How to use signal meter properly?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xagoth

Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Long story short...2 years ago, my girlfriend and I moved into a house, we bought all of our HD, dish equipment from one place...they installed it. They used really poor equipment because we have had nothing but problems with it.

So...I am going to be installing a new triple LNB dish myself. Have the dish. Ordered a signal meter. Should be here tomorrow.

My question is this:

How do you actually use a signal meter? Do I need to just tune the receiver to one channel and slowly change the Azimuth on the dish until the meter peaks? Do I need to do that for each of the seperate LNB's or will just one channel suffice?

Is there a "best" channel to use when trying to achieve maximum signal strength with a meter?

Thanks in advance, and I do apologize if this question has been answered already. I did do a thorough search but found nothing on this.

Very happy to have come across this forum!

No need to use a receiver to get signals. That is what your signal meter is for.

Your question is basically what one would do if you didn't have a signal meter.

Xagoth said:
Long story short...2 years ago, my girlfriend and I moved into a house, we bought all of our HD, dish equipment from one place...they installed it. They used really poor equipment because we have had nothing but problems with it.

So...I am going to be installing a new triple LNB dish myself. Have the dish. Ordered a signal meter. Should be here tomorrow.

My question is this:

How do you actually use a signal meter? Do I need to just tune the receiver to one channel and slowly change the Azimuth on the dish until the meter peaks? Do I need to do that for each of the seperate LNB's or will just one channel suffice?

Is there a "best" channel to use when trying to achieve maximum signal strength with a meter?

Thanks in advance, and I do apologize if this question has been answered already. I did do a thorough search but found nothing on this.

Very happy to have come across this forum!

Is your signal meter powered by a battery pack or does it draw it's power from the receiver. If it does not have a battery pack (internal or external) then it is powered by the receiver and has to wired up before you can use it to test signal strength. Most of the $9.99-$20 meters you find on eBay fall into the powered by the receiver catagory.
You need to make sure you dish mast is level, preset the dish according to the numbers given in the receiver set up menu for the three LNB dish and find the basic direction using a compass. Put your signal meter in the line and peak the signal off the 101 sat by slowly rotating the dish. Once peaked that way tighten the dish down so it won't spin any further and slowly pull the top of the dish back (this will flex the dish slightly, but don't try to bend it), see if the meter goes up or down a few points. If the numbers go up, loosen the dish and tilt it back to peak it out. If the numbers go down then push the top of the dish forward (down) to see what the numbers do. After you peak the dish go inside and check the meter in the receiver set up menu. Remember, it is possible to peak the meter on the wrong satellite, unless you got some expensive model like a "BirdDog", your meter will not be able to tell you what satellite your looking at (that is where a good compass helps, but it still isn't foolproof). So, you may have to peak the dish again if your not on the right sat. After you are sure your getting a signal from the 101, then check the others on the setup menu and make small skew adjustments from there.

Before I got my Birdog, my old meter would sometimes peak at the dish but the receiver would show no signal - wrong bird! Try moving your dish from left to right to find the bird. The first bird you encounter at 101 will usually be the DirecTV sat. Will give a really strong signal. Known in the business as Bart Simpson because of the series of high spikes that show up on a spectrum analizer.

DTVSatman said:
Before I got my Birdog, my old meter would sometimes peak at the dish but the receiver would show no signal - wrong bird! Try moving your dish from left to right to find the bird. The first bird you encounter at 101 will usually be the DirecTV sat. Will give a really strong signal. Known in the business as Bart Simpson because of the series of high spikes that show up on a spectrum analizer.

BirdDogs are nice, pricey, but nice. I use an AccuTrac22 (w/built-in battery pack) and have a DigisatPro (w/external battery pack) for a back up. I rarely hit the wrong sat as long as there isn't a powerline or large metal object nearby to mess with my compass (inclinometer), but it does happen from time to time.

uboatcmdr said:
BirdDogs are nice, pricey, but nice. I use an AccuTrac22 (w/built-in battery pack) and have a DigisatPro (w/external battery pack) for a back up. I rarely hit the wrong sat as long as there isn't a powerline or large metal object nearby to mess with my compass (inclinometer), but it does happen from time to time.

I use an Accutrac22 and a Signal Loc. It's seldom I use anything but my Accutrack.

grydlok said:
I use an Accutrac22 and a Signal Loc. It's seldom I use anything but my Accutrack.

Accutrac22 Pro fits most all needs ! Price is good and works all day,if you set it to Auto Off. If it falls to its death you arent out a large amount of cash ,and ease of use is a good factor.Along with having multiple uses to check drops etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)