HR20-100 w external hard drive ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lenbo

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Looking at the
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB External Hard Drive

to add to my dvr , has anyone used this with the HR20-100 ? Thanks

Looking at the
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB External Hard Drive

to add to my dvr , has anyone used this with the HR20-100 ? Thanks

I have not used the 1TB version, but have had great success with the 750gb.
The 1 TB was not available when I started using an external drive.
It was pretty much straight forward and easy to use, I've never had a problem with it.

Hope this helps

Jimbo

Try searching. I think there are problems. Don't buy Cavalry products. I did and got junk. I am now using a WesternDigital 1TB Green drive, and an Antec MX-1 case which comes with an HDMI cable. If you shop you can get both for $200. Some swear by the SIIG cable but it may be unnecessary. I already had it so I am using it. I think the Antec case is very well constructed, quiet, and runs cool. The drive mounts on a rubber seat and it has an fan.

Try searching. I think there are problems. Don't buy Cavalry products. I did and got junk. I am now using a WesternDigital 1TB Green drive, and an Antec MX-1 case which comes with an HDMI cable. If you shop you can get both for $200. Some swear by the SIIG cable but it may be unnecessary. I already had it so I am using it. I think the Antec case is very well constructed, quiet, and runs cool. The drive mounts on a rubber seat and it has an fan.

I think the OP was looking for strictly Seagate info EXTERNAL, what your quoting is an internal ....

Has there been trouble with the Seagate 1 TB EXTERNAL drives ?

Heres one at BB that I found:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...abComputerSP&sp=+brand+skuid&usc=abcat0500000

Jimbo

Can anyone give me some advice how to set an external HD up? Also, what other equipment would I need? Thanks

Last I checked my Antec MX-1 was external but I guess I'm stupid.

IF your having to build the unit and place a hard drive into a case to make it an external, it a INTERNAL your making into being able to use as an EXTERNAL .... But then I'm stupid ....

Edit:
While doing just a little bit of investigating, it is exactly what I suspected in the first place:
Antec MX-1: Actively Cooled External HDD Enclosure

This is an External CASE for placing an INTERNAL drive into so you can use it as an EXTERNAL HD for said purpose, but then again, like you already figured out .......... I'm stupid.

Weather must be alittle too dry out there for you.

Jimbo

IF your having to build the unit and place a hard drive into a case to make it an external, it a INTERNAL your making into being able to use as an EXTERNAL .... But then I'm stupid ....

Edit:
While doing just a little bit of investigating, it is exactly what I suspected in the first place:
Antec MX-1: Actively Cooled External HDD Enclosure

This is an External CASE for placing an INTERNAL drive into so you can use it as an EXTERNAL HD for said purpose, but then again, like you already figured out .......... I'm stupid.

Weather must be alittle too dry out there for you.

Jimbo

How about using the word BARE in place of INTERNAL if that is the point you trying to make.

schneid,
Seeing you deleted all your post, it makes my post seem a bit out there with no reference to what I was talking about.

Jimbo

Can anyone give me some advice how to set an external HD up? Also, what other equipment would I need? Thanks

First off if you want to set up an EXTERNAL HD, you have a ESATA connection on the back of your receiver.
I prefer the Seagate HD's because they have had a good string of success between people on this site as well as dbstak.

I have a Seagate 750 GB, they now have 1TB available also.
Make sure you are looking at a unit that supports ESATA , it will say so on the front of the box normally, or in the spec for sure.
I find the Exterior set up are the easiest to use.
I bought mine, unpacked it, plugged it into the rec ESATA port and plugged into an outlet and it fired up.
I rebooted my rec. and it's good to go.

Now some things to remember, as of this time, when you add an EHD , it basically shuts down the internal one in the box, you can't watch anything on the internal, until you disconnect the EHD, then it will fire back up.

I really like mine and have had NO PROBLEMS at all with it.

Here's the Seagate 1 TB I was referring to:
Seagate - FreeAgent Pro 1TB External USB 2.0/eSATA/FireWire Hard Drive - ST310005FPA1E3-RK

Keep in mind , others make them too.

Jimbo

Acomdata pure drive at Frys Electronics is $220 for 1TB and it worked perfectley out of the box for my HR21.

FRYS.com*|*Acomdata

It is beyond me why people bother with internal drives and buy enclosures for them, unless the savings are significant.

There are some posts on DBSTalk that state FAPs do not work on the HR21s. If your HR20 crashes and is replaced with an HR21 you may end up with an expensive bookend. This thread addresses the issue around 6/6: Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB external drive - DBSTalk.Com

Are you saying that NONE of the EHD's are working with the newer HR21's ?
Wow, I wonder if they disabled the ESATA connection.

Jimbo

Acomdata pure drive at Frys Electronics is $220 for 1TB and it worked perfectley out of the box for my HR21.

FRYS.com*|*Acomdata

It is beyond me why people bother with internal drives and buy enclosures for them, unless the savings are significant.

Sometimes there is a significant savings, depending on what your trying to use.
I probably could have put together 2 500 gb in an enclosure when I was originally looking and saved probably $ 50-75 bucks, but I prefer to use the set up thats already one piece.

Jimbo

FRYS.com*|*Acomdata

I tried the pre-assembleded route and went through three Cavalrys, all bad. The fact Seagates don't work with HR21s is another reason to be careful buying pre-assembled products. I've read WD eSATA external drives won't work at all. Since you can hook a BARE SATA drive directly to the HR2X via an eSATA to SATA cable and power it via a PC power supply and have it work, it is hard to figure what Seagate and WD are putting in between to make them not work. You don't see a lot of complaints here from those who have bought BARE drives and mounted them in generic do-it yourself enclosures. I build my own PCs too. I'd much rather have no name on the outside and all quality stuff inside. It may cost more but you know exactly what you bought and avoid nightmares trying to fix a proprietary product if something fails. Wish now I'd built my own external drive from the get go too. I would have saved money and avoided some grief. My Cavalry's all felt hot so I decided an enclosure with a fan was a must. The Antec MX-1 has a fan and the eSATA cable and is only $30 if you get lucky. Drop in a WD Green Power 1tb WD10EACS SATA2 7200rpm 16mb (bare drive) $169.90 w FREE Ground Shipping! from: Mwave.com - WD 1tb WD10EACS SATA2 7200rpm 16mb (bare drive) and you won't be dissatisfied. BTW, Amazon has the Acomdata for $180 w free shipping. I has no fan and no eSATA cable. The reviews are good although some say it is hot to the touch. It isn't stated what brand the drive inside is. Amazon.com: AcomData PHD10000USE-72 PureDrive 1 TB 3.5-Inch USB 2.0/eSATA: Electronics

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts