HP Slimline-Nvidia 8500GT-Vista :(

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I bought a hp slimline 3320t...Nice small case, quiet, for use as a media center with hddvd/bluray/dvd writer built in

It has an NVidia 87500GT card, dvi/HDMI connectors on it
Vista Ultimate

I want to interface it to my Mits WD62525 set like I did before with my previous Media machine which was easy under XP Pro and powerstrip

Well, Powerstrip does not allow custom screen timings with nvidia cards of the new generation.

So I try hdmi output. It works until it tries to load the desktop and goes blank.

Under the dvi to vga, i can get to the desktop and see it thinks it can support 2 screens, but every time i plug into the hdma, the dvi cuts out

The newest nvidia driver has custom timings, but nothing i set fills the screen. It seems to sometimes change tv formats from 720p to xga etc based upon resolution. My old was 1200x720, custom res to 1184x666 @ 60hz with powerstrip, and it worked perfectly, tv said it was 720p

Had no problem in XP Pro.

Any ideas how to make it work, or since this is a small computer, a video card that can do this well, under Vista? I need a smaller card, ATI probably would work if i can find a small one

Any ideas?

Last edited:
In my Vista system I started with a 8500 GT, bought a Radeon 2600 XT ( its on our classifieds here at sat guys now, for sale or trade) and I now have a Nvidia 8600 GT OC. there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between them, I just like the Nvidia control panel better, but then I am a neophyte, and the reason I didn't like the Radeon is there were SO many options.

I don't like how ANY video card works with Vista, but that is Vista's fault, not the card's. Nvidia, together with Microsoft's DRM schemeing, made damned sure that you don't do ANYTHING YOU want to do, you WILL do what THEY want you to do with YOUR signal. :mad:

In my Vista system I started with a 8500 GT, bought a Radeon 2600 XT ( its on our classifieds here at sat guys now, for sale or trade) and I now have a Nvidia 8600 GT OC. there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between them, I just like the Nvidia control panel better, but then I am a neophyte, and the reason I didn't like the Radeon is there were SO many options.

I don't like how ANY video card works with Vista, but that is Vista's fault, not the card's. Nvidia, together with Microsoft's DRM schemeing, made damned sure that you don't do ANYTHING YOU want to do, you WILL do what THEY want you to do with YOUR signal. :mad:

A few questions:
With your 8600 GT--
Are you getting HDMI to work?
Are you getting full screen to work?
Did full screen work on the ATI 2600XT?

Is the ATI card relatively small? Does it do HD?

Well, I got a new card, an ATI/Sapphire HD 2600

It has dvi/hdmi and compnent.

It is small enough for the slimline so i will try it tonight

Phil