How to utilize my Textronics Oscilloscope to set up a ku band Dish

electronmini

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Now back in Texas
I used to set up dishes a few years ago for Ku band and abandoned this hobby after a awhile. Now I was thinking of buying a satlink finder to easily find the satellites in North America.

Is there any information on how to use my Textronics (Old AM/USN 425) to find the satellites?
Thanks in advance,
Wilson

Have never used an oscilloscope to locate satellites, but would be interested in how this is done. I assume you have to attach it to some kind of downconverted signal?

It would be a good stable platform to sit a satellite meter or receiver on... :D

But seriously, the LNBF is powered by polarity switching 13/18Vdc and outputs a downconverted block of IF from 950-2150MHz. One would need a tuner and power supply to provide a signal for the scope. Honesty, a cheap $30 DVBS/S2 receiver would provide more useful signal tuning information than the scope. The scope would be useful for troubleshooting the system components, but not for signal acquisition.

Reactions: electronmini
It could be connected to the 70 MHZ IF stage of the RX....If it has one....If it's accessible.

The old analog receivers had this. Don't know about digital.

Have never used an oscilloscope to locate satellites, but would be interested in how this is done. I assume you have to attach it to some kind of downconverted signal?
I myself have no idea of the kind of signals arriving. I thought that maybe just the garbled signals could be used to measure/set to dish

Problem is that you are mixing domains. An oscilloscope measures voltage and sweeps time. What you would need would be a spectrum analyzer. That measures voltage and sweeps frequency. A scope would not produce any sort of usable waveform. The spectrum analyzer would produce a series of peaks at each transponder frequency.

In practice, neither one is terribly useful compared to a satellite finder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)