HR10 to HR20-700...EWWW...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You got a point. DirecTV does spoil us all. I used to use a Scientific Atlantis cable HD DVR and it was junk compared to both HR series receivers. I am not saying that it's the end of the world but, I do feel I have made a sacrifice in order to receive DirecTV's new programming. I made a commitment a long time ago never to go back to Comcast or Adelphia as the case may be where I live. Even without the new programming and with my NY Locals, I get more HD programming then most cable subscribers in my area.

Two suggestions:

1. Report back to us in a few weeks and let us know how you feel about the HR20-700 then.

2. Don't pay much (any) attention to anything the perpetual D* bashers have to say. You know who you are!!

V.
The 1440x1080i IS better than they had before, so it IS an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Not everyone can afford a 1920x1080i panel. ( I think mine is 1366x 720p)
Mines not and that doesn't mean I can't watch excellent HD.
The Yankees Red Sox game tonight looks fabulous !

I am currently looking at getting a 1920x 1080p panel, are you saying my D* picture will look WORSE with the new panel, if so , maybe I should stick with the 720p version.

Price increase ????
Theres NO price increase until March when the yearly price increase happens.

Jimbo
And MArch would be pretty close to the 100 - 150 National HD channel expansion. That is a price increase as soon as the cake is out of the oven. Like I said that is the only sure thing. I do have to laugh at all of the idiots that believed him. I was NOT one. Even though MR Chase stated that he anticipated no increased costs for carrying the channels.:rolleyes:

BTW when did they carry a lower resolution than 1440 with mpeg4??? For Mpeg4 it is a new low. For OTA HD it is a new low also.

As far as 1080p goes, I have one. There is really not a lot of difference, IMO from 720p unless you hook up a HD DVD player or BD player.

Good news: Give it time and you'll find many advantages over Tivo.

Bad News: If you're like me, all those advantages will still result in it being a step below the Tivo.

The 3 biggest problems for me.

1) No dual live buffers - recording two shows in order to flip is a half-assed workaround that isn't real practical on Sundays.

2) No "Tivo Suggestions" equivalent. That's a killer for my wife, and it sucks to not always have a hard drive worth of programming to choose from at any given time. You have to keep plent of hard drive space available (empty) or risk shows getting deleted.

3) 50 Series Pass limit. This compounds problem #2 because you can't just pick a bunch of shows to record in order to offer a selection. It also means (at least in my household) that we have to delete all summer Passes to prep for fall, fall for spring, spring for summer, etc. instead of just letting them carry over.

And MArch would be pretty close to the 100 - 150 National HD channel expansion. That is a price increase as soon as the cake is out of the oven. Like I said that is the only sure thing. I do have to laugh at all of the idiots that believed him. I was NOT one. Even though MR Chase stated that he anticipated no increased costs for carrying the channels.:rolleyes:

BTW when did they carry a lower resolution than 1440 with mpeg4??? For Mpeg4 it is a new low. For OTA HD it is a new low also.

As far as 1080p goes, I have one. There is really not a lot of difference, IMO from 720p unless you hook up a HD DVD player or BD player.

V.
You're right, I was thinking Mpeg2.
IS there a standard for MPEG4 ???
I have yet to see mpeg4 on my TV, they don't have the locals in my town yet, #70, I hope by end of the year, but we've heard that before.
I use the OTA antenna anyways so it doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

They say if you sit more than 7-8 feet away from it you cannot tell the difference, between the 720 and 1080p.

Jimbo

Bad News: If you're like me, all those advantages will still result in it being a step below the Tivo.

1) No dual live buffers - recording two shows in order to flip is a half-assed workaround that isn't real practical on Sundays.

2) No "Tivo Suggestions" equivalent. That's a killer for my wife, and it sucks to not always have a hard drive worth of programming to choose from at any given time. You have to keep plent of hard drive space available (empty) or risk shows getting deleted.

3) 50 Series Pass limit. This compounds problem #2 because you can't just pick a bunch of shows to record in order to offer a selection. It also means (at least in my household) that we have to delete all summer Passes to prep for fall, fall for spring, spring for summer, etc. instead of just letting them carry over.

2. Gee, I have a "Back Button" on my remote, use it quite often on Sundays flipping back and forth between games.
I don't need to see EVERY play.

3. You REALLY RECORD MORE THAN 50 programs ???
When do you find time to watch them ?

Jimbo

2. Gee, I have a "Back Button" on my remote, use it quite often on Sundays flipping back and forth between games.

I do. And we're comparing the HR20 to the HR10. The HR10 has DLB and a "Back" button.

3. You REALLY RECORD MORE THAN 50 programs ???
When do you find time to watch them ?

Many are series that are short run cablenet shows like Atlantis, Battlestar, Burn Notice, etc. so most are not all active at any given time. Many others are just filler shows (House Hunters, Punk'd , etc.) set as series' passes just because there are no Tivo suggestions available and we like to have a library of shows available to watch. My Tivos have less than 50 Season Passes because of the suggestions.

DWDYEM2001 what is the model # of your HR20???

If it is the HR20 700.......then you can activate DOD tonite ONLY from 11:00pm to 2:30am.....you need to download the 019a software to activate DOD.

I dont think you'll have to have a broadband connection in order to get DOD on your HR20 ......but you'll need Broadband in order to use the service!!!!!

Quick, I just saw yur post. I have the HR20-700. Can I still download the DOD?

Jimbo2 said:
I do. And we're comparing the HR20 to the HR10. The HR10 has DLB and a "Back" button.
I too enjoyed that flip feature and liked watching EVERY play possible on Sundays between two different games. I agree that my HR10 was better in that regard. After my first Sunday with the new receiver, I am getting a little more comfortable with the HR20-700 and am starting to enjoy some of the features.

I don't miss those 3, I have been using both units for a year now and the thing I miss most in the HR20s is the "Wish List"

If you downloaded the current CE, then you should have the software on your machine to activate it.
Check the CE forum for directions, I know I've seen them.

Jimbo
What is CE? I don't really know what you are saying? How do I get the DOD? I am connect to the internet right now with my IRD...

What is CE? I don't really know what you are saying? How do I get the DOD? I am connect to the internet right now with my IRD...

If you haven't been doing the Cutting Edge Updates, you will not be able to participate in the VOD until it has been sent thru the "National Release" that would be Updates that D* sends to all receivers of a perticular model.

Patience, it will happen, I would think maybe after the first of the year, maybe sooner, but I would expect it to happen AFTER the HD roll out has run it's course.

Jimbo

So, I can't get the CE updates anytime soon? Right now, I cant keep my IRD perminantly hooked up to the router. I have to run an eithernet cable through the kitchen to do it.

Is it worth it to get one of those if I won't be able to get an CE updates until the national release of the VOD?

You won't be able to get the VOD , but you can get other new features earlier than those just using the "N R".
There will be info posted when the CE has the VOD in it again.
Most CE's come out on Friday or Saturday, most every week, but not always.

Join in if you want, please read the guideline for downloading the CE's before you do so.

They will be in the "Sticky" area of the C.E. Forum

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)