Status
Please reply by conversation.

*mad_professor*

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 9, 2004
Covina, CA
On Monday, I had 2 HR20-100 units installed. On Wednesday, I turned on the RF feature of the remotes and was very disappointed. If I move more than 6 ft. away from the receivers, the remote stop working. I even extended the external antenna and it didn't help one bit.

I called D* and explained my problem. Tech support claimed that they had to send out a tech with another remote to try it. I told them that was a waste of time since I have multiple units and have swapped the remotes with the same results. She said it was protocol and I didn't feel like arguing so I let them come out.

They came out today. What a clueless tech? He really didn't even understand RF and tried to swap out the remotes and of course, it didn't work. They wanted to send a supervisor out on Monday to look at it some more. Pretty lame!

Anyway, I hunted around on the internet and found some posts here and on some other boards about people having the same issue with their HR20-100 and it seems to be a fairly common issue. I called D* tech support and explained everything and I acted somewhat dumb about just "discovering" there are actually 2 models of the HR20 and it looks like I need the 700 to fix my problem. They actually admitted to me that they know about this issue and were more than willing to swap them.

Now, here is my real problem. According to the 3 Tech support people I spoke with today, they are willing to swap out my receivers but they have no way of specifying 700 vs. 100. So, the very nice lady told me that she will order two more, and if they are 100's, I have to box them back up and return them and then call back and order 2 more. I could potentially do this forever if they don't send 700's.

I really don't have time to keep fooling around with this but I don't know what I can do. Does anyone have any experience with getting D* to send out the right model? Is there any other department or someone I could speak with that could actually order the correct units? I could potentially never get 700's and having RF is a very important feature that I am not willing to give up on.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

On Monday, I had 2 HR20-100 units installed. On Wednesday, I turned on the RF feature of the remotes and was very disappointed. If I move more than 6 ft. away from the receivers, the remote stop working. I even extended the external antenna and it didn't help one bit.

I called D* and explained my problem. Tech support claimed that they had to send out a tech with another remote to try it. I told them that was a waste of time since I have multiple units and have swapped the remotes with the same results. She said it was protocol and I didn't feel like arguing so I let them come out.

They came out today. What a clueless tech? He really didn't even understand RF and tried to swap out the remotes and of course, it didn't work. They wanted to send a supervisor out on Monday to look at it some more. Pretty lame!

Anyway, I hunted around on the internet and found some posts here and on some other boards about people having the same issue with their HR20-100 and it seems to be a fairly common issue. I called D* tech support and explained everything and I acted somewhat dumb about just "discovering" there are actually 2 models of the HR20 and it looks like I need the 700 to fix my problem. They actually admitted to me that they know about this issue and were more than willing to swap them.

Now, here is my real problem. According to the 3 Tech support people I spoke with today, they are willing to swap out my receivers but they have no way of specifying 700 vs. 100. So, the very nice lady told me that she will order two more, and if they are 100's, I have to box them back up and return them and then call back and order 2 more. I could potentially do this forever if they don't send 700's.

I really don't have time to keep fooling around with this but I don't know what I can do. Does anyone have any experience with getting D* to send out the right model? Is there any other department or someone I could speak with that could actually order the correct units? I could potentially never get 700's and having RF is a very important feature that I am not willing to give up on.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I've never had problems with the RF funtion, although I've had several D* tech that did not even know they had RF.

Normally D* will send out the SAME rec. that you currently have, although NOT always, I have a -700 and had a -100 and the -100 was replaced with a -700.
One other thing you may be able to try, Ask D* if they will compensate you for you purchasing a -700 on your own, Costco in my town has a pallet or two of the -700's, also try the local BB. I had this set up the last time I needed a swap, the D* tech's were late and I told them I NEEDED it before Sunday (1st week of the NFL ST). I was going to buy one Sunday morning if they did nt show by then.
MAKE SURE they note your ACCOUNT.

btw, the tech made it out before Sunday morning even though it was a Friday 4-8 appointment.

Jimbo

It seems like its a toss up on which is a better receiver, the -100 or the -700. I have a -100, but since i've never had the other I wont weigh in on it. Others certainly have but I dont think i've heard anything definitive on which is best.

Is there a techincal improvement between either one, or is it all subjective to the user?

I just rarely started a thread on this every subject: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...d-my-directv-universal-rf-remote-control.html and it looks like you're getting as much help as I did. The -100 flat out has a no good RF reception capability. I went out and bought a RF remote just to find out that this model has a dud RF. DirecTv should be made responsible for this, afterall they are selling a 2 tuner receiver where a RF remote is a necessity. If the -100 doesn't accomplish this, they should do the right thing and replace it with a workable model. I personally don't need the second tuner and the IF remote works pretty damn good so it's not worth the trouble for me. But in your situation, I'd demand from D* the model -700. :rolleyes:

Robin

I just rarely started a thread on this every subject: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...d-my-directv-universal-rf-remote-control.html and it looks like you're getting as much help as I did. The -100 flat out has a no good RF reception capability. I went out and bought a RF remote just to find out that this model has a dud RF. DirecTv should be made responsible for this, afterall they are selling a 2 tuner receiver where a RF remote is a necessity. If the -100 doesn't accomplish this, they should do the right thing and replace it with a workable model. I personally don't need the second tuner and the IF remote works pretty damn good so it's not worth the trouble for me. But in your situation, I'd demand from D* the model -700. :rolleyes:

Robin

I am trying to get them to swap it out and although most techs are more than willing, what I hear from the reps there is that their system doesn't let them note which HR20 to send out.

I mailed a certified letter to customer service yesterday which included my story and links to these threads as well as others I have found. I even made sure to include threads from their own forums about this. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

$4.99 for HD channels with no SD channel

HD Reciever odd sound problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts