hr10 vs hr20 and VOIP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oldguy1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Vonage claims the problems with the hr10-250 calling over VOIP is due to the poor quality modems in the hr10-250. This statement seems to be supported by the hackers using external modems successfully.

Does the hr20 dvr have the same problems with VOIP? A better quality modem?

The HR10-250 has two distinct phone calls.

1 call to local POPs that connect the unit basically via the "Internet" to upload/downlad the TiVo software specific data

1 call to DirecTV 1-800 to upload PPV information.

The TiVo portion of the call is what you see when you "force" a call.
And the portion that gives you the "failure" messages.

There is nothing on the system to tell you if the 1-800 DirecTV call fails or succeeds...

Anyway...
Part of the problem is sending DATA over the vonage. Vonage compresses the data. And if the connection simply isn't clean, or the modems on the POP side of things are not up todate, ect.... there are multiple points that it can fail.

The HR10-250 modems do work with vonage, in a lot of cases... just not all.

As for the HR20...
Very different machine. But from the "phone" call side of things... It just does the 1-800 DirecTV and seems to have NO problems with any of the major VoIP services.

I have had mine on Vonage now since I activated the box... and not one PPV hasnt been billed.. :(

ebonovic said:
The HR10-250 has two distinct phone calls.

1 call to local POPs that connect the unit basically via the "Internet" to upload/downlad the TiVo software specific data

1 call to DirecTV 1-800 to upload PPV information.

The TiVo portion of the call is what you see when you "force" a call.
And the portion that gives you the "failure" messages.

There is nothing on the system to tell you if the 1-800 DirecTV call fails or succeeds...

Anyway...
Part of the problem is sending DATA over the vonage. Vonage compresses the data. And if the connection simply isn't clean, or the modems on the POP side of things are not up todate, ect.... there are multiple points that it can fail.

The HR10-250 modems do work with vonage, in a lot of cases... just not all.

As for the HR20...
Very different machine. But from the "phone" call side of things... It just does the 1-800 DirecTV and seems to have NO problems with any of the major VoIP services.

I have had mine on Vonage now since I activated the box... and not one PPV hasnt been billed.. :(
Thanks for the reply. Another reason to go to the HR20 (when they get the bugs out and get a smaller or lighter dish).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

3 LNB vs 5 LNB setup

Boston Bruins blacked out on NESN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)