE POWER PASS CONTINIOUS TO THE DISH YOU WONT SHORT ANYTHNG OUT.YOU JUST NEED TO IDENTIFY EACH LINE BEFORE YOU CONNECT.THE TV 2,S CONNECT TO THE VHF/UHF SIDE OF THE DIPLEXER.LOOK TO SEE IF THE RECEIVERS HAVE A DIPLEXER BEHIND THE UNIT IF THERE IS THAT MEANS THERE IS ANOTHER DIPLEXER FOR THAT UNIT SOMEWHERE MOST LIKELY IN SCUTTLE (ATTIC) OR IF ITS A MOBLIEHOME WOULD BE UNDERNEATH.JUST FIND IT AND SWITCH WIRES AROUND. DONT DISCONNECT THE WIRE GOING OUT TO DISH AND YOULL BE FINE.GOOD LUCK

YOU CAN SWITH TV 1 AND TV 3 BUT THE TV AT #4 WOULD BE THE #2 REMOTE AND HAVE TO SET TV MOST LIKELY WHATEVER CHANNEL TV2 IS SET TO, USUALLY EITHER 60 OR 73.TV2 WOULD HAVE TO BE SET TO WHATEVER CHANNEL TV 3 WAS.AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO REPROGRAM REMOTES.HOLD DOWN TV BUTTON AT TOP OF REMOTE UNTIL ALL BUTTONS LIGHT UP,THEN LET OFF AND PUSH BIG RED POWER BUTTON ONCE,THEN PRESS CHANNEL UP BUTTON ONE CLICK AT A TIME UNTIL TV TURNS OFF THEN PRESS POUND AT BOTTOM LEFT CORNER.CODE IS STORED.PRESS POWER TO TURN TV BACK ON PUT REMOTE BACK IN SAT MODE.

Last edited:
can i switch tv 1 and 3 instead since they both use a receiver?
Yes.

This process would be a lot easier if you would offer model numbers on your DVRs. In that way, we can caution you if you're going to lose something as a result of what you're asking to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts