How's your hopper after losing power?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
As anyone unplugged your system or maybe lost power for a time and had any issues? I have a 2h/3j system. We were expecting some severe storms this afternoon so I completely unplugged my whole system (hoppers, joeys, tv's, Denon receiver,ect) just to prevent any possible lightning damage. I also unhooked all the coax cables coming into the receivers. So when I get home from work I went through the house and hooked everything back up. But I couldn't get the hoppers to work. I ran a check switch on both hoppers and all I could get was a red reception error message. It wouldn't detect any satellites. I reset both receivers and ran multiple check switches and still nothing. So I called the local installer that put my system in several weeks ago. He had no idea what was wrong but he suggested I unplug all the receivers in the house and wait a few minutes and then only plug one of the hoppers back in. I did this and it seemed to work. So I then went to the other hopper and then the joeys. One at a time just like when they were originally installed. So does this mean that every time we have a power outage that I will have to go through and set up each receiver one at a time?

Even now that it's working there still seems to be a few small issues that I hope gets worked out by tomorrow. I had to do another rest just to get my locals to appear in the guide. And I have American Idol set up as a series timer. It normally uses the PTAT timer to record, but right now it shows it using another tuner besides the the PTAT tuner. Also, my auto hop feature has disappeared on the shows I recorded from last night. I hope all this gets cleared up by tomorrow.

My power went out a week or so ago and I have 2 Hoppers 3 Joeys, and all was fine but 1 Hopper which the HDMI stopped working. Tried different TV's, ports, cords nothing. Surge must have blown the HDMI jack so I have to use componet cables on that one now.

My power went out a week or so ago and I have 2 Hoppers 3 Joeys, and all was fine but 1 Hopper which the HDMI stopped working. Tried different TV's, ports, cords nothing. Surge must have blown the HDMI jack so I have to use componet cables on that one now.
I can identify. We had a lightning caused power outage which fried a cordless phone base station, a powered subwoofer, the LAN port on my motherboard and knocked out caller ID on our 722 (if phone line was connected, we could not get incoming calls). Overall, we were lucky.

There is no problem with a power outage, they just restart normally. You probably triggered problems by disconnecting the input wiring, possibly by restoring power to any part of the system before everything was reconnected. Maybe?

There is no problem with a power outage, they just restart normally. You probably triggered problems by disconnecting the input wiring, possibly by restoring power to any part of the system before everything was reconnected. Maybe?
Can't imagine why anyone would do as you suggest. Power goes off. Power comes back on. Who would mess with input wiring in the interim? A surged power outage can cause damage.

I have been unplugging everything for the past year or so in fear of a direct lightning strike. I guess my biggest worry is losing everything on the DVR if it gets hit. I've always unscrewed the coax cables from the boxes as well as the power from the wall. I assume lightning could hit the dish and run through the cables to my boxes. Is that not a possibility? Maybe I just worry to much.

I left town for the weekend and unplugged my 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. When i got home and plugged them back in they booted right up without any issues.

Scherrman said:
I left town for the weekend and unplugged my 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. When i got home and plugged them back in they booted right up without any issues.

Did you unhook the coax in the back? I'm wondering if by doing that it does something to the duo node? Maybe resets something causing you to hook everything back up one at a time just like when they were first installed?

Can't imagine why anyone would do as you suggest. Power goes off. Power comes back on. Who would mess with input wiring in the interim? A surged power outage can cause damage.

Not me! The OP said he did. That's why I suggested that the sequence of connecting and powering up might have been the problem.

Did you unhook the coax in the back? I'm wondering if by doing that it does something to the duo node? Maybe resets something causing you to hook everything back up one at a time just like when they were first installed?

I did not unhook the coax in that instance but I have unhooked it before without any issues.

Chances are you are still within the 60-day install period. If I were you, I'd get that Hopper replaced.

I have a Hopper and Joey in my 5th wheel. They first lose satellite reception and then power every time we go out camping. The power is off from anywhere around an hour and up to three hours. I've never had an issue with them coming right back up.

I have been unplugging everything for the past year or so in fear of a direct lightning strike. I guess my biggest worry is losing everything on the DVR if it gets hit. I've always unscrewed the coax cables from the boxes as well as the power from the wall. I assume lightning could hit the dish and run through the cables to my boxes. Is that not a possibility? Maybe I just worry to much.

You never said whether, at the time you had the problem, that you restored power before or after you reconnected all of the cables. Messing with cables while completely unpowered should affect nothing as long as everything it restored before powering up.

patmurphey said:
You never said whether, at the time you had the problem, that you restored power before or after you reconnected all of the cables. Messing with cables while completely unpowered should affect nothing as long as everything it restored before powering up.

Well I honestly don't remember which I did first. I stopped by the house while on the job and was just trying to hurry.

Well I honestly don't remember which I did first. I stopped by the house while on the job and was just trying to hurry.

I had total power failure last night and today due to the storms that hit oklahoma.

The hopper took a few minutes to come up. The only issue that I saw was that the ups that the hopper and tv is on was completely depleted and the system rebooted itself a couple of times until the ups had enough power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts