How's The Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just timed it exactly and it's around 5 or 6 seconds total on this Vista machine.

Was your Vista machine that slow on vBulletin?

I'm now at work on a Vista machine w/dual-core and only 1GB of ram. It's faster than that. :eek: But you're describing my W2K machine to a tee. It takes around 6 seconds/page, and that's before I open up 5 or more tabs after which my CPU is totally max'd out and everythying slows to a crawl. 2G RAM at home.

Reactions: JSheridan
Was your Vista machine that slow on vBulletin?

I'm now at work on a Vista machine w/dual-core and only 1GB of ram. It's faster than that. :eek: But you're describing my W2K machine to a tee. It takes around 6 seconds/page, and that's before I open up 5 or more tabs after which my CPU is totally max'd out and everythying slows to a crawl. 2G RAM at home.

vBulletin was really fast, and the other vBulletin sites I visit are still very fast.

This Vista machine is 32 bit OS dual core 2.8Ghz with 4GB of RAM (only 3.something GB used in 32 bit). I'm connected by DSL with DL speed of about 6M. I can see the processor almost max out on this site very often now which it never did on the vBulletin site. A lot of modern sites are extremely processor intensive. Hell, even the local newspaper maxes it out since their latest upgrade. :)

New computer is on the way. :grinbounce

Reactions: TheKrell
Here is what the speed looks like for me from my office.

I am on a 50 MB Comcast Connection here in the office (which is being used by 50 other people in the office) :)

Reactions: Frank Jr.
I am on a 50 MB Comcast Connection here in the office (which is being used by 50 other people in the office) :)

I am firmly convinced that it's not a download bandwidth issue at all; it's all about cpu-intensive web pages sucking my feeble-minded CPUs dry. If the ads you're putting up are the same as they were on vBulletin, then I don't know what the issue is other than Xenforo. Even my W2K machine loaded Satelliteguys very fast (probably faster than 2 secs) when it was vBulletin-based. Other vBulletin sites are still as zippy as they ever were. But now, with Satelliteguys on Xenforo, I'm really slowed down to a crawl, particularly when multiple SG tabs are open, or I try to mark all posts in a sub-forum "read". Gag that takes forever! Marking forums "read" used to be near instantaneous with vBulletin.

Reactions: JSheridan
Page loads have always been fine for me, guessing about a quarter second. Running Safari 7 on three different Macs.

it's all about cpu-intensive web pages sucking my feeble-minded CPUs dry.
I see you are on Firefox 30.0 using Windows Vista. When I did that video I was using Chrome on Windows 7.

In Firefox things are loading just as fast for me. And I have also been monitoring the PC with Activity Monitor and there has been no increase in CPU load when loading browsing or having SatelliteGuys loading in 5 different tabs.

Which tells me something is out of wack on your machine, besides just running Vista. :D

This software should be LESS CPU intensive than the old software was as it is running modern CSS and templates. Anything running from the site is javascript.

You might want to check if you have the lastest version of Java loaded and also make sure no security programs or settings are set to block Javascript. I am guessing but if the Javascript is being blocked then it would continue to try grabbing it and could cause CPU use.

Another thing to do is clear your cache and restart the browser as it is always possible that something got corrupted when it was downloading and is now stuck in cache.

This message was posted using Firefox. :D

Reactions: TheKrell
Another thing to make sure of is to make sure nothing is blocking googleapis.com. As that is where the majority of the javascript is coming from. The rest of (which is a very small part) of the Javascript is coming from our own cloud servers cdn.satelliteguys.us. :)

Another thing to do is clear your cache and restart the browser as it is always possible that something got corrupted when it was downloading and is now stuck in cache.

Well I'll be blessed! Clearing my cache helped A LOT on this Vista machine. I don't know if it's down to 2 secs now, but it's close. It even speeded up the "Mark Forums Read" function. I wonder if this will work similar magic on my W2K machine at home?

Well I'll be blessed! Clearing my cache helped A LOT on this Vista machine. I don't know if it's down to 2 secs now, but it's close. It even speeded up the "Mark Forums Read" function. I wonder if this will work similar magic on my W2K machine at home?
I can not like this post enough. :)

The entire point of us moving was to make things BETTER now worse. :D

Well, it helped here (W2K) too, but it still takes 4 secs or so. And with multiple tabs open, my CPU fan sins up, and overall it slows down everything. :( I think there's something going on here that sucks up cycles doing nothing that I can see. This never happened on the old SG/vB setup. On this page, right now, I see the animated Allstate banner ad, but nothing else is animated. I know that my Java VM is ancient and cannot be upgraded on W2K, so I can't try that fix. I don't run any ad blockers, other than blocking pop-ups with FF itself.

Anything else I can try? No, I will not "upgrade" to XP. :p I went directly to W7 via dual-boot, because it had stuff included that I wanted (Media Center), and I got a great price ($50), and the Aero interface is pretty nice although I don't see the big appeal of transparency. Don't even get me started on W8. It let me install that on an old P4 which promptly rendered it unbootable because of a W8 requirement that the MS installer never checked. :rant: I borrowed a very nice core i5 from work (Intel NUC) and installed W8 on it. What a crock that is! (W8, not the NUC.)

Win 7 x64 with IE10
Desktop PC:
CPU: i5-650 Dual Core 3.20 GHz
RAM: Corsair 16 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz
HDD: Seagate 1 Tb 7200 RPM SATA III
NET provider: Verizon FIOS 85/35

My page reload/refresh speed is about 2 seconds. It doesn't seem different than the vB page time but may be a little faster.

It's close to the same speed as that "other" forum. That one's slightly faster but very close to the same as SattGuys.

The new computer has arrived and BAM! everything is super fast. :)

Yeah, it's OK on my Vista dual core after I cleared the cache at Scott's suggestion. It's not as fast as vBulletin was, but it's not really bad and I can't complain. I sure wouldn't call it "smoking fast", though. Still pretty ponderous on my aging W2K computer, even after clearing the cache. :( That computer used to be very snappy on vBulletin. I might even have called it "smoking fast" on vBulletin.

So what is Xenforo doing differently from vBulletin to make it so slow on older computers? The issue seems to be maxing out the CPU doing what I don't know.

Site has gone from one of the slower ones I go to when on Vbulletin, now one of the fastest. Dual core HP laptop Win 7.

Had a few hiccups with the reader app, timed out and sat trying to load thread.Closed the app, restarted, seems fine now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)