HR20-700 - First Impressions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I have had the HR20-700 for a week now. Here are my observations with the 0x11b firmware. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar problems:

- Frequent audio dropouts on playback of recorded content.

- After reaching real-time (i.e. after viewing buffered content and fast forwarding to the point of live TV), VERY frequent audio dropouts. Usually, if I change channels at this point then change back, everything works ok, except this caused the system to re-boot one time.

- Only 1 re-boot so far (see above). I did have to manually re-boot the system because it got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to load episode listings.

- GUI is still slow. I was hoping it would be a little faster than the H20. (My dream is for it to eventually be as fast as the HIRD-E86, but I don't think that is ever going to happen).

- Very low noise. I know other people have complained about noise, but I have heard nothing, even though it is sitting in an open cabinet. The installers said each release of the HR20 (mine being the 700) has gotten quieter and quieter. He also said that people who lock the unit up in an enclosed cabinet will hear more noise from the fans, since they need to run more often. Unless the fans are very quiet, I don't think I have heard them turn on at all yet.

- Networking ability works great! I was able to easily connect the HR20 to my router, download and install Windows Media Player 11 on one of my network PCs and instantly I was able to view pictures and listen to mp3s on my TV! No videos yet, but I assume that will be added eventually.

- As far as I can tell, there are 4 tuners (2 off air and 2 sat), but I can only utilize 2 at a time.
i.e.:
if ( (num_sat_programs + num_off_air_programs)<=2)
allow();
else
prompt_user_to_cancel_one_program();

Where allow() would, for each source, begin to stream data from the tuner to the storage media (if recording) or to the TV outputs (if viewing).

It should, for example, be able to record 2 off air programs and 1 sat program while still being able to watch a sat program (this is the most utilized scenario). The firmware should be changed to be something like this:

if ( (num_sat_programs <= 2) && (num_off_air_programs <=2))
allow();
else
prompt_user_to_cancel_one_program();

It does not seem like this should be a huge undertaking. Then again, I don't work for D*, so perhaps their software priorities are somewhere else.

Overall I am happy with the system. Hopefully, the problems will be fixed in the firmware and not just forgotten about (like the H20).

Dan

Apparently the satellite tuners and the OTA tuners have some common circuitry so you can only use two of them simultaneously.

- Networking ability works great! I was able to easily connect the HR20 to my router, download and install Windows Media Player 11 on one of my network PCs and instantly I was able to view pictures and listen to mp3s on my TV! No videos yet, but I assume that will be added eventually.

Dan

Mine is networked, but I haven't been able to do anything with it. What configuration did you have to do to the router & PC?

It was pretty simple. I just ran a standard Ethernet cable from the back of the HR20 to a free port on my NetGear router, then on one of the PCs, I downloaded and installed Windows Media Player 11. I went into WMP11 and had it search for and share all of my pictures and mp3s, then told it to allow any device on the network to connect. I really had no problems at all.

texasbrit: That makes more sense now. Too bad for me.. My wife likes to record Dr. Phil and Paula Dean during the day... They are both on at the same time.. I guess I can't record Star Trek (also on at the same time).

texasbrit: That makes more sense now. Too bad for me.. My wife likes to record Dr. Phil and Paula Dean during the day... They are both on at the same time.. I guess I can't record Star Trek (also on at the same time).

Lagman,
The priorities have to be set somewhere.
Bargin with her, make sure you can record Star Trek
btw, which version(s) do you watch ?

Jimbo

I'm on a mission to record all of the STTNG's.. I may need to make use of the SATA output :)

I'm on a mission to record all of the STTNG's.. I may need to make use of the SATA output :)

Yes you will... need a esata.
That was what 9 years ?
I just bought the " Borg Fan Collective" from CC.
This is great, ALL the Borg episodes ever made.

I have always wanted season 3 and 4 so I could have "Best of Both Worlds" but always found that they wanted way too much money for each season, like $ 90 p/ year.
So this worked out perfect for me.
There also is a "Klingon" and a "Q" set available.

I have always been a NG fan !!!

Jimbo

I've had mine running for about 4 weeks nows.Not sure which software v is on it right now but I haven't forced any of the beta downloads.

1) I get audio drop outs every once in while but not to the point that it really irks me.It's nowhere near as bad as the h20-100 I've got upstairs.

2)I had to reboot a few times because it kept losing the hd locals,they would show up in the guide but when I tried to tune to it I would just get a black screen. This stopped being a problem when I stopped turning the hr20 off when we were not watching tv.I just leave it on all the time now and haven't had the issue since.I have the same issue on my h20 upstairs but leaving it on has not helped that one.

3) My gui is not smooth or as fast to scroll through as my h20-100,not terrible but noticeable.

4)noise is not bad,don't even notice it when watching,heat output isn't to bad either.I had a h20-700 for a while that you could cook eggs on.

5) networking was easy to setup but I haven't tried to access anything from my computer yet.

6)My only real complaint so far is the led lights on the front panel are way to bright and distracting.

- As far as I can tell, there are 4 tuners (2 off air and 2 sat), but I can only utilize 2 at a time.

This is pretty much every DVR out there. Can record 2 things at once and play back a 3rd. Dish has one DVR that can indeed record 3 things at once but that's the only one that I know of. It's more a function of the amount of horsepower in the box then anything else.

If you need to record more then 2 things at once a second DVR covers that quite nicely. I think you'll find many of us have multiple DVRs. On my main TV I have 2 DVRs and an old regular receiver.

jetwrench:

I found a solution to the bright blue lights:

Press (at the same time) the left and right arrow buttons on the front of the HR20. Each time you do this, the lights will dim more and more until they eventually turn off. I believe there are 3 dimmed settings total. Every time you get new firmware, you will have to repeat this procedure.

Dan

jetwrench:

I found a solution to the bright blue lights:

Press (at the same time) the left and right arrow buttons on the front of the HR20. Each time you do this, the lights will dim more and more until they eventually turn off. I believe there are 3 dimmed settings total. Every time you get new firmware, you will have to repeat this procedure.

Dan

that worked great,I just did it,thanks Dan:up

come on, you had to open it to at least find out how to program the remote for your other components...

I got my HR20 yesterday and one thing I have noticed is the improved pricture quality over the HR10. I am using th same TV (Panasonic Plasma 42 in HDTV) and the same HDMI canle and HD is a little better but SD is much better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)