HR10-250 OTA Tuner issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

technojunkie

Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
I know the OTA tuner on the HR10-250 has issues. Mine actually gets fairly good reception though not as good as the H10.

Today I found something strange. I have a local channel, 5.1, that I can receive just fine via the tuner in my SONY KDF-60WF655. I could not receive the channel on the HR10-250. Until today. When I went into the OTA diagonistics section and started to check for signal strength. I would get"0" strength when I tuned to channel 5.1. I started to search for other channels and stumble on to the signal for 5.1 only the tuner finds it at 20.1! Does anyone know why or how this can happen?

Ummm. I know you can get a "harmonic" signal with radio, but have never heard of this before. Is it a constant 24hr sig? Is this channel assigned to any other station in your area??---Ray

HDTV broadcasts don't take place on the channels you are used to. The FCC has given the broadcaster additional bandwidth for their HD channel. In your example the broadcaster normally broadcasts on CH5 so you see the HDTV broadcast as 5.1. The FCC has actually assigned them UHF CH 20 to broadcast their signal on. Go to www.antennaweb.org and you will see your actual broadcast channels.

also could have been that the local stations psip generator was hosed - if thats the case, the hd tivo is dead in the water for that station until it gets fired up again

jim

I rescanned and managed to get the channel in it's proper order. I did have to clear all the OTA channels first. When I didn't it just brought up the same info. I still have issues with PBS. My local affiliate uses 2 different frequencies for the same channel. One works better then the other. Unfortunately the twin stations are not included in the DTV lineup. Any ideas on how to resolve?

I am having a similar issue. I live in a market that serves two cities (Butte & Bozeman Montana). In Butte they broadcast on digital channel 33 and in Bozeman it's channel 34. They both get remapped to 6-1. I cannot receive the Butte broadcast as the tower is 80 miles away.

The DTV guide only knows about the broadcast from Butte (Channel 33) so the Bozeman version (Channel 34) doesn't have any programming guide information. Which makes recording programs difficult because you have to do the manual time/channel recording.

Does anyone one know a way to manually set the programming guide to show the schedule for the Butte station on the Bozeman channel? Basically a channel re-maping. There are also other channels that are just missing entirely from the programming guide.

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for who to contact at DTV about this. I have tried to call in to customer support, but they don't understand the issue.

Quick question - I've got an HR10-250 as well and receive great OTA HD... I'm considering cutting my DTV subscription for awhile but I don't want to miss a couple of shows I can catch OTA. Does the OTA tuner still work if you're not an active subscriber? Do DVR functions work (I assume not).

i beleive it will not function without the proper tier from directv.. ie.. it becomes a pplayback only machine ..

i know the highes htl-hd works as striclty an ota tuner without an access card.. but I think the hd tivi requires a sub...

I could be wrong though..

jim

0db said:
Quick question - I've got an HR10-250 as well and receive great OTA HD... I'm considering cutting my DTV subscription for awhile but I don't want to miss a couple of shows I can catch OTA. Does the OTA tuner still work if you're not an active subscriber? Do DVR functions work (I assume not).

It will still work to watch OTA, but of course you cannot record or use other TIVO functions (except rewind, pause, and fast forward) unless you have DVR service active.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts