Hows does 'service on hold' work?

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
Hello everyone; I checked related threads to my question.. Most are old. So, I need some advice. Here's the story:

Starting in the middle of July the wifey and I are heading to several European countries for 10 to 12 weeks. I am considering putting my satellite service on hold. Never had it done before.
Can I just tell the rep exact days? If I come back few days before my hold ends do I call them back or wait until it automatically starts? I assume prime time stops daily recording when the service is on hold, which is no big deal.

I am waiting to hear from you ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for your time.

When Covid stopped everything in March 2020 we were in Barcelona and had to rush back home. It was pure hell calling and cancelling all the reservations. With four shots on our arms we are ready and still taking our masks!!

There are better people to answer this as I have never used the HOLD option. One thing I think is correct though is that you have any promo or discounted pricing that will end when you use hold.

I'm on DISH Pause now and you can do it for up to 9 months but you can resume your service at any time before that. If you pick an increment of time.....it can be 3, 6 or 9.....and you reach the end of that time without doing anything, your service automatically starts again.

They say you lose all discounts when you start up again and there are some stipulations on how it works if you're in contract. I only had a grandfathered $3 DVR discount and was not in a contract.

You have to call them to start DISH Pause. You can't do it online.

Thanks. It is reasonable if they need to add the pause period to your contract. I wonder if it is better to call US base rep. Those overseas reps have limited knowledge even though they are super polite and eager to help.

Thanks. It is reasonable if they need to add the pause period to your contract. I wonder if it is better to call US base rep. Those overseas reps have limited knowledge even though they are super polite and eager to help.
I called the regular DISH 800 number and a customer service rep in Spokane WA took care of it. I know that because he told me where he was located......when he found out I'm in Buffalo, he started talking about Josh Allen, football, he's a Seahwaks fan in Spokane, Russell Wilson, etc. etc. etc. He seemed more interested in talking about football than in putting me on the Pause program. No hassle, no pressure, he took care of my request.

Of course, you may get a different experience but it wasn't an overseas rep.

Reactions: lfp302
I talked to cust. rep Brandon today. They give you 3 options. 3 6 or 9 months. It costs $5 plus tax a month. If you do nothing the service starts after the last day of your choice automatically. If you want it earlier than agreed pause time you call and ask for the service. You pay the difference.

I don't know if you are required to have service on pause more than say 2 months. I will be away at least 10 or 11 weeks. Brandon wasn't sure what time it starts on the first day. I picked a day later than my original cut-off date. It seemed pretty easy to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)