HR10 to HR20-700...EWWW...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Hello Guys,

The DirecTV setup guy just left after "Readying" my house for the new HD lineup.

I upgraded (or downgraded as of right now) from the HR10-250 to the HR20-700 in my living room and I want to vomit. The HR10-250 is the greatest receiver in the world compared to this new pile of crappola. These new HD channels better kick ass.

Anyway, the converters are hooked up and my 499 shows "searching for signal". Yippie. :sleeo

I put the old HR10-250 in my bedroom (as I own it) and the DirecTV guy left me with a new, leased, (non-DVR) HD receiver (for the bedroom) to activate when the new channels are broadcasted.

I am thinking of putting the HR10-250 back in my living room for the time being until the new channels are rolled out just so I don't have to look at this HR20 anymore. I really don't like it at all and am not sure if I can get used to it.

I just thought I'd share my opinion as my DirecTV system had some upgrading today. I'm really gonna miss my HR10 when these new channels come out. Hopefully the new programming will help me forget about it. At least DirecTV didn't charge me anything for these upgrades (except another two-year contract)

However, I do have some questions that maybe you guys can answer for me:

1) I hear that the quality of these new channels are going to be lower quality then the usual DTV HD channels that we are all used because of the MPEG4 format (or something like that). Is this really the case? I could use clarification on this. I got this info from a DirecTV hater.

2) Is there anywhere that I can find a list of the new channels? How many more will I be getting? I already have the NY HD locals.

3) When are these new channels supposted to be rolled out?

4) Is this going to be worth it? I really liked my old HR10.

Initial responses from Tivo lovers is similar to yours in a lot of cases (if not all). I had the same reaction myself. Give it time. This is definitley NOT a Tivo, and never will be. It has its positives, and negatives too. It doesn't have Dual Live Buffers, but it does have a 90-minute buffer on the current channel displayed. It can record three programs at once in any combination of D* or OTA. There are other little perks, but you will find those as you go along. Give a few days (or weeks) and let us know if you haven't softened up your opinion a little bit.

To address your questions:
1) MPEG4 through D* has been reported to be at least as good as OTA. Right now the only apples to apples comparisons are HDLIL and OTA (and some RSN's I believe). Most have been amazed by the clarity and quality of the D* signals.
2) Just search this forum and you will see several links to lists.
3) Initial rollout should happen anytime between now and later. Not specific enough? :D Most reports are saying the "official" word from D* is September 19th....might be out sooner, so keep an eye out for those literally any day now.
4) YES

Welcome to the fold my son! :D

1) I hear that the quality of these new channels are going to be lower quality then the usual DTV HD channels that we are all used because of the MPEG4 format (or something like that). Is this really the case? I could use clarification on this. I got this info from a DirecTV hater.

Answered you own question here (DirecTV Hater?) He/she is wrong.

2) Is there anywhere that I can find a list of the new channels? How many more will I be getting? I already have the NY HD locals.

One of the many threads: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/105983-directv-hd-channel-lineup.html

See above

Yep; and I really like the HR20; its no ReplayTV but I like it better than my friend that has the older version.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the details responses. ATP, I hope you're right. I will have to give this HR20 time. But, you are right when you say, "It's Not a Tivo". That is for sure. I am looking at these lists and they really do get me excited. I am confident a giant list of new HD channels will cure all of my issues with the new equipment.

A correction...You can only record two items at any given time. When DirecTV-onDemand is available, you will be able to download a program while recording two others.

There are many folks here in the forums that have the beta version of D-onDemand and it looks very promising. You need to connect your HR20 to your home network for it to work, and you also need an internet connection of at least 1.5 MB down for it to work well.

I am also a "Tivo Convert". It takes some getting used to, but it does have its benefits (speed is one of them).

Also, there are tips and tricks to let you play music and photos from your computer on the HR20. Search around for those or PM me and I'll put the instructions in this thread. Too tired to do it now, and I'll forget tomorrow, but I'll do it if you're interested.

A correction...You can only record two items at any given time. When DirecTV-onDemand is available, you will be able to download a program while recording two others.

There are many folks here in the forums that have the beta version of D-onDemand and it looks very promising. You need to connect your HR20 to your home network for it to work, and you also need an internet connection of at least 1.5 MB down for it to work well.

I am also a "Tivo Convert". It takes some getting used to, but it does have its benefits (speed is one of them).

Also, there are tips and tricks to let you play music and photos from your computer on the HR20. Search around for those or PM me and I'll put the instructions in this thread. Too tired to do it now, and I'll forget tomorrow, but I'll do it if you're interested.

can you clarify...can I pause a show on tuner1, keep recording it and switch to watch a tuner2, pausing there and switching back to tuner1? Is this possible on DTV's devices?

I fear it isn't. And if it's not possible, then i will probably cancel DTV once it reaches the point that they're entirely MPEG4. I use that functionality to watch NFL Sunday ticket and without it...it's just not worth it at all.

can you clarify...can I pause a show on tuner1, keep recording it and switch to watch a tuner2, pausing there and switching back to tuner1? Is this possible on DTV's devices?

I fear it isn't. And if it's not possible, then i will probably cancel DTV once it reaches the point that they're entirely MPEG4. I use that functionality to watch NFL Sunday ticket and without it...it's just not worth it at all.

Sorta, but what you need to do is actually set both channels to record, go to the My Playlist and select the alternate show (Tuner2) from the list of recordings, then repeat as needed for Tuner1, and back and forth ad infinitum. It is not as easy as the "Previous" or "Down Arrow" tuner switching on the Tivo DLB, but it can work.

And thanks mikew for the correction on my earlier post. I combined thoughts and that is what came out. What I meant to say was with DOD, you can do three recordings at once; or without DOD, you can record two things but unlike E* DVR, you can record two shows simultaneously from OTA, or 2 from Sat, or a combination of the two sources.

DWDYEM2001 - definitely go ahead and hookup your HR20 to your network so you can be prepared for the DOD national roll-out. It was part of a Cutting Edge release a few weeks ago, but doesn't appear to be in the works as part of the CE program anytime soon again. But it can't hurt to be prepared. And in the mean time, you can do the photo/music sharing to your HR20. Video from your PC is forecast, but no official timetable for that right now (that I know of).

That is interesting. I was wondering why there was an Ethernet port on the back of the receiver. The installer told me that it was for future technologies but didn't know what. No sense running Ethernet cable for something that isn't out yet. However, I wouldn't mind trying a Beta. DirecTV On Demand sounds awesome however. It really sounds like good ol' Dave is stepping up his game.

Playing music and stuff from my computer doesn't really appeal to me.

BlueGuy, I am a HUGE NFL fan and the tuner swapping was one of my favorite features on the HR10. You can't do it with the HR10.

But, there does seem to be a lot of interactive features with the Sunday Ticket on the HR20 that the HR10 doesn't have. I am going to give it a Sunday and try the HR20 and see how it goes. If I don't dig it, the HR10 is going back in the living room until the new channels are rolled out. JMO.

And it's not just the NFLST/SF that uses the interactive features of this receiver. The Tivo unit can't display the MIX channels (Kids Mix/News Mix/Sports Mix). One more "plus" for the D* box...if that is important for you.

That is interesting. I was wondering why there was an Ethernet port on the back of the receiver. The installer told me that it was for future technologies but didn't know what. No sense running Ethernet cable for something that isn't out yet. However, I wouldn't mind trying a Beta. DirecTV On Demand sounds awesome however. It really sounds like good ol' Dave is stepping up his game.

Playing music and stuff from my computer doesn't really appeal to me.

BlueGuy, I am a HUGE NFL fan and the tuner swapping was one of my favorite features on the HR10. You can't do it with the HR10.

But, there does seem to be a lot of interactive features with the Sunday Ticket on the HR20 that the HR10 doesn't have. I am going to give it a Sunday and try the HR20 and see how it goes. If I don't dig it, the HR10 is going back in the living room until the new channels are rolled out. JMO.

That shouldn't be very long. I know that you are stuck with the HR20 for the new channels, but if you really hate it "want to vomit" you should send it back and go with cable. I think it's a good unit myself but for you life is to short to be miserable and complain all the time. Use whatever equipment makes you happy and good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

I had the HR10 for about 2 mo's before I got my hr20. I can say I really dont miss the tivo, but the tivo that everyone loves to tout never really impressed me much.

People spend too much time wanting every dvr to be just like a tivo. Once they accept it isnt a tivo and get used to how to work it, its a great dvr.

You think the HR20 is bad, use a SA8300HD or Moto cable box.

I had the HR10 for about 2 mo's before I got my hr20. I can say I really dont miss the tivo, but the tivo that everyone loves to tout never really impressed me much.

People spend too much time wanting every dvr to be just like a tivo. Once they accept it isnt a tivo and get used to how to work it, its a great dvr.

You think the HR20 is bad, use a SA8300HD or Moto cable box.
You got a point. DirecTV does spoil us all. I used to use a Scientific Atlantis cable HD DVR and it was junk compared to both HR series receivers. I am not saying that it's the end of the world but, I do feel I have made a sacrifice in order to receive DirecTV's new programming. I made a commitment a long time ago never to go back to Comcast or Adelphia as the case may be where I live. Even without the new programming and with my NY Locals, I get more HD programming then most cable subscribers in my area.

Other thing is, from what I get the HR10 works better now. I had one before the HR20 was out and the slow guide loading made me happy to get rid of it.

Granted I ended up with an HR20 the first month it was out and that meant corrupted recordings and other issues for awhile, but the HR20 is a good unit now.

Hello Guys,

The DirecTV setup guy just left after "Readying" my house for the new HD lineup.

I upgraded (or downgraded as of right now) from the HR10-250 to the HR20-700 in my living room and I want to vomit. The HR10-250 is the greatest receiver in the world compared to this new pile of crappola. These new HD channels better kick ass.

Anyway, the converters are hooked up and my 499 shows "searching for signal". Yippie. :sleeo

I put the old HR10-250 in my bedroom (as I own it) and the DirecTV guy left me with a new, leased, (non-DVR) HD receiver (for the bedroom) to activate when the new channels are broadcasted.

I am thinking of putting the HR10-250 back in my living room for the time being until the new channels are rolled out just so I don't have to look at this HR20 anymore. I really don't like it at all and am not sure if I can get used to it.

I just thought I'd share my opinion as my DirecTV system had some upgrading today. I'm really gonna miss my HR10 when these new channels come out. Hopefully the new programming will help me forget about it. At least DirecTV didn't charge me anything for these upgrades (except another two-year contract)

I feel your pain and share much of your sentiments as an HR10-250 owner.

1. The mpeg4 locals currently shown are downrezzed to 1440x1080i. Those that say they look just as good as OTA either do not have the equipment necessary to display 1920x1080i, have local afiliates that multicast a lot, need an eye exam or derive some monetary benefit from D* in some way.

2. Yes, that stuff is all over this site, AVS and DBStalk

3. 9/19/07 according to the latest propoganda leaks.

4. Who knows, the only thing for sure is a price increase

after two weeks with the hr20 coming from the hr10 i'd never go back to the hr10. once you know what you are doing the hr20 is every bit as good as the hr10 and IMO much better just because of the speed.

You got a point. DirecTV does spoil us all. I used to use a Scientific Atlantis cable HD DVR and it was junk compared to both HR series receivers. I am not saying that it's the end of the world but, I do feel I have made a sacrifice in order to receive DirecTV's new programming. I made a commitment a long time ago never to go back to Comcast or Adelphia as the case may be where I live. Even without the new programming and with my NY Locals, I get more HD programming then most cable subscribers in my area.

It's not a sacrifice, just an adjustment, you'll get use to it and probably like it IF you want to, it all depends on what you want to do.

The new channels should be rolling out anytime now, in the next week .

Jimbo

Hello Guys,

I feel your pain and share much of your sentiments as an HR10-250 owner.

1. The mpeg4 locals currently shown are downrezzed to 1440x1080i. Those that say they look just as good as OTA either do not have the equipment necessary to display 1920x1080i, have local afiliates that multicast a lot, need an eye exam or derive some monetary benefit from D* in some way.

2. Yes, that stuff is all over this site, AVS and DBStalk

3. 9/19/07 according to the latest propoganda leaks.

4. Who knows, the only thing for sure is a price increase

V.
The 1440x1080i IS better than they had before, so it IS an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Not everyone can afford a 1920x1080i panel. ( I think mine is 1366x 720p)
Mines not and that doesn't mean I can't watch excellent HD.
The Yankees Red Sox game tonight looks fabulous !

I am currently looking at getting a 1920x 1080p panel, are you saying my D* picture will look WORSE with the new panel, if so , maybe I should stick with the 720p version.

Price increase ????
Theres NO price increase until March when the yearly price increase happens.

Jimbo

DWDYEM2001 what is the model # of your HR20???

If it is the HR20 700.......then you can activate DOD tonite ONLY from 11:00pm to 2:30am.....you need to download the 019a software to activate DOD.

I dont think you'll have to have a broadband connection in order to get DOD on your HR20 ......but you'll need Broadband in order to use the service!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)