Howard Stern Signs With In Demand - Will Dish Carry?

jsuede

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Stern turns to In Demand
Sirius biz: Shockjock inks a sat deal

NEW YORK (Variety.com)-- Howard Stern has signed a three-year deal with In Demand to carry the TV version of his daily show on Sirius satellite radio.
Auds will get the raunchy Stern instead of the sanitized version, which is still available on E! even though his contract wasn't renewed. Basic cablercabler is still running reruns.

In Demand, the dominant U.S. distributor of pay-per-view movies and events, will offer the Stern show to cable networks via subscription video-on-demand. SVOD is a platform that requires people to subscribe to a digital cable box and in this case pay $10 extra each month to get the standalone channel that carries Stern.

The parties declined to reveal the amount of money In Demand will pay Stern for exclusive TV rights to his show, but the deal is complicated because it includes an unspecified number of pay-per-view specials produced and hosted by Stern. His New Year's Eve PPVPPV event in December 1993 racked
up 35 million buys to become one of the biggest nonsports revenue generators in the history of pay-per-view.

In Demand will distribute these one-shots for a PPV fee separate from the radio show subscription, although customers may get the specials at no extra cost if they buy a one-year subscription to the SVOD service.

Rob Jacobson, president-CEO of In Demand Networks, said the company's plan -- beginning later this year -- is to tape each day's four-hour radio show featuring Stern and his cast of regulars and edit it down to between 60 and 90 minutes for delivery to SVOD customers the next day.

"We'll have a lot of flexibility and latitude in figuring out the exact length of each show," Jacobson said. "Our goal is to create a tightly edited, fast-moving show."

One reason Stern chose In Demand as the TV partner, said his agent-manager Don BuchwaldDon Buchwald, is that Stern won't face "the censorship and government interference that continue on his terrestrial radio show" distributed by Infinity Broadcasting.

That censorship, which has cost Stern $1.75 million in government fines, drove a wedge between Infinity and the shockjock. Instead of renewing his contract with Infinity, which expires at the end of the year, Stern jumped to Sirius, which agreed to pony up $100 million per year for five years, beginning in January.

E! Entertainment TV, which carries a half-hour nightly version of his Infinity show, has to be much more discreet because it takes advertising. "E!" covers any nudity with pixilation; foul language disappears through electronically lowered volume.

Last September, Stern cut a deal with Internet VODVOD company Movielink to offer uncensored clips on Stern's Web site from the E! cablecast featuring the soft-core nudity that E! eliminated. That deal expires with the end of the E! contract.

Jacobson said as many as 20 million In Demand subscribers will be able to buy Stern on SVOD when it kicks off in January. If only a small percentage of that number ponies up for the show, In Demand and Stern will be rolling in dough.

"Howard will be the first stand-alone personality in SVOD," Jacobson said, adding he's confident the shockjock's fans will seek him out and swell the number of SVOD subscribers.

Buchwald said Stern was attracted to In Demand because "it's a company with significant substance. It's owned by three major cable operators: Comcast, Time Warner and Cox."

All three of those operators are carving out SVOD dial positions for the Stern show, and In Demand has begun negotiating with other cable operators.

For Stern junkies, Jacobson said the SVOD window will keep previous Stern shows on the platform for a couple of weeks for call-up at the flick of a button on the remote.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117926925?categoryid=1236&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Well, if the show is 60-90 minutes, and Charlie says on-demand for dish will transfer in real time, that's going to be real annoying...

The whole dish on-demand thing is annoying, frankly. Just another reason to consider moving on...

In Demand is cable only. And since the original article says "In Demand will pay Stern for exclusive TV rights to his show", I suspect they will *not* offer it to Dish or DirecTV.

Actually I would not be surprised to see Dish make a deal with Indemand. The Stern PPV deal leaves too much money on the table for Dish to pass up.

I do hope they go for it. :)

This might result in less Stern fans purchasing a Sirius radio to listen to their guy. For less than the cost of a radio and monthly radio fee, Stern fans can just watch the un-censored show, with the ability to freeze frame, re-wind, fast-foward, etc. I assume the "best parts" of the radio show, will be condensed to the VOD show.

oby said:
This might result in less Stern fans purchasing a Sirius radio to listen to their guy. For less than the cost of a radio and monthly radio fee, Stern fans can just watch the un-censored show, with the ability to freeze frame, re-wind, fast-foward, etc. I assume the "best parts" of the radio show, will be condensed to the VOD show.

I don't think so. Sirius is what $12.95 a month and VOD will probably be $3.99-4.99 per event. With 5 shows a week and about 4 weeks a month, you would be paying about $80 a month to watch every episode.

dtanderson said:
I don't think so. Sirius is what $12.95 a month and VOD will probably be $3.99-4.99 per event. With 5 shows a week and about 4 weeks a month, you would be paying about $80 a month to watch every episode.

its going to be a subscripition based on demand where for $10 a month you get unlimited access to the libary. just like hbo,cinemax, sho ondemand

the VOD would be a monthly fee but they also mentioned "long form 60-90 minute" PPV events that would be like a wrestling event or whatever and would cost you a one time charge per each one you watched. Looks like In-Demand wants to cash in both ways, thru the VOD content and PPV Content.

I wish they would realize that we're more than willing to pay for this stuff, but don't need to be squeezed for every last penny...

I'd gladly pay 200 a month to have E* open up every channel to me...So what If I watch PPV all day, the signal is there whether I can see it or not, so let me see it since it won't cost you anything to leave it open...Take my money, please...

While not a Stern "fan" or even a regular listener, I do find that although his humor can sometimes be offensive, crude or just plain dumb, it often is so side-splitting that I can hardly steer straight on my way to work.

Scott is correct that there is too much money involved for Dish to ignore this content option.

As always, for any content one doesn't like either don't watch or block. Easy enough.

While O&A could be very funny, it's the only radio show i've ever fallen asleep while listening to...at 6:30 in the afternoon...suffice to say i'm not one of the 100k listeners of theirs on XM...

Barry Erick said:
Another thing that is wrong with America today. Saying this is entertainment. Yuk.

Your comment is what is indeed "wrong" with America. Attacking other people's opinions or choices when they differ from your own. There's no need to mock those interested in purchasing a 60-90 minute show that appeals to them.

Imagine the outrage there would be if someone used your quote to describe the next 24/7 Jesus network to launch...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts