HR10-250 and Off-Air Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScottJayhawk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it just my HR10-250 is does the off-air antenna input just suck?

Just got the new HR10-250 and a new Mitsubishi WD-57731

I'll skip the details of trying this antenna, that antenna, tweaking these settings and location because it doesn't really apply to the bottom line of my question/concern.

If I plug the same exact antenna into the HR10-250 and then on my TV directly (not a split signal, unplugged from one after testing then to the other) the signal strength and ability to hold a quality picture without dropping it is FAR superior when plugged directly into my TV than plugged into the HR10-250 antenna in. It's very frustrating.

I can get all over the air channels (6 in all) with an antenna to be very strong when plugged into my TV direct. Hook that exact same feed into the HR10-250 directly and only 2 channels are that strong, with 2 not getting picked up at all and the other 2 constantly coming in and out. Same exact antenna that was just working great when plugged into the TV.

Do I have a defective unit or is this just yet another flaw in the HR10-250 receiver??

Thanks in advance for any info!!

I do the same thing, but have no problems or see a difference in signal strength or picture quality. sounds like the box may be the problem

I have the HR10-250 and live in a fringe area and my hi gain UHF antenna will be here this afternoon. From all the forums, I have already decided not to expect much from the HR10-250 so am going to use the new TV tuner right away. When I know everything is working then will try the receiver just so I can record OTA if it works.

The ATSC tuner in the HR10-250 are not as good as the latest tuners found in TV sets. You may well find that your TV tunes/locks things that the HR10-250 won't.

When I know everything is working then will try the receiver just so I can record OTA if it works.

Looking forward to a follow up post with your results!! Thanks

cheer said:
The ATSC tuner in the HR10-250 are not as good as the latest tuners found in TV sets. You may well find that your TV tunes/locks things that the HR10-250 won't.

The HR10-250 is an older receiver, therefore I would not expect it's tuner to be as good as the newer TV's and receivers.

Jimbo

We bought a new Sonly LCD TV, and had great signal strength through the built-in tuner. When I got the HR10-250, several of the channels wouldn't even come in. The channels that did come in, were significantly lower signal strength.

I picked up an amplifier for my antenna, and the signal improved dramatically. I had to do this on my other D* HD receiver (non-DVR) last year when I got it, so now have an amplifier on two (split) OTA lines.

scottie_h said:
We bought a new Sonly LCD TV, and had great signal strength through the built-in tuner. When I got the HR10-250, several of the channels wouldn't even come in. The channels that did come in, were significantly lower signal strength.

I picked up an amplifier for my antenna, and the signal improved dramatically. I had to do this on my other D* HD receiver (non-DVR) last year when I got it, so now have an amplifier on two (split) OTA lines.

My Sony LCD XBR has a great HD tuner in it. I get alot of channels with it that I cannot get in with my H-10.

Jimbo

ROCK CHAWK!

a lot could depend on your distance from the signal and the power of your ota antenna. The beauty of the HD signal is that you either get it or you don't, there's no in between like analoge. So, if you are getting a choppy picture, I would think it has more to do with your antenna and less to do with the receiver.

Side note: HD signal is either a yes or a no, but that does not mean that your signal won't go away "drop" from time to time...

If it helps, when I hooked up my H10-250 the OTA signal was and still is excellent. Mid to upper 90s on all channels. Have nothing else to compare this to.

mechman

digideal said:
a lot could depend on your distance from the signal and the power of your ota antenna. The beauty of the HD signal is that you either get it or you don't, there's no in between like analoge. So, if you are getting a choppy picture, I would think it has more to do with your antenna and less to do with the receiver.
When I unhooked my antenna from the TV tuner and moved it to HR10-250, I completely lost OTA channels that had a signal strength of 80+ through the TV tuner. So the receiver is entirely posible. (I'm not saying it's probable - but possible)

Obviously each situation is different...

scottie_h said:
When I unhooked my antenna from the TV tuner and moved it to HR10-250, I completely lost OTA channels that had a signal strength of 80+ through the TV tuner. So the receiver is entirely posible. (I'm not saying it's probable - but possible)

Obviously each situation is different...

Just curious, When you went from the TV tuner to the D* receiver.
Did you scan for channels again ?

Not doubting the issue between tuners at all, I was just wondering if you had.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Just curious, Whenyou went from the TV tuner to the D* receiver.
Did you scan for channels again ?

Not doubting the issue between tuners at all, I was just wondering if you had.
I had to - no choice. It was a brand new HR10-250, so had to scan for channels to be able to view through it. If I hadn't scanned for channels with the D* receiver, I wouldn't be able to watch OTA at all without changing to another input on my TV. (which isn't hooked up to the antenna any more anyway)

I have the found the picture quality on both my HR10-250's to be excellent. But the OTA tuner is weak. Can't get the NBC affiliate on the 250 but when I go directly through the tuner on my plasma-I get a signal. The signal strength on all of the channels is much lower on the HR10-250 than directly through the tuner on the TV.

Got the high gain antenna and CM7777 preamp and hooked it up to my TV tuner and got the Miami UHF digital channels fine. Then hooked it up to the HR10-250 receiver, did the scan, and it worked equally well to my surprise. I put the antenna in the attic to make it hurricane proof so didn't expect a lot since the transmitters are mostly 58 miles away. Two of the stations, 7and10, transmit digital signals in VHF so don't get either of them. I don't have room for a VHF antenna up there and since I get absolutely no signal from the analog signal don't think it would work. 2,4,and 6 OTA are so much better than the locals from the dish. OTA in Key Largo.

Question for all of you having issues with this tuner. How far away from the TV station transmitters do you live? I am considering going with the HR10-250, but all my locals are within 5 miles of my house. Is anyone having problems with something that close to you?

penguinmike87 said:
Question for all of you having issues with this tuner. How far away from the TV station transmitters do you live? I am considering going with the HR10-250, but all my locals are within 5 miles of my house. Is anyone having problems with something that close to you?

I'm am much further than 5 miles, 11-18 miles I believe without going back to antennaweb.org

penguinmike87 said:
I am 30 miles from the antenna farm. Channelmaster 4228 mounted in the attic of the garage. Signal is 95+. I'm having zero issues at this time.

mechman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)