HR20 and Heavy Rain

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You either got a misaligned dish installation or you are cursed. :eek:

I agree with misaligned dish at least. :)
Also connections/cables could be getting wet.

Vurbano, I thought you were going to repeak your dish the last time you had rain issues?

I remember when I was installing my Slimline and HR20-700, I had a bad connector at the reciever. I noticed when it came disconnected, the picture actually froze up right were it was. Very strange. Didn't have to reset the reciever or anything, just repaired the connection.

Sounds like the same issue you are having. Check you connections.

Good luck!

I remember when I was installing my Slimline and HR20-700, I had a bad connector at the reciever. I noticed when it came disconnected, the picture actually froze up right were it was. Very strange. Didn't have to reset the reciever or anything, just repaired the connection.

Sounds like the same issue you are having. Check you connections.

Good luck!

Same thing would happen if you disconnected a coax feed from a rev. while it's turned on, the picture will freeze and stay on your screen.
So yes a bad connection could cause freeze up problems ...

I agree with misaligned dish at least. :)
Also connections/cables could be getting wet.

Vurbano, I thought you were going to repeak your dish the last time you had rain issues?
Nothing wrong with the DISH. Its Newly installed. Last tienm I checked all signals were 90-100

Nothing wrong with the DISH. Its Newly installed. Last tienm I checked all signals were 90-100

If you're still suffering rain fade you may want to get it checked for bad connections from the dish on down.

It rains a lot harder (most of the time) here in Houston than it does in Virginia and I've only suffered from rain fade when the storms were at their worst toward the Southwest on my 3 LNB dish.

Something is causing your rain fade and, if it's not the dish alignment, leaking connectors are (more than likely) the cause.

Hope this helps, I want you to be a happy D* customer.:rolleyes:

If you're still suffering rain fade you may want to get it checked for bad connections from the dish on down.

It rains a lot harder (most of the time) here in Houston than it does in Virginia and I've only suffered from rain fade when the storms were at their worst toward the Southwest on my 3 LNB dish.

Something is causing your rain fade and, if it's not the dish alignment, leaking connectors are (more than likely) the cause.

Hope this helps, I want you to be a happy D* customer.:rolleyes:
That is truely amazing that rain isnt capable of coming down as hard here as in Houston. Must not be the case today though because I see far more severe thunderstorm warnings and watches in VA than TX.
NOAA's National Weather Service
NWS/Storm Prediction Center - Watch, Warning, Advisory Display
:rolleyes:

That is truely amazing that rain isnt capable of coming down as hard here as in Houston. Must not be the case today though because I see far more severe thunderstorm warnings and watches in VA than TX. NOAA's National Weather Service :rolleyes:

Vurbano, your mind is obviously made up, and you're not going to be confused by someone suggesting possible solutions for your rain fade problem.

I'm not going to get into another "mine's bigger (or in this case worse) than yours" regarding the rain in Houston vs. Virginia. Suffice it to say it can rain hard at times in both places.

Why are you so unwilling to even attempt to check your connections for water intrusion? You say your dish is aimed correctly, so bad (leaking) conections are the most likely source of your rain fade.

Are you afraid it might solve your problem, then you'd have one less reason to continually bitch about D* and their service?

I'm not going to get into another "mine's bigger (or in this case worse) than yours" regarding the rain in Houston vs. Virginia. Suffice it to say it can rain hard at times in both places.
You made the statement not me. ANy further discussion of a comparison would require the 2, 5 and 10 year rainfall intensity curves for Newport News and Houston TX.

You made the statement not me. ANy further discussion of a comparison would require the 2, 5 and 10 year rainfall intensity curves for Newport News and Houston TX.

You just don't (or won't) get it do you?

Trying to reason with you is a little like mud wrestling with a pig, you both get muddy, and the pig loves it.

Now answer my question about why you are so unwilling to check your connectors just so you can continue to bitch about D*.

You just don't (or won't) get it do you?

Trying to reason with you is a little like mud wrestling with a pig, you both get muddy, and the pig loves it.

Now answer my question about why you are so unwilling to check your connectors just so you can continue to bitch about D*.
Connections are fine. Nice and checked. If you want to reason with someone next time don't shoot your mouth off with statements like:

It rains a lot harder (most of the time) here in Houston than it does in Virginia ........
Its not a good way to start.

Currently my signal meter is
90 on 101
97 on 110
97 on 119
0 on 99b
0 on 103a occasionally I get a reading I guess this will have to be corrected for mpeg4 sats. The installer was pretty much clueless about the new sats. Infact I had to lend him a small ladder, he only had a large one and he dropped the dish at one point onto the deck from about 8 feet. I also had to hook up the HR20 for him because he couldnt figure out what wires went where. I was happy just to have that blue shirt idiot gone after trying to explain to him that I didnt want my SD stretched. He said then my HD wouldnt fill the screen if I didnt. :haha The boob didnt even have HD at home. :rolleyes: He even said to set it up for 3lnb only because the 5lnb would just give error messages. I reconfigured that after he left. And his grounding job? I still have to fix that.

Last edited:
Check out the install videos at Solid Signal. If he didn't "fine tune" it like that then the dish isn't properly aligned. Especially for the KA sats.

Vurbano, you are close enough to Baltimore, Washington DC, and Raleigh that you should be showing some signal on 99 and 103. My guess is that your dish isn't properly aligned.

Since you piqued my curiosity I check the National Weather Service historical records for both Houston and Norfolk (as close to you as I could get from NWS).

The National Weather Service has published historical averages (year to year) up to the year 2000 for both Norfolk and Houston

For the historical period 1971-2000, Norfolk's average rainfall was 45.73 inches per year.

For the historical period 1971-2000, Houston's average rainfall was 47.84 inches per year.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Norfolk was 8.93 inches.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Houston was 14.58 inches.

So who does get the most (and the hardest) rainfalls?

Since you piqued my curiosity I check the National Weather Service historical records for both Houston and Norfolk (as close to you as I could get from NWS).

The National Weather Service has published historical averages (year to year) up to the year 2000 for both Norfolk and Houston

For the historical period 1971-2000, Norfolk's average rainfall was 45.73 inches per year.

For the historical period 1971-2000, Houston's average rainfall was 47.84 inches per year.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Norfolk was 8.93 inches.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Houston was 14.58 inches.

So who does get the most (and the hardest) rainfalls?
Intensity and quantity :rolleyes:....... again go get rainfall intensity numbers for 2, 5 and 10 year storms. They are available from your city's stormwater engineering dept. And we are not talking about some one day record. That means nothing, we are talking about typical thunerstorm rainfall intensity in in/hr for a short duration storm.

Vurbano, you are close enough to Baltimore, Washington DC, and Raleigh that you should be showing some signal on 99 and 103. My guess is that your dish isn't properly aligned.
I have some 97's. I dont see how bringing the signal from 97 to 99 is going to keep it from going to zero during a storm. I emailed a fellow OTA forum member last night that said D* was out for him in Chesapeake for 55 mintues during the last Nascar race. I guess he has an equipment problem too?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)