how to watch one channel while recording another with a DVR?

davelaf

Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
CT.
How do I watch one channel while recording another at the same time? There has to be a way but I can't figure it out. I can do it on my VCR so I would think it can be done on a DVR. My DVR model is ViP722k. Please help if you can.

Record the item on TV2 and watch on TV1. If you are recording on TV1&2 and don't have OTA, then your only option would be to watch a previously recorded program.

It depends on a lot of things.... What TV are you wanting to do this on, the primary (TV1) or secondary (TV2) ? Is "Record Plus" enabled ? Is the receiver in "Single Mode" or "Dual Mode" ?

How do I watch one channel while recording another at the same time? There has to be a way but I can't figure it out. I can do it on my VCR so I would think it can be done on a DVR. My DVR model is ViP722k. Please help if you can.

It's really simple to do, but it requires a little knowledge...

First, the 722 needs to be in "single" mode. Single mode means that both TV1 (HD) and TV2 (SD) outputs show the same program. Dual mode means that TV1 and TV2 outputs show different programs (usually used when you have one receiver serving TVs in two rooms). Note that the TV1 and TV2 tuners are independent, and can always tune and record different programming, and always in HD (on HD channels, of course). Consult the manual for how to change between single and dual modes.

So, if you have the 722 in Single mode, you have a few scenarios:

1) You just turned the 722 on, nothing is presently being recorded.

If you want to record what is on, press the record button, press select or choose another option for recording. Now, if you want to watch a different program, press the "SWAP" button on the remote. This "swaps" the displayed channel with what the TV2 tuner is tuned to. Now you're watching TV2, and TV1 is recording your program for later viewing. You can swap back and forth anytime you want.

(The "swap" button is also used for swapping the PiP pictures)

2) You just turned the 722 on, but it is already recording something from a timer you scheduled.

In most cases, the receiver will default to recording on the TV2 tuner, so that you may still watch anything you choose on TV1. So, in this case, you're watching TV1, while TV2 goes on merrily recording in the background.

Sometimes, if you had two programs scheduled to record at the same time, you may end up with the receiver recording on TV1. Just press the "SWAP" button to change tuners, and - so long as it's not still recording two programs - you can select what to watch on the other tuner. In all cases, when you press "INFO", the info box shows the "REC" and a red ball in that tuner is recording.

3) you turn the 722 on, BOTH sat tuners are recording, but you want to watch/record something from an OTA tuner.

This is a little counter intuitive, unless the 722 is substantially different in handling OTA tuners than my 622 is. On the 622, you go into the guide, and select an OTA (yellow background) channel. The receiver switches the display to the OTA tuner, and does not affect the two sat tuners recording.

As I said, the receiver must be in "single" mode to make this work. If it is in "dual" mode, you can work around it a little, but somebody will end up watching the program being recorded!

It's really simple to do, but it requires a little knowledge...

So, if you have the 722 in Single mode, you have a few scenarios:

1) You just turned the 722 on, nothing is presently being recorded.

If you want to record what is on, press the record button, press select or choose another option for recording. Now, if you want to watch a different program, press the "SWAP" button on the remote. This "swaps" the displayed channel with what the TV2 tuner is tuned to. Now you're watching TV2, and TV1 is recording your program for later viewing. You can swap back and forth anytime you want.

(The "swap" button is also used for swapping the PiP pictures)

Actually, you do not need to use the swap button at all. Once you've started recording the program being viewed, simply raise or lower the channel as usual and the channel being viewed will change and the recording you just started will continue.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. My problem is when I'm recording something on TV1 that comes on let's say at 10:00 pm. When I go upstairs to watch a different show on TV2 at 10:00pm all I can get is the show I'm recording on TV1. I'm recording so I can watch the recorded program at another time so I really don't want to watch it at 10:00. The only thing I could do was delete the recording which took forever to figure out. I don't know if I could do it again if I tried.

So what your telling me is keep my tuner in dual mode. When I'm recording something on TV1 and I want to watch something on TV2 at the time of the recording all I have to do is press the swap button? Which remote do I press the button from; TV1 or TV2 or it doesn't matter? Is that right or am I screwing everything up?

Thanks guys. My problem is when I'm recording something on TV1 that comes on let's say at 10:00 pm. When I go upstairs to watch a different show on TV2 at 10:00pm all I can get is the show I'm recording on TV1. I'm recording so I can watch the recorded program at another time so I really don't want to watch it at 10:00. The only thing I could do was delete the recording which took forever to figure out. I don't know if I could do it again if I tried.

So what your telling me is keep my tuner in dual mode. When I'm recording something on TV1 and I want to watch something on TV2 at the time of the recording all I have to do is press the swap button? Which remote do I press the button from; TV1 or TV2 or it doesn't matter? Is that right or am I screwing everything up?
You are confusing TV# with Tuner# - they are not the same. Viggin61 laid it out for you in great detail. (I added a very minor correction.) He wants you to be in Single Mode if you want to be able to view a live event other than the recording in progress at either of the TVs. In Single Mode you should not think in terms of Tuner number, but rather there is the tuner that both of your TV are viewing and there is another tuner.

If you are recording one program, to view something different simply change the channel on the receiver at either TV location. EITHER TV. Remember, in Single Mode both TVs always displays the same thing.

New subject. If you are in Dual Mode, TV1 displays tuner 1 and TV2 views tuner 2. If you only have one program being recorded, one of the
TVs will have to watch that recording (or a previous recording.) If in fact tuner 1 is recording and that is the only recording in progress, the remote TV is free to change the channel on tuner 2.

Now just to be thorough, if while recording a show you decide to view it from an earlier than real time point, that will tie up the second tuner. Now if you try to simply change the channel at either TV you will be asked if you want to stop the recording in progress.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. My problem is when I'm recording something on TV1 that comes on let's say at 10:00 pm. When I go upstairs to watch a different show on TV2 at 10:00pm all I can get is the show I'm recording on TV1 ...
This is not the same problem that you initially stated. viggen61 thoroughly addressed the below question.

"How do I watch one channel while recording another at the same time? There has to be a way but I can't figure it out. I can do it on my VCR so I would think it can be done on a DVR. ... "

If you routinely watch both TVs almost equally, I think you want to be in "Single Mode". Then, if the TV you want to watch on is "busy", you simply swap. In "Dual Mode" and with "Record Plus" enabled, recordings will by default go to TV2 and if you want to watch regular TV on TV2 while a recording is in progress, you can't.

If you routinely watch both TVs almost equally, I think you want to be in "Single Mode". Then, if the TV you want to watch on is "busy", you simply swap ...
As previously pointed out, if only one tuner is "busy" in "Single Mode" there is no need to swap, all you need to do is change the channel.

Can someone help me please. I'm in the menu for shared view or do I change it to disable mode?? It won't let me. It's in enable mode now for the second tv. I just have the one box 722k. Thank you.

Can someone help me please. I'm in the menu for shared view or do I change it to disable mode?? It won't let me. It's in enable mode now for the second tv. I just have the one box 722k. Thank you.
Chris,

This is your first post in this thread. Presumably none of knows what your setup is and you have not given us any info in your post here. Shared view applies to Single Mode only and you enable it if you want the 2nd TV to be able to see what the primary TV is viewing. Disable it and the remote TV will see nada.

I'm not sure why the post if that is what you were asking. The Help button at the Shared View explains that ver clearly.

Am I missing something and you are trying to do something else?

I'm sorry. Have a OTA I would like to record up to 4 channels. I thought someone said somewhere else that you can record 2 OTA channels and 2 satellite channels at the same time. I have the 722k and a wire to the second tv upstairs I have the primary box in my room. It's in duel mode now. But is there a way to change it to single mode?? I thought you have to change it in shared view?? Am I wrong??

Thanks,
Chris

I'm sorry. Have a OTA I would like to record up to 4 channels. I thought someone said somewhere else that you can record 2 OTA channels and 2 satellite channels at the same time. I have the 722k and a wire to the second tv upstairs I have the primary box in my room. It's in duel mode now. But is there a way to change it to single mode?? I thought you have to change it in shared view?? Am I wrong??
Chris,

The only way to change modes is by the switch on the front of the receiver box. You can not do it with a remote.

After you switch to Single mode, go back into the menu and Enable Shared Mode to allow the upstairs TV to see what you are viewing in your room.

I am not sure why you want Single vice Dual mode but in either mode you can simultaneously record two OTA channels and tqo sat channels for a total of four simultaneously.

The choice of dual vs single depends on the way in which the TVs are used. For example, I have my 722k operated in Single mode because 99.99% of the time it is viewed only by one TV at the location of the receiver. That said, we have a 622 receiver in our MBR which is also sending TV2 to our kitchen. My wife is the main viewer at both of those locations so she doesn't need to be able to watch different tuners at different locations so sh has that 622 in Single Mode also.

In that you have a 722k in Dual Mode, each TV has access to one OTA tuner. In Single mode you only have one TV and it, of course, can view either OTA tuner.

Hope that helps.

PS I see that you're in RI. I'm a retired Navy Submariner with lots of years in New London...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts