HR20 DVR Picture not centered!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

martin63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
39
0
El Paso, TX
HR20 DVR Picture not centered

I just got one, and I can't seem to center the picture on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?
 
Last edited:
martin63 said:
I just got one, and I can't seem to center the picture on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?
This is in the manual.

If you go into settings, display - there is a control where you can adjust the control centering to match you screen - some TV's & projectors actually come mis-aligned and people don't know it and don't change it until this kind of thing surfaces.
 
I can't seem to find it. I know the my H20 had a centering tab in the display section of the menu. This one does not offer that tab.
 
This happens on my TV when I don't have the DISPLAY set to "NATIVE". Try setting yours to native by going to SETTINGS, DISPLAY and select "NATIVE". See if that helps.
 
martin63 said:
I tried it and it did not work for me. I am really disappointed in the way this DVR is performing.
Is this option in your TV maybe ?
How is the DVR not working for you, it sounds like the video, not the DVR funtion.
Call this number (s)(D* ) and see if they can help you .

1-800-263-0028 or 1-800-695-9251

Let us know how this gets resolved.

Jimbo
 
Jimbos said:
Is this option in your TV maybe ?
How is the DVR not working for you, it sounds like the video, not the DVR funtion.
Call this number (s)(D* ) and see if they can help you .

1-800-263-0028 or 1-800-695-9251

Let us know how this gets resolved.

Jimbo

I guess I am dissappointed in the video portion. First it is shifted to the left and it is extremely slow in changing channels. When I use the channel up/down key, the banner doesn't keep up with the channel changing. It doesn't display the information in conjuction with the number displayed. Then when it does change channels it goes black for a second and then the picture comes in. Now I noticed that the NFL highlights didn't download to this DVR. It just seems like I keep finding more things that don't seem to be working right. I'll call the number and see if they can help me.
 
martin63 said:
I tried it and it did not work for me. I am really disappointed in the way this DVR is performing.
This is not to criticize, but the ability to center a picture is a simple process that I explained before in an earlier post about the setup menu. Depending on how your TV/projector is set up and/or aligned, you may require such an adjustment. In my case, niether the HR20 HD DVR or H20 HD receiver required this, but the reason they include this adjustment capability is that in certain cases, some may need it.

Some of the other symptoms you describe indicate that you may not have the most recent firmware on your unit - version oxcc. Perhaps a cold reboot (red button) may force a download and fix your problems.

My unit was installed in 35 minutes total, automatically downloaded the firmware update, and has worked flawlessly. I know of 3 others that have the HR20 so far, and they had similar install experiences and have had 0 problems. If the reboot doesn't cure your woes, perhaps you may want to call D* for their help.
 
Satmeister said:
This is not to criticize, but the ability to center a picture is a simple process that I explained before in an earlier post about the setup menu. Depending on how your TV/projector is set up and/or aligned, you may require such an adjustment. In my case, niether the HR20 HD DVR or H20 HD receiver required this, but the reason they include this adjustment capability is that in certain cases, some may need it.

Some of the other symptoms you describe indicate that you may not have the most recent firmware on your unit - version oxcc. Perhaps a cold reboot (red button) may force a download and fix your problems.

My unit was installed in 35 minutes total, automatically downloaded the firmware update, and has worked flawlessly. I know of 3 others that have the HR20 so far, and they had similar install experiences and have had 0 problems. If the reboot doesn't cure your woes, perhaps you may want to call D* for their help.
I think the slowness for the picture to show, is due to the change in resolution from channel to channel, I do hope D* addresses this issue , it happens on everyone's receiver if you use the native mode (as I do) so you get the picture the way it was meant to be seen.

Jimbo
 
Try turning Native mode off and see if you still have a centering problem. Your TV may be having an issue with the switching of resolutions all the time and the overscan is getting wacked out causing the centering issue.

I have had zero problem with centering. Didn't even realize it was an issue. But then when I calibrated my HDTV the overscan is very slight. Some HDTV's overscan is pretty bad and you need to calibrate it to fix it.
 
Jimbos said:
I think the slowness for the picture to show, is due to the change in resolution from channel to channel, I do hope D* addresses this issue , it happens on everyone's receiver if you use the native mode (as I do) so you get the picture the way it was meant to be seen.

Jimbo
I don't use native mode in either my H20 receiver or HR20 DVR - it is a main cause of slowness and wierd screen changes for a moment when changing channels of different HD resolutions. My channel changes are pretty crisp - I leave things set to 1080i all the time (projector on DVR and HD set on H20 both support it).

Also, in the settings, you can adjust the menu change settings to 2 seconds, which also speeds things up as you're navigating around.
 
Jimbos said:
Is this option in your TV maybe ?
How is the DVR not working for you, it sounds like the video, not the DVR funtion.
Call this number (s)(D* ) and see if they can help you .

1-800-263-0028 or 1-800-695-9251

Let us know how this gets resolved.

Jimbo
I tried both numbers you posted. The first, I have no idea who it's for. The second is for tech support but need to have a pin. So I called the other number that I have. They transfered me around and no one had any idea what to do. A tech that was here today, to adjust the dish, could not figure it out. No one seems to know why it is shifted to the left.
 
bonscott87 said:
Try turning Native mode off and see if you still have a centering problem. Your TV may be having an issue with the switching of resolutions all the time and the overscan is getting wacked out causing the centering issue.

I have had zero problem with centering. Didn't even realize it was an issue. But then when I calibrated my HDTV the overscan is very slight. Some HDTV's overscan is pretty bad and you need to calibrate it to fix it.

The native is off. I even tried turning it on but the problem still persists. It slowed down the channel changing even more when I changed it to native.
 
martin63 said:
The native is off. I even tried turning it on but the problem still persists. It slowed down the channel changing even more when I changed it to native.
In addition to changing to native, you have to change the setting to 2 seconds for channel changes in the setup menu.
 
martin63 said:
I tried both numbers you posted. The first, I have no idea who it's for. The second is for tech support but need to have a pin. So I called the other number that I have. They transfered me around and no one had any idea what to do. A tech that was here today, to adjust the dish, could not figure it out. No one seems to know why it is shifted to the left.
I just got off the phone using the first number about 20 minutes ago ..
1-800-263-0028
It goes straight to Advanced Tech Support

Jimbo
 
That's weird, I tried it 3 times and I kept getting a message giving me another phone number to call. The other number is for online girls. Hmmm... I just checked it and I get the same message. I redialed it twice and got through. Something is screwy.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.
***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)