HP BIOS Help

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My uncle has an HP Printer connected to his HP Desktop.

It's a USB printer. He says whenever he boots up the computer it locks up, until he unplugs the USB cable for the printer. It starts up fine and after he reconnects the cable all is well with the printer.

I've been reading about USB Emulation. There's a setting in the BIOS to disable that.

Can anyone walk me through where that is in the BIOS so I can tell him where to go to disable it?

Sounds like there is a driver problem. I would find it unlikely to be a problem in the BIOS. BIOS tends to just have USB ports enabled/disabled (i.e. completely gone if you disable). BIOS also has an option to find USB keyboards/mice and make them seem like the old PS2 direct connect ones for OSs that do not understand USB (enable/disable LEGACY USB).

More likely fix would be to unplug the printer from the USB port, remove all the HP printer drivers, reinstall them, then plug in the printer and finish the installation.

I agree with Mike, I think it is a driver problem also.

Found the fix.

I had my uncle turn off USB Emulation in the BIOS.

This is also the fix for a computer that insists on trying to boot from an attached USB hard drive or USB memory stick.

Is the printer one that has card slots for printing digital images directly from memory cards? The computer probably saw those and was trying to boot from one of them. If you want USB emulation turned on you can probably adjust the boot device ordering so that USB devices come after the hard drive or are skipped entirely.

Good point, I had forgotten about the boot order issue with memory cards in cameras and printers. I just automatically change every computer I install to only boot from hard drive. I just change it to DVD/CD when I need to boot from there for OS repair. In my environment there never has been a need to boot from USB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)